SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:08 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
Build Log
Heinkel He111 74" Plan build

With the Fokker DVII done and dusted (although Pete is waiting for a bit more stuff for his FSM column) and the SPAD nearing completion, I was starting to feel a yearning for some real modelling that involved cutting balsa I have another Rakian project somewhere down the track, and had considered slipping in a small IPS design to keep my cutting hand from seizing up! But fate stepped in and a local aeromodeller (who also owns the cafe I drink coffee and eat meat pies at) shoved a bunch of plans in my face and said "...these look right up your alley...". Always a mug for big plans of scale models, they were duly perused One was a largish JU-88 and the other ....... one near the top of my 'bucket list', a 74" Heinkel HE111 . Despite its popularity as an aeoplane, only a few models of it seem to be built - probably the awkward shapes (lack of straight lines) make it a bit daunting. Anyway, in for a penny, in for a pound - I was hooked

The model was designed in the early '80s by Chas Maund and published in 'Radio Modeller' in 1983. Some searching the web turned up a copy of the original article (here on rcgroups!) but only one mention of anyone having built and flown it apart from the designer. At 74" span (1/12 scale) it is not HUGE, but should have a fair presence in the sky as the wing is of substantial chord and about 2.5" thick!

Construction is quite difficult with an all-planked fuselage, scale-ish hingeing of all control surfaces (including the strange flaps), balsa skinned, retracts and that marvellous greenhouse of a cockpit! Also, the plan is for twin .25 2 strokes but nowdays electric substitutes will be easy. Only have to work out where to put the battery(s).

As it was never designed as a beginner's project, instruction in the article or the plan are sparse. Many of the techniques and materials are very '80s but I'll only change them if it will be an improvement. Substituting individual servos for flaps and ailerons instead of a maze of pushrods, bellcranks and central servos is an example.

So, much studying of the 3 large plans and attempt to work out this beast!

Here is a picture of the real aircraft for those who may not know it (no-one on this forum surely ) and a model built from the plan.

Pat (sharpening his #11 blade)
Pat Lynch is online now Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Oct 06, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,300 Posts
How cool Pat. Looking forward to this build. You going to build functional machine guns? Can't wait to see what over-the-top scale details you put in this one.

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:24 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
Jeff - just for a change, I'd like to keep it 'as per plan'. It's difficult enough! And 1/12 scale means, I'm afraid, no working guns.......

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:50 AM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maltone View Post
Jeff - just for a change, I'd like to keep it 'as per plan'. It's difficult enough! And 1/12 scale means, I'm afraid, no working guns.......

Pat
ROFL. Good luck with that! The little demon sitting on your shoulder will soon be saying things like, "You really know it needs scale mass balances, and since you are doing those, working trim tabs and...."

Regards,
Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:48 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
Great project Pat, should be another cracker build to follow! are the wings removable as one piece, or is the center section part of the fuse? just thinking in terms of battery location, maybe a big stick of LiFe's inside the fuse and charge them in plane?

Looking forward to it!
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
Fugative Pom
Queanbeyan, NSW,Australia
Joined Jul 2009
78 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
ozybard is online now Find More Posts by ozybard
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:51 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
A Start......

I figured the fuselage would be the best place to start - that was before I found the 1983 construction article! Oh well.........

The model has a one-piece wing which is where most of the action is! 4 servos, engines, retracts and maybe batteries and escs. The jury is still out regarding a large central battery or individual ones. The glasshouse makes forward access a bit tricky but I'll play it by ear. In any event, I'd run paralleling wiring to couple two batteries if fitted.

The fuselage is built exactly as Peter Rake would have done Two halves built on a horizontal crutch. The 'crutch' is not shaped parts as is usual but 1/4X1/8 strip curved and pinned to the board like longerons. The 1/2 formers hold it in shape when glued. The plans show where to remove large chunks of the bigger formers after the shell is finished - I precut them to make the job easier later.

The fuselage is planked like a model ship hull - not hard when into the swing of things. Tapered strips are cut with bevelled edges and applied on alternating sides. To make the job quicker, I cut a strip and laid it against the fuselage marking its upper edge. A bead of aliphatic glue was run along the previous edge, medium CA was applied to the former up the pen mark, and CA accelerator sprayed on the strip where it will touch the former. The strip is progessively pressed into place and held until the CA grips and the aliphatic oozes out. Then do the other side plank. I finished up with a couple of odd shaped bits and no filler needed.

A tip - when marking the plank edge on the former, put a spot of ink on the plank - it shows where to spray the accelerator!

The bottom side was done the same way but has ply doublers behind the planking around the wing seat area.

The 1/2 shells were rough sanded in-situ before unpinning. Now I have two half-Heinkels - a couple of day's work

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 27, 2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:34 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhspring View Post
... "You really know it needs scale mass balances, and since you are doing those, working trim tabs and...."
Jeff
Jeff, the plans already show the mass balances, scale-style hinging etc All moving surfaces except the rudder are a nightmare! Hinges are of 1/16 Formica on the elevator and flaps, the ailerons show Robart hinge-points but with scale dummy hinges - all different sizes The flaps have internal linkages but the ailerons seem to be external - but I'm not certain. The trim tabs are all separate but fixed ()
So I dont need much more complication than that

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:05 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,661 Posts
I'm subscribed!
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:42 PM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,000 Posts
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:21 PM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,549 Posts
Wonderful subject. Should make a real floater of an airplane with that big thick wing. Should go well with your D-Rock Hurricane. I for sure will be watching.

Jim
JIMA is offline Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:28 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,328 Posts
Nice choice, Pat. I always like the 111, too. To be honest, I prefer the models up to the "F" series, with the more conventional nose. But that big piece of glazing up front sure is interesting, too. By the way, how are you going to do that? Can't wait to see what you come up with!
vonJaerschky is offline Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:11 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
Frank - I'll show the nose part of the plan later. The nose is all fully framed with wisps of 1/8 ply cut to make the frames and each panel of glazing added individually!
I had just read through your ill-fated 109 thread looking for treatment of balsa skins - I've never tried dope-on-tissue-over balsa but it sounds about right for this.
I'd considered a mod for an early mk. and do it in pseudo-civilian colours but the wings had even more curves being semi elliptical so was drawn back to the dark side Then there is the Condor Legion variant - still possible I think with the conventional, longer nose. Could be easier to fit a nose battery too. Hmmm......

Jim, I'd love to make it a floater - at 1" = 1' scale, a max speed of 273 mph is only 22mph - definitely floating! So weight will be important.....

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A New Year's Project
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:35 AM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,743 Posts
I tacked the two fuselage halves together to sand them more carefully. Best way to eliminate bumps, ridges etc, is to work with a single light source that casts shadows where the blemishes occur and sand that area with a sanding block or stick until the shadows are gradual. Rotating the fuselage and watching for the bumps and imperfections then sanding them out should give a smooth surface.

Another little trick I tried was cutting holes in balsa sheet. A wood bit invariably gives a woolly or rough hole and while sharpened brass tube cuts OK by hand, I had dozens to do so mounted the tube (1/2" in this case) in the drill press on lowest speed and bingo! - perfect holes, no chipping, or split edges The tube needs cleaning out occaisionally but otherwise works well. The holes are just to remove unneeded wood from the rear formers.

The second picture shows the assembled fuselage over the wing plan.....

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pat Lynch; Aug 28, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:14 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Always been one of my favourites, a real sinister looking aeroplane. When I see a picture of a He111 I always think of that much printed photo of one taken from above as it passed over the Thames and London during the blitz.

You say Pat that it is seldom modeled and I have always wondered if this is because of that glasshouse nose that looks so distinctive, I think this would put a few people off not so much for the work involved in building it but more the fact that one not so perfect landing and

Watching this one for sure, maybe you can just carry on after that first fuselage and make another one for a Zwilling

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss