HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:37 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Thanks Charles - I suspect you posted the link to the spitfire build, but I found your steering solution in the B17 thread - beautiful model

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
In a bit of a flap.....

I had to take a break while Titebond dries on the flap sheeting before I can sand it so took some pictures of progress.
The original plan had a rather '70s method of hingeing with bits of balsa, ply, Formica and wire where the hinges had to assembled and fitted before the flapwas sheeted over - tricky stuff! So I modified the design and will use large Robart pin-hinges - much easier.
I have carried on a bit about the curved flaps - these pictures dont show it very well yet but the flap follows the root curvature of the wing plus the TE curves upward and blends into the large fillets at the roots to be fitted later. Also, the LE curves slightly inward which I'll show later when the hinges are installed. But now it's done - almost.
Although the flap spar is quite curved, the hinges must obviously be in a straight line (I could leave the middle one out so a simple jig was made for the drill press to get them straight and vertical - both essential.
The LE of each flap is curved in two dimensions and will be strip planked and sanded to fit snuggly into the wing.
An interesting little trick was to change the grain direction of the flap undersheeting so the inboard curvature had the grain at right angle to make it easier. Photo #2 shows the splice...

The flap horns are internal and I'm thinking about that now (my brain hurts.......)

Although somewhat off-topic - it is Spring here in Oz but this morning it snowed - bitterly cold+damaging wind = no flying........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:21 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:58 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
...and yet more flapping....

The basics of the flaps finished with the planking of the leading edge with 3/32 strips. As usual, I put a bead of Titebond (aliphatic) along the edge joints to make sanding easier, and then medium CA (wonderful stuff) on the plank-to-rib joints. The back of the strip was sprayed with CA accelerator and careful pushed into place until the CA grabbed. Half an hour later, the planking was sanded until it was a close fit into the flap location and a few pins and another picture.....
The hingeing arrangement has been decided and that should be next.

Everything was thrown together for a reality check and the flaps just start to give a clue that it is an He-111

Flying day tomorrow - getting more stick time on the Great Lakes and the D.VII...

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Looking great Pat

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:14 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,690 Posts
Nice
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Great work Pat, your doing a very nice job.

Bill
Bill Smudge is offline Find More Posts by Bill Smudge
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:59 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Thanks folks - it's sort of a holiday building something that's WW2-ish rather than a biplane (although the next biplane is in the planning/negotiation stages....)

A few days have been spent swearing, changing, pulling apart, learning and finally succeeding (mostly). Those curvy flaps are logical enough once the geometry is sorted but a bit of a pain while trying to make it all work!

Basically, the hinges must all be in a straight line (obviously) but the curved wing TE and flap LE should ideally coincide at full up and down. I got it fairly good given the limitation of balsa and ply but it should suffice for all but the picky

The hinge trunnions are of 1/4 or 3/8 balsa with 1/32 ply sides for reinforcing. The large Robart hinges will be glued down through the trunnions and into the rear spar. The trick was getting the right amount of hinge in the wing AND the flap so the opened and closed properly. It's now close enough and I can move on......

Anybody know what colour the spaces inside the wing would be in this class of aircraft? Obviously it is aluminium and may be some sort of chromate stuff......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 15, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:30 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
A question of balance.....

A small scale detail I did before it was forgotten was the aileron mass balances. Just bits of hard sheet glued into the ail. LE and corresponding slots cut in the wing which had already been reinforced to allow the cuts......

I wanted to start thinking about the huge wing fillets so have reassembled it all and am pondering.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:45 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I notice Pat simply dumped the GLT nose first in the bin out front after he found such a compelling read!

The He is looking very nice... and dwarf-size!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:00 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Very impressive mate!

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
a couple of tips.....

The wing just didn't look right in the clipped configuration so I made the rounded 'proper' ones
Having read Frank Von J's 109 thread several times, I was interested in an alternative to the usual ".....fashion from soft block..." - the tips are about 3/4" thick so thought about two layers of 3/8 with some hollowing but didn't have any 3/8 left but lots of soft 1/4. A core was cut to shape and glued to the end rib centreline (also the aileron), a bunch of lightening holes drilled (cut with a brass tube in the electric drill), a tiny sub-rib added to support some sheet and the outline edges chamfered to glue the sheet at the edge. The grain of the tip core was fore-and-aft and the covering 1/16" sheet, span-wise. The sheet was stuck down with Titebond and when dry, sanded back to match the wing. The edge will be sanded properly when the underside is finished. Then the ailerons will be cut away and finshed off.

That'll do for today - dinner is calling.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,559 Posts
Looks great Pat, as usual.

Tony
TPfingston is offline Find More Posts by TPfingston
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: North Las Vegas 1971
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
Making a Dynam Razorback Snafu
Joined Apr 2006
4,500 Posts
I like the flaps hidden hinges.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:16 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
"....I notice Pat simply dumped the GLT nose first in the bin out front after he found such a compelling read! ..."

I doubt that book would win any lit'ry prizes but I couldn't pass it up on the title It was 50c at a local womens institute garage sale!

Wing tips are done so I'm still pondering the wing fillets. We have a district scale comp in a couple of weeks and while I may enter and fly the DVII and GLT, I'd like the 111 as a 'work in progress' to show the ARFers some real balsa wood. I hope I'll have the wing fillets started and maybe get some of the nose framing cut to make it more 111-ish

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
All the "fully scaled out foamie" crew will stand there scratching their heads with no idea what they looking at! You will have some explaining to do mate

Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps