Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:23 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
75 Posts
Very nice job Iain!!! Can't wait to see it fly.
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:16 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
I have just completed my e-Oculus, and it came out at 70oz. I am not sure if this is good, bad or indifferent. I know the wing area is adequate to support this weight, but my power system may not be adequate. I have about 500W so it will be safe, but time will tell if the climb rate is sufficient.

Iain
That looks great!
70 oz is good and better than mine at 74 oz.
Test flight report soon I hope.

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:27 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,785 Posts
Looks sweet and a fine build.
500 watts should be more then enough.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
E-Oculus Test flight

Well - it flys!

The first launch by my friend *** was scary, left wing down, but fortunatly no damage.
The second launch was better, *** learned fast!!
The climb was not ballistic, but it was adequate. The elevtor trim needed some up to get a level glide at the right speed. This is with the CG at the recommended position. Dive test showed a slight nose heavy tendancy still. This may be changed by a slightly lighter battery, (35C instead of 45C).
I cannot move the battery much further back without some internal reoganization.

The Third (self) launch proved uneventful, except that the thing wants to climb vertical! This will be addressed by a few degrees of down-thrust.
The spoilers are not as effective as I had hoped, but I am used to either full span spoilers per the AVA, or huge flaps.
The transition to and from spoilers with just mild compensation is very smooth.
My only suggested change, and this is quite radical, is flaps in place of spoilers.
How about an optional centersection Merrill?
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Oct 19, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
SHADYBOY
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Feb 2005
75 Posts
Looks fantastic Iain!! I don't play with thrust, I take the lazy way out and mix down elevator with throttle. Looking forward to seeing it in person

Have a great weekend.

Mike
roseberry is offline Find More Posts by roseberry
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:54 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rev.iain View Post
Well - it flys!

This is with the CG at the recommended position. Dive test showed a slight nose heavy tendancy still.

The spoilers are not as effective as I had hoped, but I am used to either full span spoilers per the AVA, or huge flaps.
The transition to and from spoilers with just mild compensation is very smooth.
My only suggested change, and this is quite radical, is flaps in place of spoilers.
How about an optional centersection Merrill?
My CG is back farther than the recommended. But if you told people how far back you can move it they would go there before they got to know there plane and a disaster could happen.

On My last Oculus I increased the spoilers by one bay on each side and that will put it where I like it. You know 99% of balsa kits are re-designable friendly and it would not be all that hard to make the spoiler an AVA style or to make the trailing edge have flaps. That is the great thing about balsa possibility's are endless.

It is great to hear that there is another E-Oculus out there.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
Surprise, AZ
Joined Jul 2002
391 Posts
Hi Iain, Glad everything went good!!!!!Do you think the "geared" Hacker would be better or should I stay with present power plant???? When I get my Oculus should
I look into adding "flaps" or longer "spoiler" as per Clarence? Anxious to get mine.
Hint, hint Merrill. John
jcyr1 is offline Find More Posts by jcyr1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
John, I sent you a PM with some thoughts and ideas.

Iain
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,585 Posts
A pic of the E-Oculus from Visalia.
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oculus EXL
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Some further thoughts

I was not content with the fit of the stabs to the fin, so I created a fairing from balsa and epoxy filler. Total added weight 3-5 grams, hey it may make my CG location better! Sorry about the focus.
I have addded about 3 degrees of downthrust, despite Mike's urging not to, and we will see how test flights go this week. Weather here in the desert looks great for the next few months so flying almost daily is in order. Love this retirement thing!

Iain
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:04 PM
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
595 Posts
Update on the adjustments and flight tests

The downthrust is actually at 6 degrees using the bottom of the wing as a zero reference. The fairings have been painted with a Rustoleum industrial enamal (V2163) which is a fair match although a little too glossy. This will be fixed when fully hardened by buffing with some 600 grit wet and dry.

The test flight yesterday was scrubbed at T-25 due to a bad rudder servo. (HB servo with 2 broken teeth on the 3rd gear!).

Test flights today proved that the downthrust is perfect for a hands-off climb at WOT with 500 Watts. I have still not installed a CAM unit but I estimate the time to 500' will be in the order of 18-20 seconds. I will also fly with the telemetry unit installed next time out to check the actual altitude reached on climb. The day was not hot today (for Arizona), around 80deg. when I was out at about 2:30 this afternoon. The lift was moderate, but I had some very pleasant thermal flights. The behavior in lift is predictable and smooth. Due to the wingspan it will not suddenly pop up a wing, but it will show the experienced pilot where to turn. On a straight in approach to lift it bearly slows, but definatly rises nicely and does not drop off to the side. My thermalling style is not the same as many pilots I know, but it works for me.

I may fly this one in the next Arizona Electric Soaring Group contest on Saturday. I just need to practice the landing pattern a little more.

This is a keeper.

Iain
Last edited by rev.iain; Oct 23, 2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: added info.
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:35 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
887 Posts
Hi Everyone
I have been trying to catch up with Merrill for many days and last night I finally caught him. Merrill says that since the fall fest at Visalia it is like he has been working a second full time job and trying to juggle family obligations, with no flying time on the weekends and no extra time to spend on the computer . That is one of the big drawbacks to a one man shop, Merrill says he has thought about hiring someone to help with production, but he would have to raise the price of the kit to pay wages to someone. The biggest issue he has about bringing someone into his shop is the consistency of quality of the product. Merrill has a true love of the kits that he produces and he is very picky about the quality of what he puts his name on. There is a bunch of work that goes into each kit -the painting, the laying up of the fuselages, wrapping spars, and the cutting of all the little pieces. Even with all of that work this kit is affordable to all. It is hard to find a good quality building kit and not break the bank like planes out of Europe and Asia.
In this age of instant e-mails and messaging we need to realize that we as a people start thinking that we should get everything we want right now without waiting, but it still takes time for the paint and epoxy to cure because every kit that Merrill produces is made to order and it takes time for a quality kit to come from MM Glider Tech.
Just for clarification I don’t work for MM Glider Tech and I don’t receive any compensation.
Merrill Brady is a great friend and is my flying partner when I am in California and best of all I love to build the kits he has to offer.

Clarence Ashcraft
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Whoo Hoo! She Flew!.
Well finally finished my first Nice sailplane kit. Aprrox. 75 hrs. to build it. The manual helped out tremendously. Even though I thought I read it 3 times, I still missed inputting some info in my head. I finally found the info on the last page on how to hinge the rudder!
The Oculus has a Hacker 30xl motor in it with a 3 Cell 2100 mah Lipo battery. Graupner 15 x 8 folding prop. Performance is perfect with this combo. I placed the servos under the wing. The CG is at 4 3/8 in right now. I needed 3 click of down elevator to fly hands off.
I launched it with about 3/4 throttle and it leaped at a 45 degree angle climb out.
The first thing I noticed was how quick it headed for the moon. Point the nose down and it is pretty quick also. I did an few loops and 3/4 rolls. No problem doing that. Rudder was extremely touchy, waggling all over the place. I calmed my thumb down and it settled nicely. I am used to flying stuff with max throws and that's is what I had for the rudder. The spoilers are terrific and powerful. I had the set for 90 degrees up and Boy did it want to come down fast , like it was sliding down a pole. I checked the rudder throw and set it per the manual. It flys great now.
Weight came in at 77 oz. I did not have to add any lead for balance. This is the first time that has happened to me!
I flew it for 3 hops today, Best one motor launch was 34 mins. It picked up a couple very light thermals and just as claimed , the wing tips really let ya see what is happening. I hope to get in some good flying time tomorrow. The weather is gonna change and blow Friday around the desert.
Thanks, Merrill, for designing such a great kit. P.S. I stole your color scheme!Name: photo4.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 211.1 KB
Description:

Name: photo6.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 137.3 KB
Description:

Name: photo10.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 62.9 KB
Description:
Vern
vfrank59 is offline Find More Posts by vfrank59
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
Pasco Tri Cities, Washington, United States
Joined Aug 2004
301 Posts
Motor selection

I'm about to buy one of Merrill's E-Oculus kits, and wonder what is the "hot" motor setup is for this wonderful glider. I currently have a Hacker B-50XL w/ 6.7:1 gearset that was designed for gliders of this size--but for LMR (limited motor run) flying. Would this motor and say about a 4s lipo battery be OK?

Larry Fitch
LRFitch is offline Find More Posts by LRFitch
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
The motor I have seems to be the max diameter that fits and gives enough clearance for the 3 wires. It is about 38mm diameter. Hacker A30-12xl v2. it is 500 watts. and the thing will go vertical. 55 am esc 2100 mah battery 3s. Make the cooling holes for the motor.
vern
vfrank59 is offline Find More Posts by vfrank59