HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you built a balsa plane from a kit in the last 12 months?
Yes 392 75.82%
No 125 24.18%
Voters: 517. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:21 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
Just finished a Greatplanes T-craft and I started my Dumas Waco YMF-5. I build about 1-2 a year. I used to build a lot as a teenager then bought ARF's for a while when I had no time to build and now I'm getting back into it, trying to take my time, and build high quality planes, unlike those that I built over 10 years ago. I am trying to work up my skills to tackle a Hostetler 35% Pitts S1-11B in a few years.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:26 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
That is one sweet!! C. table! I have not built a kit in 25 years, but since a long absence from the hobby I found all these ARF plane "kit's". I can spend a week taking my time "building" a ARF. I am a master cabinetmaker and a shipwright with 40 years in the trade. I gave up the notion that if you don't go into the forest, cut the tree down and cut in into lumber, and then mill it yourself, your cheating, years ago. I am glad that I can now cheat!!! and NO, it's not cheating... Dave/ZZ

Brads web site. We are not trying to sell you anything!

http://woodwonderboatworks.yolasite.com/
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Aug 27, 2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Gustavus, OH
Joined Oct 2007
490 Posts
I'm currently covering a Super Pacer that I am building from scratch. Lots of work, but lots of fun. I'm going really "old school" and doing a silkspan and dope covering also. This is my first balsa scratch build.

I was unable to find a kit, other than a trainer, for a .25 glow engine, so I decided to build my own.

Getting real difficult to find glow kits in the .25 to .40 size though.

Next project is a .10 size Spacewalker from a kit.

Yes, most of my airplanes are electric, but I also love glow engines.

Cliff
cliffh is offline Find More Posts by cliffh
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:28 PM
ward cleaver's boy...
waco,texas
Joined May 2008
665 Posts
Yes... Building a top-flite giant scale p47 right now, (started around christmas) Im really enjoying the build, it's my first but it wont be my last.
the beave is offline Find More Posts by the beave
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Just about a year ago I finished up a Tritle Andreasson BA-4b bipe. I built and finished a Quaker 84" over a two or three month span in spring/early summer of this year. But no balsa kits in the queue at the moment. I've signed up to build a Mojo 40 for Frank's build-a-thon.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:50 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Kimber, beautiful boat y'all have there. I built a couple like that early in my life, '74, when I was up in Cape Cod, but later ended up on building large ocean going schooner's, the last being one built for the National Geographic Society that was to sail to the Galapagos and then down to Antarctica where they sent some equipment box'es I built to the South Pole... My business card on the South Pole... My first boat was a 8' three point hydro that I built with my dad in '69. I finished up my career building the furniture and interior's for 100' to 200' luxury yachts on the Ms. gulf coast. Last day at work was the day before Katrina hit the coast almost 7 years ago to the day. Now another one is at our door... Dave/ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:36 PM
United States, NJ, Browns Mills
Joined May 2005
1,802 Posts
I haven't built a balsa kit since 2010 (Ace Mach None), BUT, since then, I've designed and built 8 of my own balsa models (four of which have been or are due to be published in QEFI).

So, I voted "No" because I haven't, strictly speaking, built any wooden kits in the last 12 months. Maybe you should have asked if folks have built any wooden models (from kit, plan, or scratch) in the last year?

CD
Captain Dunsel is offline Find More Posts by Captain Dunsel
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,488 Posts
Scratch from my own plans, 105" Quaker 2000.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
I voted "yes" because I missed the word "kit", which is only actually mentioned once in the question. I DO build my own balsa planes like you asked (four in the past 12 months); they just don't come from a box.

If you're only looking specifically for kit builders, it might make sense to make that more clear.
OK, I added the word "kits" in a few places. I hope that helps.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Murocflyer; Aug 27, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:26 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
209 Posts
I have been back in this hobby for a year and a half, after about a 10 year layoff. I was a bit disappointed in not being able to go to one of the two local hobby shops and buy a kit.
The first plane since being back was gp ep falcon. Got bored of that real quick. Built a q-tee from plans, then I built a generic shoulder wing plane off my own design and wound up building 4 more of those for others. Also built a hots electric from plans, an alien aircraft blinker, a scratch built pusher of my own design to carry a camera, and currently working on a sail plane and a mini duelist. That's 8 and 2 in the works that are all balsa in 1 1/2 years.
In that time I have had the ep falcon that I gave away, a park zone mustang that I gave away, a value hobby trainer arf that I gave away, a elite ascent that I gave away. I still have a slow stick, but really don't know what to with it except tie a string to it and use it for a kite. I did try to scratch build a foam plane and was actually close to having it complete when I tripped and fell on it, crushing it(no joke).
As you can tell that for me the enjoyment that I get from this involves balsa, not that I can not appreciate what others use for building material and what they create. But for me foam and arf's just do not have the same appeal as balsa.
vicrider is offline Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:36 PM
S.E. Michigan
Joined Feb 2006
844 Posts
I built a Mountain Models Switchback kit and a couple of scratchbuilt rubber powered free flight models.
Lost_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by Lost_Dawg
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:37 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
321 Posts
If you were to take a look over at the ProBro site, you would find that the majority of guys over there build from kits or scratch build. That place is what turned me on to building. I never knew what fun I was missing until I started building. Putting together and flying an ARF is one thing, but actually flying something that you have built from the ground up is a totally different experience.
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dunsel View Post
I haven't built a balsa kit since 2010 (Ace Mach None), BUT, since then, I've designed and built 8 of my own balsa models (four of which have been or are due to be published in QEFI).

So, I voted "No" because I haven't, strictly speaking, built any wooden kits in the last 12 months. Maybe you should have asked if folks have built any wooden models (from kit, plan, or scratch) in the last year?

CD
CD,

You voted correctly. I am only concerned with folks who build or do not build airplanes from kits. As you may or may not know, this whole question, hence the poll, came from discussions about the building clinic we are hosting here on RCG. I spoke with the folks at my LHS and at my club field and the number one question was "Who build planes from kits anymore?"

We hope to at least at a minumum find out the answer to that question, or at least attempt to.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:29 PM
Not failing=Not trying enough
United States, IA, Coralville
Joined Jun 2011
360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
CD,

You voted correctly. I am only concerned with folks who build or do not build airplanes from kits. As you may or may not know, this whole question, hence the poll, came from discussions about the building clinic we are hosting here on RCG. I spoke with the folks at my LHS and at my club field and the number one question was "Who build planes from kits anymore?"

We hope to at least at a minumum find out the answer to that question, or at least attempt to.

Frank
In that case, I retract my "yes" vote. I must have not read close enough earlier, and thought it included all building from balsa. Last winter I built my first plane(from plans) and now I've started drafting plans for a build this winter.
Wehrdo is offline Find More Posts by Wehrdo
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
New Bethlehem, Pa
Joined Nov 2006
785 Posts
No, not in the last year, but I do have a Nifty 50 kit hidden away for the winter. I just don't know if I will go Glo or Electric. John
jbrooks01 is offline Find More Posts by jbrooks01