Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:49 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,939 Posts
Just stumbled across this build. Looking good. I'll be following along for here. That's some great craftsmanship.
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,449 Posts
Ditto
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:06 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Riding of Yorkshire
Joined Jan 2011
609 Posts
Hi Pat
Your engineering skills on that nose section are great – this will be a beauty when finished – can't wait!!
Best
Charles
Spitfire1954 is offline Find More Posts by Spitfire1954
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:59 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
The '111 gets a public viewing!

Today was a local district Scale Competition - involving dozens of flyers from several clubs in the Canberra region. I took the 111 out to see what the reaction would be As expected, those who were interested in scale scratch building asked lots of questions while those with no interest in non-arf mostly ignored it!
The Fokker DVII and the Great Lakes Trainer were both flown in an increasing breeze which they (and I) handled OK. The artificial surface on the runway was magnificent - all my takeoffs and landings were near-perfect!

BTW, the DVII won 1st prize in the military/scratch or kit catagorey and the Great lakes was 1st in the Civillian.scratch or kit. And yes, there were other entrants...

Pat
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 27, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:53 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Congratulations mate, both extremely well deserved wins, glad to see the judges know quality when they see it glad you enjoied flying from a smooth surface, a rare treat for you! how many people asked you which shop you brought them from ?
That 111 is a big bugger isn't it, the other 2 aren't small by any means but it dwarfs them wingspan wise!
Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:26 AM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
"Is that plane made out of wood?" "Where'd you get that?"

Congrats on the awards, well deserved.

Doug
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:28 AM
Bond, Hotglue Bond
Joined Apr 2006
4,120 Posts
Congrats for the prizes. I'm sure you will do it again with the Heinkel.
Tartago is online now Find More Posts by Tartago
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,276 Posts
Yah, what they said. He is looking terrific, btw.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:12 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,660 Posts
Still following and thoroughly enjoying the view. You're doing a great job of demonstrating why we see so few 111's flying around!

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:31 AM
Groundlooping is an art!
Norway
Joined Jul 2009
959 Posts
Congrats Pat with both prizes. A good day at the field I recon
SAPSPIT is online now Find More Posts by SAPSPIT
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:13 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Adding some Horses.....

Instead of Junkers Jumo, or Daimler-Benz DB601, I have opted for a pair of E-Flite Power 25s for this machine. The original model was designed around a pair of .25 glow engines of of 1970 vintage and I figure a Power 25 is easily the equivalent. I already had one Power 25 so set it up on the bench with a 12X6 prop (the biggest I dare swing) and got over 300 watts input on 3S or in excess of 500 watts on 4S - I didnt go full throttle on 4s as half the workshop was about to blow away So even if AUW was 8-10 lb (terrible thought) I'd still get 60-80 watts output per lb - heaps.
Why a Power 25? I already had one, and apart from a couple of nice trophies for my weekend contest awards, I recieved vouchers from my LHS (Monaro Models and Hobbies) for $100 - They have motor in stock so it was a no brainer!

I'll find some suitable 3 blade props for display - plus of course, look into those difficult German WW2 spinners...the 2.25" one shown is simply the right diameter - I was checking how far forward the spinner projected - almost in line with the non-existant nose gun-bubble.

The old plan shows no cross sections of the engine cowl but it seems semi-circular on the top and flattened underneath so I'll try that. The plan radiator housing looks much too square so they will be redone. The real ones were retractable but I think I'll avoid that.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Germany, BW, Sankt Leon-Rot
Joined Oct 2006
34 Posts
Maybe you find the right propeller and spinner on the german website RAMOSER.de
uranus456 is offline Find More Posts by uranus456
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Beaut work Pat, it must be a treat at your flying field just seeing what you will turn up with next

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:07 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,732 Posts
Steve - I like to keep people guessing. The Heinkel was identified as a DC-3 at my last club meet But another fellow flyer got it right so all is not lost....

Uranus - thanks for the link. I like the idea of Varioprop but almost out my price range!
Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
217 Posts
Hi Pat

I hope the guy who identified your model as a Dak was drummed out of the model club and his Tx ceremonially jumped on I've followed a lot of your prior builds and I must say this one maintains your usual high standards.

..plus I never knew the cockpit was offset to allow the pilot a better view; I learn something new every day. I'll drop that fact into the conversation when I'm next in my LHS !

Regards
Harry
Harry Rule is offline Find More Posts by Harry Rule