HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:43 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,657 Posts
I think I named it
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 07:57 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
There are fix pitch helis that can do 3D?? ... No, I am not for putting the FP micros and the CP micros in the same category, as it was actually easier for me to land the mCPX on the tuna can lid (youtube: bulls eye) than it was with the V911 ... exactly BECAUSE of the collective pitch.
I am also for specifying the "object" of the challenge more, like "fly backwards under a table of the following size: AxBxC foot and hover there", as there are myriads of pieces of furniture that all are subsummed under the definition TABLE

I think 3DFP is impossible, was saying inc 3D as an idea that if a person had 3D but no FP or their skills are not up to 3D yet there would a a challenge suited to the individual but I see your point about CP advantage over FP when it comes to the craft it's self so FP (not inc 3D) would be better.

@Valiant, how about I turn my first post in this thread into challenge history/video gallery?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Done the loopy legs - uploading now
valiantGLX is online now Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:13 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post

@Valiant, how about I turn my first post in this thread into challenge history/video gallery?
Great Idea - Go for it

Just try to make it conform to the rest of the layout on the first page.

I believe the writing is size 6, centered, underlined, bold fot the title.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:29 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Heli: Loopy Legs: Do a circle around each leg of a table or chair without touching it or the ground. You can do them in any order.

EDIT: see take 2 a few posts down
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 30, 2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Great Idea - Go for it

Just try to make it conform to the rest of the layout on the first page.

I believe the writing is size 6, centered, underlined, bold fot the title.
I'll "quote" your first page and edit out the [quote] code so it conforms exactly.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:56 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Heli: Loopy Legs: Do a circle around each leg of a table or chair without touching it or the ground. You can do them in any order.

This video is not my best work by far, I am posting my first attempt simply to get the win before anyone else We have a saying in Australia: "there's no flies on me mate"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3rar8Rt_g

Also note while coming dangerously close to table leg and to the ground at one stage, I never made contact

Now for the next challenge, Hmmmm
Might just be me, but .....at 27 seconds it does look like the tail rotor hit the left leg and the heli then kicked a bit because of it.

I downloaded the movie and slowed it down to 1/4 speed and it still looks that way.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:08 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
Might just be me, but .....at 27 seconds it does look like the tail rotor hit the left leg and the heli then kicked a bit because of it.

I downloaded the movie and slowed it down to 1/4 speed and it still looks that way.
It sure looks that way I know, however the kick is simply an over compensation on my stick movement.

I have had a look at this footage frame-by-frame and the little tail rotor narrowly misses the leg (talking mm's) due to its perfect timing at the time.

Check out the pics.... Whats the verdict? Should I do it again?
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 28, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
It sure looks that way I know, however the kick is simply an over compensation on my stick movement.

I have had a look at this footage frame-by-frame and the little tail rotor narrowly misses the leg (talking mm's) due to its perfect timing at the time.
I just single stepped it too, and..... anyway, should there perhaps be a quality/size standard for the videos? Little 808 #16 and #18 cameras give 720p, iPhones do 720p and 1080p (if people hold them the right way around ) and most digital cameras have a decent enough lens to do 720x480 fairly clearly.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
I still dont believe that I hit the leg in my first vid, it would have made a sound too I hit it, however I'm not the one that I have to convince

Here's take 2:

Loopy legs Micro Flyers Great and Small Video Challenge TAKE 2.avi (0 min 42 sec)

I have come up with the next challenge:

Heli: The Ned Kelly: Land on a CD case while flying outback (in your back yard)

Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,655 Posts
A couple of suggestions to avoid conflict

Hey all -

I subscribed to this thread because it looked like it would be a fun, friendly way to push our skills, but there've been a few disputes and we're only a day or two old. I thought a minor addition to the rules might avoid any future conflicts:

There was some concern about the parameters of the challenge allowing for some to do the same challenge more easily based on the size of the object and or the challenge associated with the vehicle.
Proposed solution: Allow multiple people to post their vids. Winner 1 is the first person that completes the challenge in the most literal sense. If they want to use a 10 foot tall table, fine, as long as they get it done first. Have a second winner (all competitions can remain open for this) for the most complexity, best performance, etc. This will allow everyone to take into account the differences in airframes, skill levels, and allow people to showcase their skills on challenges they may have missed. We can vote, re-vote, or just oooh and aaaah to show support.

This is less about winning than it is showing off, having a little fun, and pushing ourselves a little harder than we might without the challenge.

Thoughts?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hey all -

I subscribed to this thread because it looked like it would be a fun, friendly way to push our skills, but there've been a few disputes and we're only a day or two old. I thought a minor addition to the rules might avoid any future conflicts:

This is less about winning than it is showing off, having a little fun, and pushing ourselves a little harder than we might without the challenge.

Thoughts?
You read my mind, I have already made some changes to page 1 and I was just about to repost so everyone can be up to date

As I have previously stated anyone can complete the challenges at anytime, but the first winner gets the hall of fame point.
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Custom quad builder
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Apr 2012
2,364 Posts
Quote:
I still dont believe that I hit the leg in my first vid, it would have made a sound too I hit it, however I'm not the one that I have to convince

Here's take 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkjkcpTQDks

I have come up with the next challenge:

Heli: The Ned Kelly: Land on a CD case while flying outback (in your back yard)

Ned Kelly was the man
tech69x is offline Find More Posts by tech69x
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:25 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
UPDATES.....

The Rules

The rules are simple; complete a challenge and post the video evidence, gain approval, then create a new challenge for others to compete in, posting it in the corresponding colour with size 5 font.

In order to become a winner of a challenge one of the following must take place:
  • The creator of the challenge declares you the winner.
  • At least 2 other members vote that you win
  • No one objects to your video after a 48 hour period

When creating a new challenge you should choose a fun concise name for the challenge aswell as detailing what needs to be done in order to win, while also adding the challenge category. For example; Quads 3D: Double D's: Do a double diagonal flip with your quad

If a particular challenge goes unanswered for over 1 week the person who created the challenge can complete it themselves and if it goes unanswered for 2 weeks, anybody can elect to create a new challenge in that field.

Also videos should be created new for the individual challenges, so no old footage or previously posted challenge videos can be used. Plus the quality of the video must be good enough to determine what is going on.

Above all else have fun, but never jeopradise the safety of yourself and/or others.

New Heli categories:
  • Helis Coaxial (IN BLUE)
  • Helis Fixed Pitch and Collective Pitch NON-3D(IN YELLOW)
  • Helis Collective pitch 3D (IN LIGHT BLUE)

Updated the Hall of Fame

Current Challenges:

Heli Coaxial: The Ned Kelly: Land on a CD case while flying outback (in your back yard)

Heli Fixed Pitch & Collective Pitch NON-3D: Circle Work: Complete several tail in spirals (I dont know the correct name for the manouver

Heli Collective Pitch 3D: Open Doors: Fly inverted through an open doorway.

Quad: The Gateway: Take off inside your house, then fly outside through an open window. Fly the quad outside for 2+ minutes and re-enter the house through the same window and land exactly where you took off from.

Quad 3D: The suicide: Do an inverted stall and count 2 seconds while the quad free falls upside down before proceeding with a complete recovery.

Plane: The Death Roll Plumit; Do a death roll spiralling towards the ground and pull up just before its too late.

Plane 3D: Couch Potato: Hover in your living room while sitting on your couch.

FPV: The News Reporter: Record a video of yourself at take off and then track a moving vechicle for as long as you can (at a safe distance of course)
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 28, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,516 Posts
Deleting posts

@ whichwaysup & erdnuckel2

Can I have your permission to delete your first posts so that djdavies83 can go through with his plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post