HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Yes Phil, it is a bit daunting! Mostly the size of that wing (which is by far the most difficult bit). If I ever built it again (highly unlikely!) there are many things I'd do better, if not differently. Sorting out UC retracts, tailwheel steering, wing servos etc Plus paying a bit more attention to the tricky areas around the nacelles and where they fit the wings.............
But I'm sure you will have fun.
I just got the plans for a project in the near future and it's even more intimidating although not a lot bigger Challenges are good for you - I think............
The long delay since my last progress report is not only Xmas but prepping he wing for its final paint....

Pat (challenged..)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:20 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Pressing on........

With the excitement of a couple of new builds looming (Christmas presents - sort of ) it is getting harder to keep on with this beast! But, a bit of masking and some Tamiya acrylic and the upper-surface painting is mostly done.

The areas to be masked were edged with Tamiya 1/4" wide tape (the nicest and most expensive I've found...) and the upper surface dark green (Dunkelgrun) areas sprayed Tamiya Dark Green. When dry, the remaing black-green zones (Schwartzgrun) was masked and sprayed Tamiya Black-Green. The undersides had been previously sprayed light blue without any masking.

There is a bit of touching up to do yet but I'll leave that until the flaps and ailerons are ready for paint. The slightly blotchy look was deliberate to avoid a 'factory fresh' look and make the grottying up a little easier later.

The cowls have a lot of work to do as, like the BF109 (similar engines), there are air scoops, big supercharger intakes and exhausts to do yet.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,639 Posts
This plane is really becoming very nice !! also like the wheather on the other side of the globe

Keep up the good work !!

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is online now Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:40 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,302 Posts
Really pretty in a pit bull sort of way. Very good work.
Best,
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
A Day in the Workshop....

I didn't go flying today (Sunday) because of the wind, so finished off the wing control surfaces.

Like the rest, the surfaces were filled/tissue-covered/doped and then painted.
For anybody interested, the balsa was fine sanded and then given a sloppy mix of dope thinned about 50% and mixed to a slurry with talcum powder. When dry, it was sanded and then any cracks or dips were filled with lightweight spackle crack filler and the dope/talc reapplied and sanded smooth.
000 grade 'silkspan' tissue was doped over the area using a sponge to smooth out any wrinkles. It was applied dry as I've found a damp application makes the tissue very easy to tear. A further couple of dope coats and fine sanding prepared it for paint. The pale blue underside was airbrushed on first and then the upper surfaces given the Nato Green Tamiya acrylic. When dry, the Black-Green areas were masked with lo-tack tape and the paint applied. After removing the masking straight away, the areas that are usually in shadow (various slots and the surface LE) were also given a coat of black-green feathering it out to the surface. It may help creating the illusion of shadow in the hinge areas. But more of that yet to do.

The many Robart hinge-points were fitted and the whole lot test-assembled and checked for movement. All OK! Nothing is glued yet.........

One picture shows a fuselage with extra paint (untintentional) My lack of peripheral vision (glaucoma) often lets me not see things when waving an airbrush around ...........I cleaned it off and repainted - no worries

I guess the nacelles are next!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:51 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,072 Posts
Exemplary work of art!

She´s looking every time better and better.

Tartago is offline Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:45 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments everyone But....
I've come to recognise over the years the symptoms of an oncoming bout of 'burn-out' - the 111 has been about 4 months work at 4-6 hours per day AND with a 3 week panic in the middle to do Peter Rake's Great Lakes Trainer.
The obvious answer might be to go fishing or take up heavy drinking! But for me it's a simple matter of starting something new - maybe even another model build, until the urge returns

So faced with some more vac-form work on the 111 nacelle details and the undercarriage generally (not to mention finishing the cockpit glazing) I'm starting another model! With the almost finished bomber hanging over my head (literally as well as figuratively) I've tidied the workshop and am studying some new plans..........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:36 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
So close and yet so far. I know the feeling, but I was looking forward to the finish of this one.
When it stops being fun, it's time for a change. Waiting to see what's next!

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:01 AM
Clancy
Davis,CA US
Joined Jun 2005
511 Posts
It is looking pretty awesome! Starting another model because burnout from the model your building? I am trying to come up with an alcoholic equivalent. Like drinking Vodka when I am burnt out on Scotch? Happy New Years!
Clancy is offline Find More Posts by Clancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clean Jokes
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Dont panic folks - I'm still working on the aforementioned bits but while I allow myself to think of other projects I'm not at all happy with the UC arrangement and the UC doors so am rebuilding the plug to mould some more. But more than anything else, I love the planning, researching and woodwork of a new project and so will just slow down on the finishing up of the Heinkel........

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Res Ipsa Aviatur
Sonoma County CA!
Joined Jul 2007
1,335 Posts
Whew! I feel better. I fully appreciate the burn out factor but I'm looking forward to seeing this one fully Maltone'd.

Happy New Year, Pat!

Paul
Longhorne is offline Find More Posts by Longhorne
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:34 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
fair enough Pat, glad to hear you are still pottering away with it.

happy new year to you and yours
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:14 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,690 Posts
Just to keep the thread ticking over I modified the underside cowl plug. It is now closer to the real thing. Sadly the plan shows it somewhat incorrectly even though a model built from the plan had it right!
I'll give the plug a coat of epoxy to harden the surface before attempting some more vac-forming. Just in case I needed to make any more!

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:36 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,502 Posts
Glad to hear you will be drifting back to the He from time to time. I know how you feel about the greener grass of a new model. I always seem to have 2 or 3 models at varying stages of completion. There is nothing like the promise of a new project at the beginning stage. However, the He looks too good to let languish too long. Now that I am getting over the flu and the holidays, I need to get finished writing up the N17 for Peter. Would one of your new projects be something Peter has dreamed up?

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jan 08, 2013, 07:21 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,557 Posts
Hey Pat,
Bungendore made the news here tonight with the bush fires there.
Stay safe mate.

- Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver