HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by unclecrash, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 05:00 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
My Nephew fixed it up some what. I was draging stuff out of my C harddrive and dropping it in E. Some how I must have deleted some stuff and I could not get online. We had to reload win xp and lucky I had my bookmarks stored in G mail. I am operating on 1 drive now which is E which we had to use it as C because for some reason we could not get C to work. But after he messed with it for a couple hours we got the E drive to work. So now im going to reinistall the other and try to use it as E what a nightmare. if that makes any kind of sence
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 02:50 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
D Fast if you havenot drawn out the inside lines to hollow it out. If it will save you a lot of work I can just run around the insides with a ruler and free hand. Inside don't have to be accurate. Also I see your doing the ducts which is cool. On the 90mm I am going to make ducting, but I was thinking of maybe doing a 50mm like you did the J14 using the foam as ducts it would save a lot of money and it would be a good test bed for a bigger 90mm one. Just a thought.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Yes I agree with you on building a smaller version, but instead of using 50mm fans why not just install a pusher? Thats what D Fast did with his J-14 for proof of concept test bed. You still need to figure out the V-tail controls. This will be the tough part. You need to look at other builds that incorporate v-tails mixing. You may what to go elevator only first, but this may have some yaw moments due to how the the tails are oriented. If your transmitter has v-tail as an option then you can setup your V/R to control the rates for rudder control. If your transmitter does not have this option then you need a v-tail mixer, but slowly increase the rates for rudder movements.
Because of the mixing not being linear a gyro may be need for stabilization.
p901P901 is online now Find More Posts by p901P901
Last edited by p901P901; Sep 02, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,084 Posts
Youll have your 10mm outlines, the drawing above shows the front 10 or so sections completed. Im doing the duct work for my behalf
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:07 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
Yes I agree with you on building a smaller version, but instead of using 50mm fans why not just install a pusher? Thats what D Fast did with his J-14 for proof of concept test bed. You still need to figure out the V-tail controls. This will be the tough part. You need to look at other builds that incorporate v-tails mixing. You may what to go elevator only first, but this may have some yaw moments due to how the the tails are oriented. If your transmitter has v-tail as an option then you can setup your V/R to control the rates for rudder control. If your transmitter does not have this option then you need a v-tail mixer, but slowly increase the rates for rudder movements.
Because of the mixing not being linear a gyro may be need for stabilization.
No stinkin pushers for me Air Sally said that CN was having problems with it wanting to snap roll with rudder input. Wonder if maybe it only likes small amount of input on the rudders. My airtronics 8000 I think has options for vtail and I think my hitec will do it also. I will start with just elevators.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:10 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
Youll have your 10mm outlines, the drawing above shows the front 10 or so sections completed. Im doing the duct work for my behalf
AHHH man no ducts for me!! I got to go to pharmacy. Siatic nerve is got my back and hip killing me. My back just above my hip is swelled up about an inch fat Bummer I just called the pharmacy and they are closed. Going to have to grin and bare it.
Last edited by unclecrash; Sep 02, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:24 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p901P901 View Post
I have no idea what make computer or OS you have. If its windows have you ran disc cleanup or disc defrag? The programs you use less frequently can be compressed also to free up some space. Also try using an external usb drive and move some files on to it. 320GB drives are around $50.
I do have a small Sandisk which is about 5 bucks or so and about a gig or so. That I use for my bookmarks also but now that my Nephew told me gmail svaes all my stuff I will use the sandisk to put some stuff on. Just checked it about 1.8 Gig
Last edited by unclecrash; Sep 02, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 07:28 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
I was reading that the outlets on the yf23 are angled in I believe it was a degree and a half to keep the thrust off the ruddervators.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclecrash View Post
No stinkin pushers for me Air Sally said that CN was having problems with it wanting to snap roll with rudder input. Wonder if maybe it only likes small amount of input on the rudders. My airtronics 8000 I think has options for vtail and I think my hitec will do it also. I will start with just elevators.
I can see snap rolls happening with rudder inputs that are linear in control. They can act as roll inputs. There has to be some inputs to roll to prevent this. If you where to couple yaw inputs with roll inputs you could prevent this. But all of this will be an experiment, so leaving the v-tail as elevator is the way to go for now. Ive seen flight stabilizers like the Guardian http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/ that may work to stabilize all three axes. There are around $80 and according to this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...dian+eagl+tree seems to be an ideal candidate.

"In terms of specific control input tasking: yaw control was controlled by the V-tails (the trailing edge wing flaps compensated for roll caused by the V-tail). Roll was controlled by differential deflection of the flaperons. Pitch was controlled by deflection of the V-tail." ref. http://www.yf-23.net/technical.html
Last edited by p901P901; Sep 03, 2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Yaw control quote
Old Sep 03, 2012, 01:28 PM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,084 Posts
thanks for the wing chords, p901p901.
Scratching my head trying to figure out where to cut the chord, wont be much wing. Whats this 1.5 degree thing with the exhaust. that pretty much where my duct work ends and bulkhead tweaking before putting this to 2d and prints.
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:09 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
If you look at the a good top view showing the engines and nozzles they are angled so slightly to the center line. I think I read it in Glass Air Allens build log. I will see if I can find it.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
1,260 Posts
I think what your looking at is the hot deck that is funneled to the center by 2.25 degrees.
The inboard core is a challenge as some of the airfoil is part of the fuselage back where the flaperon is.
Last edited by p901P901; Sep 03, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:49 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Yes but if you look at the first pic you posted just past the S curve in the duct you will see the ducts,engines and everything is pitching in towards the center line.
Last edited by unclecrash; Sep 03, 2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:53 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Here is the thread of Glass Air Allen he used to work for Northrop Gruman he was a model maker I believe. He made a couple huge yf23's and a smaller one for edf. I don't know if he got any of them sorted out, but there is a lot of good info in his thread. I wish his site was still up. But it appears that it does not work any more.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...23#post5375468
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:56 PM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_FAST View Post
thanks for the wing chords, p901p901.
Scratching my head trying to figure out where to cut the chord, wont be much wing. Whats this 1.5 degree thing with the exhaust. that pretty much where my duct work ends and bulkhead tweaking before putting this to 2d and prints.
I think you will have to split the wing right at the red line or so in the pic above.