HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:18 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Fortunately, there are still quite a few do-it-yourself scale folk at meetings in the Canberra region. In fact it was one of those that inspired me to do the DVII

Pat (mowing lawns..)
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:51 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
A tentative start has been made on the wing fillets. The plan shows some outlines and vague suggestions of "....soft block here.." for the forward bit but doesn't describe the big rear part which looks like a Spitfire's fillet. So I'll probably plank it with 3/32 sheet and sand to shape. The fillet will be built on a 1/32 ply base forming part of the wing seat. But so far only, the TE framing at the root has been done..
I also added the wiring for the lights and aileron servos before doing some bottom sheeting..

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 17, 2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
607 Posts
Hi Pat – looks great! and that is one very tidy workplace.

Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:46 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,236 Posts
Pat, I have been lurking here. Really impressed with your work (as usual) and delighted to see the iconic form emerging from the balsa dust.

Regards,Jeff
jhspring is online now Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Boy, that looks perilous!

Nice work, done quickly Pat. The 111 has long been a favourite and I've considered the Chas Maud plan a number of times, but always put it on the back burner for one reason or another. It is a famous plane which is too rarely modeled.

Martin
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:30 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Not so Perilous.....

To set your mind at rest Martin, the front bulkhead of the fuselage is firmly clamped to the bench - assuming that was what was worrying. Main problem is, the tail keeps bumping into that Goldberg Ultimate airframe on the ceiling - I must move it, or better still, cover it and give it back to owner!
The Chas Maund plan is good but the airplane has a few quirks, as does the plan and involves a lot of head-scratching -but that's part of the fun

Now back to those damned fillets.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 18, 2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:33 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Fishing for Fillets....

I searched this forum, read the relevant bit of Gordon Whitehead's book and did it from what I had gleaned. GW suggests that if the fillet's formers are done properly, a sheet fillet should be possible. So after a bit of sanding and filing, I got a piece of scrap 1mm sheet to fit exactly where I wanted in one piece. After making the template, two 1/16 soft basa sheet parts were cut, wet, wrapped and dried to form some easy to fit (hopefully) fillets - missing out the very from bit over the LE. The edges were chamfered down to nothing and the sheets CAed along the ply support section following the wing curve. Theye were also stuck to the fillet formers. The upper edge was left unglued at this time. The back end of the sheet was then coaxed over against the fuselage side and the lower TE of the sheet glued to the horizontal fillet TE. Finally, some Titebond was squeezed into the top join with the fuselage and taped down.

The very front portion was made by cutting some wedges from 1/4 soft sheet cross-grain with 45 deg bevelled edges. These were easily bent around and CAed in place. The outer surfaces were then hollowed with a 1/2 round file and sandpaper.

Nothing is final yet - some awkward edges to reinforce, mistakes to fix and probably a bit of lightweight filler. But the upper fillets are done and weren't so bad after all

The underside will have to wait as a lot of stuff is still to be done down below.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:41 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Out in the sun...

Although a very windy day, the sun was shining and I wanted some fillety shots so outside with the camera.

Very rough around the wing root areas yet but I like that every bit done to the basic airframe makes it a little more He111-ish

I'll have a spell from the airframe now and tidy up the workshop. Then I'll contemplate something totally frivolous - the cockpit glass-house

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:13 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
Oh man Pat, that really is a nice build. Have you got the front bits or do you have to vac form etc?
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:19 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Darook - watch this space Seriously, the whole build has to be scratch-built. Sadly no mouldings or vac-form parts are available. The nose is too big for a simplistic approach so I'll do it as the plans show - completely built up from separate frame parts - mostly of 1/8 ply. The glazing panels are scale - some compound curved, others flat panels....It should test my patience and scroll saw skills

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:15 AM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Aug 2000
2,012 Posts
Love the way the hinges look. It really is a 111 characteristic

Martin.
Martin Irvine is offline Find More Posts by Martin Irvine
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:31 PM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Interesting, as usual.

I just saw this, and the balsa work is already finished.

I am itching to start cutting some balsa as well, but can not get finished with the Fairchild.

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:51 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,664 Posts
Things like the big hinges and balances are as much of a 111 characteristic as the wing roots in my book Martin - essential character (I guess that's why I went to the bother!)

Bulent - 'cutting balsa' is my greatest joy in building - after spending almost a year on the DVII, I just had to start something - and the 111 plans were dropped at my feet by a colleague so off we went.....until the Rake Great Lakes Trainer appeared - that was a diversion so I did it quick to get back to the uncertanties of an old plan, and an odd subject and many problems to solve. I have pushed ahead with it to get past the 1/2 finished point where my head is usually thinking "...what next...." I already know what will be next but am just collecting data for that...next year!
I'm not going to detail the Heinkel - at 1/12 scale, it woul be fiddly but there is enough character in the basic airframe to keep me interested.
I'm drifting into your world of tissue/dope/paint etc with the coveing on this one - 000 Silkspan doped over the balsa sheet - I'm not experienced with it and hope it works out.

Keep on with the Fairchild - it's almost there

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:08 AM
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Apr 2006
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
Darook - watch this space Seriously, the whole build has to be scratch-built. Sadly no mouldings or vac-form parts are available. The nose is too big for a simplistic approach so I'll do it as the plans show - completely built up from separate frame parts - mostly of 1/8 ply. The glazing panels are scale - some compound curved, others flat panels....It should test my patience and scroll saw skills

Pat
FWhoooar! Sounds like you are going to be really busy. Well. I sure am looking forward to the nose assembly. I await in anticipation!
darook is offline Find More Posts by darook
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:05 AM
Turkey
Joined May 2002
2,168 Posts
Pat,

I hope you find the right materials for finishing, like dope of known type, colored dope or other paint compatible with the dope, etc. I am at a loss there. I have received Doculam now, so that may be better - on the next model.

If you think of light silk covering I advise using it over tissue - I saw a remarkable advantage there, much better than bare silk - maybe you have seen it on my thread. Of course that was for Sig silk with a very open weave, don't know about heavier silk.

Your work is always inspiring for me..

Bulent
bmutlugil is offline Find More Posts by bmutlugil