HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 26, 2012, 02:17 PM
Canada, NL, Conception Bay South
Joined Jun 2012
123 Posts
Discussion
Hanger 9 Piper J-3 Cub 40

I have the above mentioned plane with a Saito FG-14B 4 stroke gas engine. In the Hanger 9 manual, it states that when mounting the engine, the drive washer must be 4.5" (112.5mm) ahead of the firewall. On the saito, the closest that I can get, due to the location of the carb at the back of the engine, is 124.5mm or 4.98". Will having the motor mounted 0.48" (11.5mm) further AWAY from the firewall then indicated in the manual make any difference that I should be concered about (other then CoG and difficulity fitting the cowl)?

Jim
Newfie Pilot is online now Find More Posts by Newfie Pilot
Last edited by Newfie Pilot; Aug 27, 2012 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:18 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Pilot View Post
I have the above mentioned plane with a Saito FG-14B 4 stroke gas engine. In the Hanger 9 manual, it states that when mounting the engine, the drive washer must be 4.5" (112.5mm) ahead of the firewall. On the saito, the closest that I can get, due to the location of the carb at the back of the engine, is 124.5mm or 4.98". Will having the motor mounter 0.48" (11.5mm) further AWAY from the firewall then indicated in the manual make any difference that I should be concered about (other then CoG and difficulity fitting the cowl)?

Jim
Hi Jim,

Just install another former behind the existing one and make openings in the present one to clear the carburetor.

You will then keep the same overall dimensions and have no problem witht the cowl installation.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
123 Posts
Could you please clarify further? Do you mean place a second firewall behind the original and the cut a hole in the forward one to allow me to move the engine in the mount the 1/2" back, thus giving me the 4.5" from outer firewall to the drive washer? Why not just cut a hole in the existing one without placing a second one behind the first? Is the 1/2" really worth the effort i.e. is it going to cause problems? Don't get me wrong, if it will greatly affect the flight characteristics of the plane, then I will modify it...
Last edited by Newfie Pilot; Aug 26, 2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:12 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Outside of looking a little weird, I doubt that the .48" will make much difference in performance.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:00 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Newfie Pilot,

I fully agree with Tom that there will be no noticeable difference in the way the model flies.

What I undestand however is that your cowl is too short to intall the engine further ahead. By cutting the firewall to accommodate the carb the firewall is weakened. A second firewall behind the existing one brings back the strength of the fuselage front and allows your cowl to be installed normally.

Also a firewall should be sealed so that if any exhaust leakage takes place in the engine compartment it does not get into the fuselage. The second firewall will allows that seallng.

Also there would be much less effect on the CG location.

I am not telling you what to do. I am just explaining my understanding of your situation and mentioned what I would do.

Zor
Last edited by Zor; Aug 28, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Just checking
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:47 AM
Joined Jun 2012
123 Posts
OK, got it. Thanks for your help. I will more then likely end up following your suggestion.

Jim.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:56 PM
Joined Jun 2012
123 Posts
Official reply from Horizon Hobby:

Quote:
Hello Jim,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department...

...It will effect CG but the motor should be in a safe range of distance not to add much strain to the mount.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:23 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie Pilot View Post
Hi Newfie Pilot,

Quote:

Quote:
Hello Jim,
Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department...
...It will effect CG but the motor should be in a safe range of distance not to add much strain to the mount
Of course you already knew that moving the engine forward would affect the CG (useless mention by the fellow at Horizon Hobby).

The rest of the text (the motor should be in a safe range of distance not to add much strain to the mount) does not make much good sense to me.

I interpret "should be in a safe range" as meaning "further away" which was your necessity to clear the caburetor. When the range (distance) increases there is more moment arm for the motor mass to create objectionale forces to the firewall.

I found that the replies we get from such places mainly involve selecting pre-written text that often has no relation to our queries or simply do not make any sense as selected by the person replying.

I think you had better advice from this thread.
Your turn to select what makes better sense to your judgment.

Zor
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:28 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
The Hangar 9 Cub, and your Saito are both sold by Horizon. I would think that they would be fully aware of any problems if you use this application.

You could always add triangle stock to the rear of the firewall, and pin the firewall too the fuselage sides using bamboo skewers, if you are still worried about it.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined May 2011
13 Posts
I just installed a FA 56 in mine. Fit great. 4.5 inches with no problems. Could always sell engine and put 56 in.
bryan3658 is offline Find More Posts by bryan3658