HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
For those that have had to replace the main motor....

Do you fly mainly 3D/inverted and various stunts or 'scale' and do you fly multi batt packs back to back with little to no cool down between flights?
dtheli is offline Find More Posts by dtheli
Last edited by dtheli; Oct 13, 2012 at 09:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
You don't by any chance have a link to their site do you? I googled 'Airtime' and got some web site for video conferencing?

Thanks.

Just busted up my landing gear, luckily I had an old mSR so stole the skids from that one.

P.S. Anyone have any advice on how to get the little tab of the landing skids out of the main frame when it breaks off flush? Luckily that didn't happen this time, but it happened twice on my mCPX, and I could not for the life of me get that little tab that broke off of the skids out of the main frame. It had broken off flush, so no way of grabbing it to pull out. I ended up replacing the whole frame, which was a pain in the ars!
This is Rich's e-mail address Air Time <airtimercproducts@gmail.com>

I broke off a skid into the frame today and I used an exact knife to get it out. Just use the point to pry it out. He is designing quite a few things for the Nano and will be out relatively soon. He has a full time job so that cuts into his spare time.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Last edited by Willyboy; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
No prob

I might try that but I have gotten so use to loose sticks it might prove an issue.

Are you sure 120 is actually doing something for you? I tried with both of my nanos moving travel up to 130 and then back down until they started to move. At 105 they bounced a bit show slight binding and at 103% wasnt stressing the servos anymore but didnt give much more than 100%

As far as indoor you just gotta crash a lot...at least thats what i do
Hmmm, no I am not sure. Could be the placebo effect. I fly 85 D/R in the house with no expo. I can flip and roll it okay, I just need to get my timing better for tighter flips & rolls. Working on inverted and that is challenging but fun. Thank God this little bugger bounces so well. As long as I hit TH, just pick it up and go again.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:16 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
Quote:
I can flip the nano in my shower and even a little bit under a table..had to try

The mcpx Smallest area I could go was my bathroom.

The nano I can run into anything without worrying about damage.

So yes IMHO if you have a mcpx the nano is still well worth it but skill dependent you might have to still practice a bit with a pretend ceiling outside before flipping inside
Ive gotten a lot better now with flipping in place in all directions. I'll have to try under the table. Trying to learn piroflips now.
still a little confused about what breaks on them for various people. I have never had the collar shift on the main shaft nor have had a skid break. but ive busted 3 booms, cracked up the canopy, broken a swashplate, busted the canopy mounts and replaced the frame.. and been through 3 tail motors and 3 main motors.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Plano, Dallas, TX
Joined Oct 2008
150 Posts
I have to say that i just love the nano. I find my self inverted most of the time like everbody else and love it :-)

I replaced the main motor on my crash nano with an mSR X motor, but even after breaking it in my other nano still has more power. Same batteries. I guess I just got lucky with that one.

Got rid of the annoying linking/binding problems where it takes several disconnects and reconnects of the batt. Turned out that the throttle output was -9 and when i changed it to -5 it links the first time everytime.

I just have to say wow! I wish it it was there at the 4#3 and 4g6 time. Would had saved me a lot of fixing time!

/Hans.
HansV is offline Find More Posts by HansV
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Ive gotten a lot better now with flipping in place in all directions. I'll have to try under the table. Trying to learn piroflips now.
still a little confused about what breaks on them for various people. I have never had the collar shift on the main shaft nor have had a skid break. but ive busted 3 booms, cracked up the canopy, broken a swashplate, busted the canopy mounts and replaced the frame.. and been through 3 tail motors and 3 main motors.
Yeah it is a real life SIM. I have done a few ugly piroflips in my living room.
I have broke swash, canopy, landing gear and a feathering shaft. But still using the original swash after a hg job. Most of the damage was from the serious beatings I gave it into the concrete. So it took much effort on my part.

On the shaft collar I keep mine loose so less stress to the head and motor during a crash
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:31 PM
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Joined Feb 2007
110 Posts
Quote:
Someone said that you have to cut the frame for it to fit but it gives more power....I think i remember reading around a 500rpm increase.
As far as clockwise to counter-clockwise to switch between the two should only require reversing the polarity.

I use both mcx2 main motors for tail motors on the nano
hi guys, im planning goin brushless too when dylans have it ready mainly for less maintanance, but now im looking for a cheap tail motor replacement but that also holds as good like the stock tail, ive seen that mcx2 motors like INDOORHELI said but arent that cheap, but they hold good? i see sellers in ebay selling the AEO rc tail motor but people report that isnt good, so i was thinking on this ones, one is the tandem helicopter motor (vendor say it works for mcpx tail) and the other is the mcx2 ccw, they look alot the same in appereance, what you think:

cheapest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item3f159bcfd9

mcx2 ccw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-EFLH...item4d02c26c7d

if those work what is an easy way to take the motor pinions off the motor, thanks in advance!
migser85 is offline Find More Posts by migser85
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,926 Posts
Oh yeah haven't bent a feathering shaft yet either.
That's what surprises me I read a lot of people bending those and shifting the shaft collar.
Seems like I've been breaking what doesn't break for everyone else.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Hmmm, no I am not sure. Could be the placebo effect. I fly 85 D/R in the house with no expo. I can flip and roll it okay, I just need to get my timing better for tighter flips & rolls. Working on inverted and that is challenging but fun. Thank God this little bugger bounces so well. As long as I hit TH, just pick it up and go again.
You could be correct with respect to the 'placebo' effect, when I was outside with my Nano a couple of days ago, I could do tight flips right in front of me with no problems, I get in the house, same area to work in, maybe a little more, and I'm crashing all over the place. But I was able to do it with my rates set for 120!

And I seriously think it was because in my mind I felt more confident that this would help me flip faster, when it actualy didn't, it was just my technique that got better.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
This is Rich's e-mail address Air Time <airtimercproducts@gmail.com>

I broke off a skid into the frame today and I used an exact knife to get it out. Just use the point to pry it out. He is designing quite a few things for the Nano and will be out relatively soon. He has a full time job so that cuts into his spare time.

Bob
Thanks, I'll check it out.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:40 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
You could be correct with respect to the 'placebo' effect, when I was outside with my Nano a couple of days ago, I could do tight flips right in front of me with no problems, I get in the house, same area to work in, maybe a little more, and I'm crashing all over the place. But I was able to do it with my rates set for 120!

And I seriously think it was because in my mind I felt more confident that this would help me flip faster, when it actualy didn't, it was just my technique that got better.
Yeah, I hear you loud and clear. I get real nervous in the house. Once I stop overworking the collective and get my timing right, the better flyer I will become.
Last edited by Willyboy; Oct 13, 2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by migser85 View Post
hi guys, im planning goin brushless too when dylans have it ready mainly for less maintanance, but now im looking for a cheap tail motor replacement but that also holds as good like the stock tail, ive seen that mcx2 motors like INDOORHELI said but arent that cheap, but they hold good? i see sellers in ebay selling the AEO rc tail motor but people report that isnt good, so i was thinking on this ones, one is the tandem helicopter motor (vendor say it works for mcpx tail) and the other is the mcx2 ccw, they look alot the same in appereance, what you think:

cheapest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item3f159bcfd9

mcx2 ccw:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E-Flite-EFLH...item4d02c26c7d

if those work what is an easy way to take the motor pinions off the motor, thanks in advance!
I used the mcx2 motors because I had a few in stock when i switched out my boom. (forgot I broke that too) They seem to work as well as the stock motor as far as hold goes. I have a few spare mcpx tails too but I think they might be a bit too much kv...not sure though

If I wear going to buy another motor id just buy the complete tail..easy and no soldering

I take pinions off with a little heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Oh yeah haven't bent a feathering shaft yet either.
That's what surprises me I read a lot of people bending those and shifting the shaft collar.
Seems like I've been breaking what doesn't break for everyone else.
On nano 1 feathering shaft was butter. On nano 2 it is solid so maybe nano 1 had a slight warp in it to begin with.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:34 PM
Build it up!
United States, MN, Coon Rapids
Joined Dec 2007
229 Posts
Got one today

About noon today I bought my Nano CPx BNF version. I set it up per manual on my DX6i with the following exceptions: 15% expos on ail. and elev. and low dual rates are 75% on ail. and elev. Two flights in I found this little bird needed almost no cyclic inputs to hover! Called my neighbor. (a heli pilot too) It took him about 2 or 3 seconds to find the "Hover button" and he said "Wow! It hovers with no stick inputs!!" 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th and eight flights this little bird is as steady as a rock!! I can't wait to rock & roll it outside!! I've seen videos of guys doing 3D with it over a coffee table. I'm kinda old and this reminds me of the toy commercials from the 60s: The toy always worked better on TV! Maybe I just need to shut up and practice more!! In June I watched the guy at my LHS flip & roll an mCPx which he claimed was stock except for the extended tail boom and metal swash plate within it's rotor length!! And the irony! My Trex 600 Nitro is a whole lot easier to fly than ALL of my smaller birds!! But 100 times more expensive to repair!! So is this why I keep getting small helis??... Must be.... More $$$ to Eflite...
13Flatspins is offline Find More Posts by 13Flatspins
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:31 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Quote:
Were you able to solve your toilet bowl effect problem? Was it your feathering shaft?

I noticed that I was getting the toilet bowl effect again today (still using the original shaft, but I did pick up a new one), so I looked at the shaft again, but this time I noticed that I had a lot of slop between the blade grips, my shaft had become loose (that just sounds strange! shaft had become loose! ), so once I tightened it back up flew like new again.
Yeah, I noticed the play as well but changed the feathering shaft anyway because I had a ton of crashes so..... I'm sure it was bent..... NO MORE TOILET!!!!! I think just tighening the shaft would have solved it though
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
Old Oct 14, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Definitely a dead main motor :/ it didn't last 40 flights! Shall I bother calling HH support?
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos