Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:34 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Finally! The Ned Kelly.

Heli Coaxial: The Ned Kelly: Land on a CD case while flying outback (in your back yard)

Micro flyers challenge: Ned Kelly (0 min 18 sec)
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:37 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
Heli Coaxial: The Ned Kelly: Land on a CD case while flying outback (in your back yard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnsx-GbAiI
Perfect!!!

You just made your place in the Hall of Fame

Whats the next challenge

Also I love the way that you zoomed in on the current challenge, what video editor do you use?
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:46 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,698 Posts
Quote:
Very drab cd case helipad

Well done on the landing though
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:53 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Please familiarise yourselves with the new special challenge system and challenges

Special Challenges

Special challenges will have a lifecycle of 1 month where multiple people can compete multiple times for a chance to win 5 Hall of Fame points (10 including the bonus points). At the end of the month we will all vote on the video submissions to determine the winner for each special challenge category.

Also there will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd places with there own individual point systems + anybody who competes gets 1 point no matter how badly they fail:

1st: 5 points + Bonus 5 points = 10 Hall of Fame points
2nd: 2 points + Bonus 3 points = 5 Hall of Fame points
3rd: 1 point + Bonus 2 points = 3 Hall of Fame points
Entry prize: 1 Hall of Fame point

Please submit your videos on or before the 1st of October 2012

Heli, open to any heli: Micro Heli Daytona: Setup 2 posts 2 meters apart and then you will have 90 seconds to complete as many laps as possible within the time frame. You will need to perfrom a hovering start in the center of the 2 posts.
5 Bonus Points: Complete the entire challenge without crashing or touching the posts.

Quad: The Drive by: Fly your quad from the passenge seat of any vehicle while a friend drives.
5 Bonus Points: Fly through the rear window of the vehicle and land on the backseat, while the vehicle is stationary and you remain in the front passenger seat.

Plane: The Crowd Pleaser: Fly in a "V" formation with at least 2 other micro planes and perform at least one basic manouver while remaining in formation
5 Bonus Points: Complete the challenge with streamers attached to your planes

FPV: The Dog Fight: Chase another micro flyer in a simulated dog fight.
5 Bonus Points: Use 2 micro warbirds to complete the challenge.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:56 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Also I should note that I have changed the Coaxial Heli category so it is now open to any micro heli.

Please let me know if you like the change or if it should be reverted back to solely coaxials
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:35 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Perhaps he should have printed out one of these: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358806
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:52 AM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
Ok for the new plane challenge How about this

Plane: Fly under a table exit doing a loop resulting in you flying under the table again.
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:47 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post

Well done on the landing though
It did involve a trip to the attic to actually find a CD case, after 3 filming attempts one after dark, holding a phone, cycle light and remote was not easy, that attempt ended by WSP (Rain Woman Stops play).
Ned Kelly after dark attempt (0 min 25 sec)

Video came out ok but you know.

Wind, direct sunlight & S107 direct sunlight and3ch heli Ain't easy, had to do it in. A shady spot.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:56 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Perfect!!!

You just made your place in the Hall of Fame

Whats the next challenge

Also I love the way that you zoomed in on the current challenge, what video editor do you use?
Rub A Dub Dub: land the heli near the plug in a bathtub then take off an land anywhere on the rim of the bath.
No blade strike on the sides of the bath, rotas must stop (even if only for a second) before taking off again. Toilet seat take off point is optional

Before anyone says the bathroom is too small to fly in...
S107 water landing floats, 1st attempt. (0 min 49 sec)

For most of my YouTube videos I use "splice" for iPhone, I'm rarely near a PC.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,617 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKnsx-GbAiI
Rub A Dub Dub: land the heli near the plug in a bathtub then take off an land anywhere on the rim of the bath.
No blade strike on the sides of the bath, rotas must stop (even if only for a second) before taking off again. Toilet seat take off point is optional

Before anyone says the bathroom is too small to fly in...
S107 water landing floats, 1st attempt. (0 min 49 sec)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 06:02 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quad challenge complete, will have the video uploaded tonight if/when I get out of work. Flew out of my office window, outside for two minutes, and then back in just in time for my office phone to ring
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
v929 w/ 808 #16 - Micro Flyers Video Challenge/Fun at the Office (4 min 46 sec)

Uploading now, but I claim my win

Edit: uploaded now. Sorry about the shakey video I did some flying around at work prior and kind of destroyed my props plus there was a constant 8-10 MPH wind, but I believe I did this in a way that my onboard footage proves I completed the challenge. I added in flying from my office to the window in the other room, just for extra measure.

I only did tail in because of said wind, I figured if I crashed I needed to do another flight and I was doing this while at the office so didn't want to waste too much time with multiple tries. I can do nose in now, but I am still not perfectly comfortable with it, especially when trying to counter for wind.

I really need to change my props and rebalance because with the long weekend I have a lot of flying scheduled. If all goes to plan I will have some flying at a family BBQ in the country (tomorrow), some flying in wooded scenery with a waterfall (if the drought hasn't stopped it, on sunday) and some park flying hopefully around a lake (if it doesn't rain Monday).

Edit 2: That's my boss trying to swat the oversized bug out of the air during the second excursion, in case anyone was wondering
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Last edited by skitchen8; Aug 31, 2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:27 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
USA, VA, Spotsylvania
Joined Jan 2011
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerys View Post
Here is the Rocket Man challenge answer I did.

I took the challenge quite literally. the plane is a glider the motor is a ROCKET boosting the glider so I LITERALLY take off like a rocket and then chop power and glide back like the shuttle.

Here is the video (onboard)

http://youtu.be/BDPRKfHcf9s

Here is a picture of the boost (single channel rudder only) Only the model with the camera is RC the other is just free flight.
Holy cow, you did better than I expected anyone to! Great job!
Endlesslag is online now Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:44 PM
Grrr :-)
Levittown PA 19057
Joined Aug 2006
435 Posts
Tub Runner. suggestions. you need to hollow out the floats from underneath a little and ALSO put some HOLES in them from the top.

this way as you try to lift it can "suck air" through those holes and break the suction effect on the water.

the hollowing out and "scalloping" the edges of the floats will help to break the water tension effect that will also try to hold the chopper down.

skitchen that video ROCKED. might not be the greatest idea to chase your boss with the killer copter though hehehe :-)
nerys is offline Find More Posts by nerys
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:10 PM
Joined Jun 2011
7,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEcvf...ature=youtu.be

Uploading now, but I claim my win

Edit: uploaded now. Sorry about the shakey video I did some flying around at work prior and kind of destroyed my props plus there was a constant 8-10 MPH wind, but I believe I did this in a way that my onboard footage proves I completed the challenge. I added in flying from my office to the window in the other room, just for extra measure.

I only did tail in because of said wind, I figured if I crashed I needed to do another flight and I was doing this while at the office so didn't want to waste too much time with multiple tries. I can do nose in now, but I am still not perfectly comfortable with it, especially when trying to counter for wind.

I really need to change my props and rebalance because with the long weekend I have a lot of flying scheduled. If all goes to plan I will have some flying at a family BBQ in the country (tomorrow), some flying in wooded scenery with a waterfall (if the drought hasn't stopped it, on sunday) and some park flying hopefully around a lake (if it doesn't rain Monday).

Edit 2: That's my boss trying to swat the oversized bug out of the air during the second excursion, in case anyone was wondering
Ver, VERY well done! Welcome home to the Hall of Fame, Sir. Challenge met and even exceeded with the hallway navigation. Awesome.

So what's the next challenge?

Best,
Chris

PS: No one attempting the Quad 3D challenge. I might have to perform The Suicide myself when the time limit expires.
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor