HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:19 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
520 Posts
Merrill... what are the differences between the standard and e-fuse? I see you placed a servo in the tail...is this cut out in the finished fuse or does the builder have to create this.
Rick
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:45 PM
Joined Apr 2007
36 Posts
I saw this model fly in the ALES contest on Friday at the Fall Soaring Festival. Mr. Brady also had a few kits on display in the pits, and I gave the model and the kits a lot of scrutiny. I came away fairly impressed. The model has an appealing look to it, and from what I saw, it will out-perform my flying skills any day.

The workmanship on the fuselage is super, the laser cutting of the wood parts as expected is superb, the CF spars all come pre-wrapped with kevlar etc., and the ribs all get capped with CF during the build. Just looking at the kit makes you want to buy one (if you're inclined to build that is).

To answer the question in the above post, the rudder's vertical tail post is open at the bottom, allowing access during the build to install the elevator bell crank, and thus there is also access to install the rudder servo as well. The rudder servo mounts to the wall of the vertical fin under the bell crank, and the servo's arm extends out a small slot in the opposite wall, and the linkage to the rudder's control horn is very short.

In the end, I couldn't resist, and purchased on the spot kit # 35 (at least that's the number glassed into the interior of the fuse).

I won't be building it right away, as I've another project on the bench at the moment. But it will make a fine winter project (-:

(-: Dave Dahl
ddahl is offline Find More Posts by ddahl
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:55 AM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Hi Dave

Welcome to the Oculus family and yes you are the proud owner of the 35th Oculus, I would have loved to be at Visalia this fall but things didn't work out for me but I will be there for the bent wing in may.

I have three Oculus planes # 2 and # 22 and I don't know the number of My E-Oculus till it gets here Wednesday. We have a build thread going here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1494066 stop in and say hello and ask questions.

Clarence
onethermal is offline Find More Posts by onethermal
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,375 Posts
Hey Clarence, for fun, did you know the number 22 in numerology represents the Master Builder and is the most powerful of all numbers.

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:54 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Hey Clarence, for fun, did you know the number 22 in numerology represents the Master Builder and is the most powerful of all numbers.

Jared
Well I don't know a thing about numerology I have liked the number for many years and as for master builder well I could put myself in the class of a great builder.
A master builder title puts to much expectation out there.

Clarence
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:43 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,641 Posts
Performance report on the E-Oculus. Friday I entered it in it's first ALES contest in Visalia, CA. Launches were flawless. It flies just like the glider version so there was nothing unexpected. The Visalia field has great thermals with that it also has great sink too! We went to make a showing with the idea that you can still fly a low cost builders kit in contest. I now have found that I like this model a lot more now. It will climb to 200 meters in 24 seconds with a 13X7 prop with no problems. At 74 oz it is just right to fly around the sky and find lift when or if needed. Landings are like landing on ice so it needs to be slowed down a lot more. With the wide speed range it was just a thrill to fly.

The kits are available now!

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2007
84 Posts
Great to hear it flies well!
I am a slow builder, I have 40 hrs into the wing. I have the wing completed. It is a fun build. I am trying to assemble the Oculus as perfect as it is suppose to be. Now I have to spend time peeling the glue off my fingers. I don't think I have any fingerprints left!
Vern
vfrank59 is offline Find More Posts by vfrank59
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:54 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
I was at Visalia but not until Sat., so I unfortunately missed the Fri. ALES contest. :-(

I did however check out the kits Merrill had available and can say it looks to be a beautiful builders kit.

Merrill is a great guy and an outstanding manufacturer. The RC sailplane community is fortunate to have people like him in the industry, providing a product like this.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Last edited by Mauilvr; Oct 10, 2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:57 PM
Mfg of the Marauder & Oculus!
Downey, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauilvr View Post
I was at Visalia but not until Sat., so I unfortunately missed the Fri. ALES contest and the

I did however check out the kits Merrill had available and can say it looks to be a beautiful builders kit.

Merrill is a great guy and an outstanding manufacturer. The RC sailplane community is fortunate to have people like him in the industry, providing a product like this.
Thank you very much!

Merrill
Mr B.... is offline Find More Posts by Mr B....
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:16 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B.... View Post
Thank you very much!

Merrill
Just calling it as I (and many others) see it......and how it is.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Quote:

Jared
Ok Jared what does numerology say about the number 33.

Clarence
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Today is a happy day
I just picked up My new E-Oculus fuse and the red is "SWEET" and the workmanship that goes into the fuse is amazing.

Way to go Merrill this is another winner in a long list of winners from MM Glider.

Clarence
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,375 Posts
Nice Clarence. Yet, where is the pics?

33 is 6 in the old ways. Newer ways in interpretation could be that it represents a Humanitarian.
Ever fly your Oculus out of a crowded thermal not wishing to damage another's ship.
Of course you do.

What are you considering for power?
Interesting that what seem to be far too small power plants, Larry is using one in his Aspire ALES thread and is like what Marc used in his Tragi 801 winning ALES ship.
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jcstalls; Oct 13, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
LSF # 7390 IV
Sandy, Utah
Joined Oct 2004
896 Posts
Quote:
What are you considering for power?
Well I am going to use a Cermark 600 brushless inline geared at 4.3:1 and a 3s lipo pack, it should swing a 15x8 prop at 5650 rpms...but testing will determine what the final prop size will be. It should be more than enough power to get in the air.

Clarence
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
626 Posts
e-Oculus

I have just completed my e-Oculus, and it came out at 70oz. I am not sure if this is good, bad or indifferent. I know the wing area is adequate to support this weight, but my power system may not be adequate. I have about 500W so it will be safe, but time will tell if the climb rate is sufficient.

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain