HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:52 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
In parallel you always set it to the cell count on a per battery basis (never mixed different series packs) and add the mAh up for the charge rate.
So 1s at a rate of 900mAh for a 1 C charge (150*6 for that particular harness)

I use that harness as well and like it for 1s charging but since I also have a lot of bigger toys I never charge in parallel for anything over 1 cell. Instead charge in series for multi cell like 2 2s5000 as a 4s5000 so i can keep tabs on each individual cell
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 15, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:13 AM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDaHero View Post
I have been following the brush-less conversion thread...
Just incase the thread to follow is this one http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=459685
You will find all the info and a larger knowledge base if you have any questions
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:43 PM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
Here is the way it was explained to me, The way the different blades work is actually pretty simple. Heavy blades "the bullet blades" actually swing back a little as the rotor spins and because of this makes it more stable while the Lighter weight blades do nearly to opposite, they swing straight out or even a little forward as the rotor spins and because of that it makes the blade more responsive. I know that when I first heard this I was a little confused since I thought they all swung straight out but my buddy at the field is a very experianced heli pilot r/c and full size and he gave a good analogy on how this works.....When riding in someones car stick your hand out the window, now hold your hand straight out or even a bit forward of yourself "it's really easy to make it go up and down with little effort", now do the same thing but hold your hand as far back as you can go "The up and down movement is much less sensitive to the pitch change of your hand". Just thought I'd share something I found interesting.

I was thinking that the bullet on the bullet blades is what makes the helicopter more stable, similar to the weights on a flybar. As the blades are spinning, the added weight at the bullets creates a centripetal force right there at the location of the bullets. Now this works similar to a bicycle wheel, if you take a bicycle wheel of lets say 3 feet in diameter and spin it, then try to rotate it you feel the opposition to your rotating it, now if you choose a wheel that is 4 feet in diameter, it's even harder to rotate, and of course a smaller wheel makes it easier, etc.

So those bullets are creating the same effect as that wheel, with the centripetal force being located at the bullet, this opposes any movement to the helicopter, making it more stable. If the bullets were located farther out, it would be more stable, and closer in less stable, etc.

I could be wrong, this was just how I was thinking it worked, hell, maybe we are both right!
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
I agree with your statements. I've been flying mine around nice and slow just getting a feel of rudder and cyclic (I'm new to CP) - "old man flying" as stated in the thread. I enjoy that as well as getting out in the open flying more high speed banks. Only tried a few flips so far (some successful), but will try more (out in the open).

I think this is one of the best, most versatile helis to come out in a while.

Battery life is not bad just doing the slow fwd, hover type flying.

But with the dx4e controller you do have to hold it back quite a bit (even in low rates), this thing is a fast heli, but behaves fairly well in slow speed.

I definitely see a wide range of users, with different goals flying this heli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide View Post
I think there's a use case for that.

I find the mCX too slow and unmaneuverable, and it doesn't fly like a "real" helicopter due to its being a coax. Meanwhile, I generally like the way the mSR flies but the pendulum effect really detracts from the fun.

I was really excited when the mSR X came out, but was very disappointed by issues I read about (e.g. swashplate resets on rudder input or something like that). The mCP X was tempting but too big for indoor flight, so I *almost* bought the Mini CP.

Along came the Ladybird, which was way cheaper and everyone was raving about it. I actually bought it and it's somewhat interesting, but I just don't really like the way it flies very much. I'd really rather fly a helicopter than a UFO :P

A tamed down nCP X sounds like a very interesting proposition for indoor flight with a "real" helicopter.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,223 Posts
I think we're both right, the only thing is that there is zero weight in the bullets other then the weight of the plastic so saying the force made by them spinning is stabilizing is probably true. However, the weight difference is quite small so I think the bullets are actually causing drag on the blade making it swing back a little during rotation thus helping with the stability. Just a thought, from my flying with both blades I really prefer the lightweight ones verses the bullets, with the stock motor it's better for aerobatic flight.
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
I think we're both right, the only thing is that there is zero weight in the bullets other then the weight of the plastic so saying the force made by them spinning is stabilizing is probably true. However, the weight difference is quite small so I think the bullets are actually causing drag on the blade making it swing back a little during rotation thus helping with the stability. Just a thought, from my flying with both blades I really prefer the lightweight ones verses the bullets, with the stock motor it's better for aerobatic flight.
I've tried them both and I can barely tell a difference between the two.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:23 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
The bullets move the CG of the blade - it isn't about the total weight difference. The bullets get the CG of the blade a little farther forward which makes it "bite" a bit less (like a nose-heavy airplane), and the CG is closer to the hub as well, which makes it more stable (increases coning). The reason they lead the head a little bit is due to the CG being closer to the hub - like when the skater brings her arms in and spins faster... bringing the CG in causes the blade to move forward a bit.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
I've tried them both and I can barely tell a difference between the two.
yup same feeling here
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
I thought we might be both correct, I've been using the bullet blades, was hoping to slow that little bugger down for the flips to inverted in the house. It's such a responsive little helicopter, it's like a little bee buzzing around the house, but once you get used to it it will stop on a dime. I was messing with the cat, flew fast up to him, then stopped just before hitting him, scared the crap out of him.. LOL Funny how he doesn't go after it, I keep hoping that he does, I'm sure the blades would give him a nice whack! Yes, I hate our cat. Don't worry, I'm not cruel to it, but if he jumps up to grab the helicopter and gets whacked, it's not my fault.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:09 PM
Joined Oct 2007
56 Posts
Quote:
True didn't think about that, so would you still set the charger to charge only one or as in the picture above six? Or do you set the charger based on voltage since its in parallel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
In parallel you always set it to the cell count on a per battery basis (never mixed different series packs) and add the mAh up for the charge rate.
So 1s at a rate of 900mAh for a 1 C charge (150*6 for that particular harness)

I use that harness as well and like it for 1s charging but since I also have a lot of bigger toys I never charge in parallel for anything over 1 cell. Instead charge in series for multi cell like 2 2s5000 as a 4s5000 so i can keep tabs on each individual cell
In parallel, voltage does not change and capacity is totaled. Does not matter if batteries have the same mah rating or not as long as they are the same S count. In series, voltage increases according to how many cells you have but capacity should be the same for each battery or you run the risk of overcharging.

I have a 40amp charger and unlike indoorheli, I charge most of my batteries in parallel and the charger does all of the calculations for me. I have never had any issues and every once in a while I charge them by themselves to insure proper balancing. The Powerlab does an excellent job at parallel charging and the batteries stay pretty balanced.

For the nano 1S batteries, I set it up for a 2C charge at 300mah and it ask me how many batteries I am charging and it sets everything else up. I do not have to tell it how many cells or nothing because it already knows and it will make all of the calculations and charge up to 9 batteries at once.

It was a little costly but man it is a great charger and you spend less time worrying about your batteries and more time flying! Plus charging in parallel, your charge times are dramatically decreased! BTW, I hardly ever charge above 2C.
UniDaHero is offline Find More Posts by UniDaHero
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:12 PM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Say, I'm about to fly to Singapore this Friday, and I plan on bringing my Blade 130x, and Nano. And I was wondering if any of you have had experience with bringing lipo batteries on the plane? I've been doing some research about this on the web, and found that I should be ok if I wrap my batteries individually either with plastic or tape off the ends so that they can't short out, and to put them in a lipo bag, and bring as carry on.

I also had a friend tell me that he brought an extra laptop battery with him as carry on, and he had it in a lipo bag. And that the TSA screener told him that if he didn't have it in a lipo bag it would have been confiscated.

Anyhow, just wanted to know if anyone has had a problem bringing their lipos with them on the plane.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:17 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniDaHero View Post
In parallel, voltage does not change and capacity is totaled. Does not matter if batteries have the same mah rating or not as long as they are the same S count. In series, voltage increases according to how many cells you have but capacity should be the same for each battery or you run the risk of overcharging.

I have a 40amp charger and unlike indoorheli, I charge most of my batteries in parallel and the charger does all of the calculations for me. I have never had any issues and every once in a while I charge them by themselves to insure proper balancing. The Powerlab does an excellent job at parallel charging and the batteries stay pretty balanced.

For the nano 1S batteries, I set it up for a 2C charge at 300mah and it ask me how many batteries I am charging and it sets everything else up. I do not have to tell it how many cells or nothing because it already knows and it will make all of the calculations and charge up to 9 batteries at once.

It was a little costly but man it is a great charger and you spend less time worrying about your batteries and more time flying! Plus charging in parallel, your charge times are dramatically decreased! BTW, I hardly ever charge above 2C.
EDIT: Not sure if you misinterpreted me or you were speaking more to the other user (didnt see you had two quotes in your reply and also misread part of your reply whoops) phone browsing...

I have been charging parallel and series for years without issues but dont like series parallel due to balancing not being 100% all the time

If you charged your series as larger series instead of parallel charging series packs you would not ever have to charge them by themselves to insure proper balancing. As each cell in the series would always be individually balanced Again this is why I do not parallel charge series packs
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 15, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The bullets move the CG of the blade - it isn't about the total weight difference. The bullets get the CG of the blade a little farther forward which makes it "bite" a bit less (like a nose-heavy airplane), and the CG is closer to the hub as well, which makes it more stable (increases coning). The reason they lead the head a little bit is due to the CG being closer to the hub - like when the skater brings her arms in and spins faster... bringing the CG in causes the blade to move forward a bit.
On the nose (as always from Jasmine).
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Oct 15, 2012, 03:17 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Actually, with the CG slightly forward the blades will lag behind, causing the decrease in "bite" as Jasmine says. Putting the weights further out would make the helicopter more stable, but they wouldn't lag as much. The heavier weight would make the blades cone less (more "pull" to the outside) but the blades don't make the helicopter more positively stable, they just slow it down for more neutral stability.
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:58 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,015 Posts
+1.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812