SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Feb 2007
545 Posts
You are correct. I don't use a lipo bag but do put them in the small zip lock type plastic bags that small parts come in. Then I put that in a pouch in back pack. I put heli in small Tupperware container to minimize space taken in backpack. I take AAs out of TX and put them in carry-on backpack, same as lipos. I carefully put foam or something to protect TX in checked bag (without AAs). If you have a nicer TX you may not want in checked bag. I've taken 9958s, V911, quad copters micro size, and brought back nano from Chicago. Last time I think the woman was trying to figure out the heli (with canopy off) in Tupperware when xray'd but didn't get stopped. The swing blades are nice to take less space and the tupperwear is the kind that latches on 4 sides of lid, so it holds stuff in tightly (but small for throwing in back pack). Maybe takes sticks off TX if using dx4e or nicer one to help prevent damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Say, I'm about to fly to Singapore this Friday, and I plan on bringing my Blade 130x, and Nano. And I was wondering if any of you have had experience with bringing lipo batteries on the plane? I've been doing some research about this on the web, and found that I should be ok if I wrap my batteries individually either with plastic or tape off the ends so that they can't short out, and to put them in a lipo bag, and bring as carry on.

I also had a friend tell me that he brought an extra laptop battery with him as carry on, and he had it in a lipo bag. And that the TSA screener told him that if he didn't have it in a lipo bag it would have been confiscated.

Anyhow, just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem bringing their lipos with them on the plane.

Thanks.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:44 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
EDIT: Not sure if you misinterpreted me or you were speaking more to the other user (didnt see you had two quotes in your reply and also misread part of your reply whoops) phone browsing...

I have been charging parallel and series for years without issues but dont like series parallel due to balancing not being 100% all the time

If you charged your series as larger series instead of parallel charging series packs you would not ever have to charge them by themselves to insure proper balancing. As each cell in the series would always be individually balanced Again this is why I do not parallel charge series packs
No I understood your earlier post and was just adding onto it for the general public. More of a Powerlab plug than anything!

I know you know your stuff and I always get valuable info from ya!
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:22 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jan 2010
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Say, I'm about to fly to Singapore this Friday, and I plan on bringing my Blade 130x, and Nano. And I was wondering if any of you have had experience with bringing lipo batteries on the plane? I've been doing some research about this on the web, and found that I should be ok if I wrap my batteries individually either with plastic or tape off the ends so that they can't short out, and to put them in a lipo bag, and bring as carry on.

I also had a friend tell me that he brought an extra laptop battery with him as carry on, and he had it in a lipo bag. And that the TSA screener told him that if he didn't have it in a lipo bag it would have been confiscated.

Anyhow, just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem bringing their lipos with them on the plane.

Thanks.
I fly internationally quite often with lipos, and while I should know the exact rules, I do not. Some airlines do not want you carrying them on. I have seen signs in various airports that show lipos as not allowed, while other airports treat them the same as any other battery.

I carry my TX case as a carry on as I do not trust checking it with the airlines. I leave the TX battery in the tx, (not a lipo) and have spare room for at least 1 micro heli and my battery charger + adapters. I put my lipo's in a lipo sac, and place them in my checked luggage using clothes as padding. I have gotten the TSA paper showing that my bag was opened and inspected more than once, but have never had issues flying internationally or domestically this way.

Also, I have carried e-flite boxes as one of my carry on's before. You can fit an mcpX, mqx, 2 chargers, spare parts, and have a little extra room in a MQX box that will fit nicely in the overhead. I have put this box in my checked baggage as well, but always worry about it arriving safely as my luggage looks like it has been through h3!! after only a few years of service.
Whirlyman5000 is offline Find More Posts by Whirlyman5000
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Still loving my nano but already broke 3 landing skids. Does anyone here know if the microheli carbon fiber skids for the MSR fit the nano without having to mod the main frame?
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Last edited by noobiznessflying; Oct 16, 2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:06 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
Does anyone here know if the microheli carbon fiber skids for the MSR fit the nano without having to mod the main frame?
The MSR skids are exactly the same as the nano skids (same part). Same pin size, same pin spacing etc.

So if the microheli skids fit the MSR, then they'll fit the nano.

I've never had a problem with skids myself. Seems to be the one thing I've never broken. Guess I've been lucky that way.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
The MSR skids are exactly the same as the nano skids (same part). Same pin size, same pin spacing etc.

So if the microheli skids fit the MSR, then they'll fit the nano.

I've never had a problem with skids myself. Seems to be the one thing I've never broken. Guess I've been lucky that way.
I assumed the same thing. Just wasn't sure if the microheli skids need to be paired up with the microheli frame for a perfect fit.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:32 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
Oh yea, you've been lucky.. LOL

And thanks for all of you that gave advice on how to bring LiPo batteries on the plane. Just my luck I'll get some ars going through my luggage and decide to confiscate them, even if I do have a copy of the TSA laws, when it comes to the inspectors it's sometimes no good to argue with them.

Worst case scenario is that they take the batteries, and I just have to buy new ones at Singapore Hobby. I want to check out that store anyway, by the looks of their web site they have quite the selection. It's a little pricy, but they have some stuff there that's hard to find any place else. Even have a friend here in the states that is giving me money to buy him a plane that is out of production but http://www.singahobby.com/ still has in stock.

Any how, I digress from the thread subject. Now back to Nano talk.

I was flying my Nano today and I had the problem with it cutting out dead on me again, sometimes it happens when I start to spool up, just goes dark, then starts back up again. And I've had it happen in flight as well, it doesn't seem to loose signal because once it lights back up it starts spinning again. No delay for gyro initialization. But sometimes it flies with no problem. Anyone else come across this? All connections seem to be good. I'm starting to wonder if it's just the one battery, so I'm going to keep an eye on that one, see if it happens only with the one battery, it is one of my older ones.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:05 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
I had a bad battery do the same thing. After a few cycles it went away and gradually improved............
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcflyair View Post
I had a bad battery do the same thing. After a few cycles it went away and gradually improved............
Thanks, I was going to continue to use the suspected battery, so we will see if it continues to improve as well. Actually now that I'm thinking about it, I think I'll go fly it right now. I needed an excuse to do another flight.. LOL
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:31 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
Still loving my nano but already broke 3 landing skids. Does anyone here know if the microheli carbon fiber skids for the MSR fit the nano without having to mod the main frame?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=68
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,276 Posts
Just recieved 2 Hyperion 160's this afternoon, I wanted to compare them with my stock E-Flight 150's and a Thunderpower 160. I'm pretty impressed, the Hyperion's have better low end punch then the E-Fights and they are brand new, my stock batteries were never as punchy as these when new. As for how they compare to the TP....quite a bit better, the TP is good and I like it since it gives me longer run time but after 1 min. or so there is a noticable drop in power and the motor will bog pretty bad when I try to do any acro. Looking to see how they improve as they break in.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
577 Posts
Has anyone got near 100 flights on the stock brushed motor?

The reason I ask..... I'm now on my third motor. I got about 60 flights on the first that came with the heli, then only about 50 on the second one. Performance was great while they lasted, but I'm not going to be buying too many more at $12 each - no matter how great the heli is.

I'm not anxious to go brushless...........
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Thank you my rc brutha! I'm definitely ordering them. I like how they look too makes the nano look a little "manlier" than stock.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:46 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,986 Posts
Quote:

The reason I ask..... I'm now on my third motor. I got about 60 flights on the first that came with the heli, then only about 50 on the second one. Performance was great while they lasted, but I'm not going to be buying too many more at $12 each - no matter how great the heli is.

mine (my first) gave out around the same time you describe ... 50 flights or so ... (right now the nano is grounded and I am pondering what to do - but this is yet another screaming proof that the brushed technology has finally arrived at the end of the road ... they should sell this stuff with brushless motors right from the start ... I cant wait to see where those guys in Switzerland get with their DOUBLE brushless nano "experiment" ...)
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:

I think have done close to 100 flights on my motor. It did start pulsing slightly after aprox 40 flights so i lubed the bearing! I now lube the bearing before each session and its doing fine.
I take turns flying the nano , mcpx and 130x so it gets a nice cool down period!
cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration