Almost there!
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:39 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
970 Posts
I really enjoy your building logs. An inspiration to all of us . Thanks!
SAPSPIT is offline Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:10 PM
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2008
856 Posts
Very nice work Pat!
ben199 is offline Find More Posts by ben199
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Feb 2012
50 Posts
Pat,

It's been very quiet from your end. I can't wait to see the next installment of the He111. I hope all is well.
RCLurker is offline Find More Posts by RCLurker
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:49 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Hi Lurker - I ve had a short rest from the 111 while a few domestic issues are sorted. It seems as one approaches a more 'mature' age, there are plenty of little bodily distractions to keep me away from modelling. Eyesight is a major one for me. after three major builds in the last year or so, I've had to slow a little........
The Heinkel took a back seat to another commissioned project that has been an Albatros around my neck for a while so am getting that out of the way. I'll never build a balsa-and-ply kit for someone else again - even a frend Absolutely no way one can charge enough for the hours it took.

I'm still waiting on some 111 parts from HK - an ESC and a motor to replace one I stole from another model. I may do a basic finish, see if it flies then do the prettying up.

More soon - Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
I'll never build a balsa-and-ply kit for someone else again - even a friend Absolutely no way one can charge enough for the hours it took.
I know what you mean Pat. I once built a Royal DC-3 kit for commission, but I think I wound up working for about $0.02 an hour, and hated every minute of it. On the other hand, a couple of years ago I built a Sig Ninja for a buddy for nothing. Because he is a good friend, it was a pleasure, and I still get a big kick out of watching him fly it. I feel like a proud Papa, then!
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:56 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
It is funny how as soon as a $$value gets put on a hobby it can kill the enjoyment and turn it into a chore! Glad you have that monkey off your back Pat, that little ultimate or what ever it was seems to have been lurking in the background for years hope the physical ailments are on the mend, this joint gets dull without the daily instalments from the workshop of You and your elves!

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:32 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Sadly Craig - idea of $$ is OK in terms of financing my next major build (post or alongside the 111) but as Frank mentioned, $/hour or work is laughable. Never again!
The Ultimate isn't exactly 'little' - even at only 54" span, it is still a biggish beast. The silver finish is the client's wish

Pat

PS - the 'physical ailments' are non-fixable glaucoma - I just need to get my bucket list done while I can still see well enough.......
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:05 PM
71% of the world is runway . .
Nederland, ZH, Oostvoorne
Joined Jun 2009
1,702 Posts
Great Build !!!!

Cheers,

Bart
Bart83 is offline Find More Posts by Bart83
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:03 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,319 Posts
Just found your thread, Pat. Incredible reading and workmanship!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:54 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
It's been a while....

Thanks Fuzz
Not much progress over the last few weeks so I thought I'd post something - even if somewhat trivial!
The tail parts have been permenantly fixed to the fuselage, the wing fillets finished and everything given some small fillets of lightweight filler to tidy it up.

After a thorough sanding/filling/sanding, the whole fuselage got a coat of thinned dope/talcum powder mix and sanded again. Most of the major blemishes have now been filled and tomorrow I'll start doping on a layer of lightweight silkspan prior to a last dope coat and some acrylic undercoat.

...and that's it really. With the commissioned Ultimate finished, I can get on with what I enjoy - building (and planning the inevitable 'what's next')

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:29 AM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,319 Posts
ahhhh...another faithful cellulose sniffer!

Fuzz
St. Martin is offline Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:38 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,780 Posts
Finished being Dopey!

Well, on the fuselage anyway!
The fuselage had been dope/talc filled and sanded and then 000 grade silkspan was doped into place - first time I've done that over a complex shape - another skill to perfect. This attempt was not perfect but after a few minor bouts of bad language, I was happey enough to add another couple of thin dope coats and lots of sanding.
I've recieved all sorts of advice on the tissue/dope process from modelling mates and some say "apply the tissue damp, pull it into place and dope it while still moist" others say to apply it dry. I did it dry but would like an 'old timer's' opinion

Anyway when I was happy, the first coats of spray putty were applied - very sparingly and then mostly sanded off. Since the primer is almost the colour I want on the undersides, I may give it another light coat as a finish. Some clear acrylic should seal it OK (maybe).

Upper surfaces will be standard Dunkelgrun and Schwartzgrun (if my plastic model days memory still works) - dark and darker green.

My sanding arm is worn out so that's it for the day.....

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:08 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,380 Posts
Pat,
So nice. I love the cockpit framing.
Robert
Robert R is offline Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:17 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,941 Posts
I recognise that blue high fill primer! Spent many an hour sanding that off my P47!

It's looking really good.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Last edited by Gree; Dec 03, 2012 at 01:29 AM.