HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:37 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Been in a "spanish" He 111. Merlin powered :-) Believe it's crashed since?
The last regularly operated CASA belonged to the Commemorative Air Force and was operated by the Arizona wing. It was destroyed in a fatal crash in 2003. I had the pleasure of seeing the old girl many times and it was always a treat. The loss of the crew and the aircraft was a huge blow.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:14 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,603 Posts
Yea what a loss..I was able to Play around inside it about 6months before the crash
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:32 PM
Making a Dynam Razorback Snafu
Joined Apr 2006
4,510 Posts
Subbed.
Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:21 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
The Tale Continues...

I spent the morning at the opthalmologist (did I get that right? ) but while having an afternoon nap (joys of retirement!) I worked out how to do the elevator hinges. The axis of the hinges is about 15mm back into the elevators themselves making the LE extend upward when deflected down. I wanted to use hinge-points as I had a lot and they seemed easier than the plan method of bits of Formica, balsa and other stuff. The hinges are supported in little triangle shaped hard balsa blocks fixed to the tailplane TE bringing the pivot out 15mm. The other side is fixed into balsa blocks in the elevator LE. I got all six hinges aligned and moving freely as one Not only that, the elevator assembly can be reversed end-for-end and they STILL lineup - amazing!

The wire U-link joining the elevators was epoxied in place before the upper and lower halves were finally glued. AND I didn't forget to silver solder the brass horn in place first! The rudder will have a similar horn and all hidden behind a balsa tailcone later.........

Now I have to start cutting main wing parts. I want to get this started before rushing into another Rakian build.....

Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:42 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Slow Progress..

It's taken a few days to get this basic centre-section done. Most of it was trying to interpret the plans! The various ply/balsa laminated spars were not at all obvious but I've dry-assembled the basics to see what I may have done wrong. Mostly nothing Some adjustments to slot depths/widths are needed but mostly it looks about right. The nacelles are situated adjacent to the outermost ribs shown. The main spar has vertical shear-webbing to be fitted after it is all glued together. But before then, I need to cut access holes for servo leads (many) and battery leads to the motors. Every thing will be sheeted in 1/16 balsa with most of the front wing section double-skinned.

The ribs under the fuselage are exactly 3" deep - I get two or three ribs from each sheet of balsa ........ now I've almost run out and will have to wait for the next trip to town for more! I also need the motors and retracts before going much further so building may slow considerably. But, as always, there is another Peter Rake model to be built...........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 02, 2012 at 03:52 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,857 Posts
She's already a beaut, Pat. It sure looks as though you've captured the smooth lines of the fuselage and tail surfaces. Any chance you could post some close-ups of your elevator hinges?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:17 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Steve - your wish is my command......

The little balsa stubs are a bit fragile at the moment but will obviously be plenty strong enough when the hinges are epoxied in place.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
She is looking great, , looks very sleek, are the wing fillets built up balsa, or another method Pat?

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:44 PM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2004
1,908 Posts
Hey Pat, wow another really cool bird. And you are really cranking this one out! My hat is off to you, I always liked the 111 but so many compound curves . Keep up the good work.

D-Rock
D-Rock is offline Find More Posts by D-Rock
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:07 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Thanks folks - Craig, the wing fillets will be planked over triangular formers. They are why I wanted to get the CS done so the fuselage doublers could be cut accurately to match the wing. But I've almost run out of balsa so may have to put this aside for a short while.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:22 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Ah, makes sense, she will look a treat when done. So any clues on what your, and Pete's next masterpiece will be? A nationality at least must be about due for something from the Royal Flying Corps eh

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:56 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
Hey Craig - the next Rakian endeavour will be (I hope) a quickish build, CIVILIAN! and from North America! Now there's some clues for you.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Sep 02, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 08:07 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,690 Posts
Something with a "Curtis" in the name?
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Sep 03, 2012, 10:58 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,857 Posts
Thanks for the close-ups, Pat. That's really slick, and I've filed your pics away for future use!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:22 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
To keep Ian (Ozybard) at bay, a recent trip to the LHS resulted in 20 sheets of balsa, misc wire, tube, glues etc, plus, $$$ worth of E-Flite retracts. I'd considered the cheaper HobbyKIng ones but the LHS has these in stock so........

Meanwhile, back to the Great Lakes Trainer

Pat
RCG Plus Member