HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Hello all

Just bought the Nano this afternoon, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to flip it to inverted flight in my living room. Sorry if this has been asked before, tried searching for my question, and browsing through this thread but haven't found an answer yet.

I'm an experienced helicopter flyer, I have a 450X, and the 130X, and I can flip them and hover them in inverted flight no problem. I have no problem flipping the Nano outside, but I get it inside and I crash every time I flip to inverted. I know it can be done in small places, I even saw a video where one guy flipped it and was hovering inverted under his bed! And my living room is bigger than his bedroom.

So, I know it must be my technique, and I'm looking for some advice. I have my DX8 set to stock settings. Now I'm wondering should I be quicker on the cyclic stick than I would be on the bigger helicopters? So it flips faster, while at the same time drop the collective faster? In other words be quicker on the sticks than I would be on the bigger heli's? Or am I going to fast?

Again, I know it must be in my technique, and I was wondering what you guys discovered going from a larger helicopter to this little Nano?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.
You're not alone! I also have a 130x and I can flip that thing and fly it inverted all day long outside. I can do the same thing with the nano outside. But flying indoors highlights a lot of weaknesses in my flying.

I've been able to flip it inverted and do a few ceiling landings but IT IS NOT EASY!! Once I get into a stable inverted hover it's pretty easy but getting there is a bit tricky.

To me... the pitch is very sensitive on this heli and there's not much of a sweet spot for neutral pitch. I've messed around with softening the pitch around center and that helps a ton with flying boring upright circuits at a constant altitude. But it makes things a bit of a pain for flying inverted or flipping it.

So I haven't found a solution other than just continuing to hone my skills.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:52 AM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Yeah like Jasmine said for sure harder to fly when it is on full rates. But as always you can dumb it down to were it gets pretty easy to control.

I wont even suggest the mcpx over the nano now. The nano is so much better in almost every way.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
A bit late to the party, here. Was thinking about picking one of these up for flying in the living room this winter. I never was all that comfortable with flying the mCP X in the house. About all I ever did with it in the house was hover around & fly very slow circuits. The 130X is my choice for flying right from the deck & flying at our indoor spot. I've hovered my 130X in the living room, but I don't feel comfortable doing anything else with it at all. In contrast, I used to fly FFF circuits in the living room with my mSR, and even pulled off tail-in funnels with it. So, I'm looking for something that can comfortably fly faster, banked-turn circuits in the house. CP, of course.

From what I've gathered so far, most seem to be happy with this bird. Better power-to-weight than a stock mCP X, little to no bogging, solid tail, fast, agile, tough, handles 10 MPH winds. Am I missing anything, here? How about AS3X tuning? When it comes to the feel, is the system tuned to behave more like a miniature 130X, or more like a smaller mCP X?

My LHS is holding one for me in case I decide to pull the trigger today...

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Go small or go home
ruzam's Avatar
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Question, will the nano be more crash resistant than the mcpx and be cheaper to operate?
I think so, but parts are going to be scarce until supplies catch up. Smaller batteries are cheaper. The main motor may not be as durable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Easier to fly or harder?
Maybe easier, maybe harder. Much of that will all be in your head. It's so much less intimidating than an MCPX, it doesn't feel so risky and you can relax more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I'm thinking a new nano is better than a used mcpx
Get the new nano, no question.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:27 AM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post

From what I've gathered so far, most seem to be happy with this bird. Better power-to-weight than a stock mCP X, little to no bogging, solid tail, fast, agile, tough, handles 10 MPH winds. Am I missing anything, here? How about AS3X tuning? When it comes to the feel, is the system tuned to behave more like a miniature 130X, or more like a smaller mCP X?

My LHS is holding one for me in case I decide to pull the trigger today...

Joel
I have a few 130's too and no it isnt a minature 130x. More like a mcpx on crack and it can take a beating like it too

The gyro is super solid and the heli is super durable with as you said more power, little bogging and faster than the mcpx.

My favorite part about the heli is even brushless I can bounce it off everything in my home and it will keep flying. When I go back to my other helis 130 and larger everything feels slow motion.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:35 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have a few 130's too and no it isnt a minature 130x. More like a mcpx on crack and it can take a beating like it too

The gyro is super solid and the heli is super durable with as you said more power, little bogging and faster than the mcpx.

My favorite part about the heli is even brushless I can bounce it off everything in my home and it will keep flying. When I go back to my other helis 130 and larger everything feels slow motion.
Thanks! Looks like I'm sold. I'm not a big aerobatic guy when it comes to flying helis. I'm more into scale flight, but I want the option to spice things up when I feel like it. I'm to the point where I can comfortably do flips, rolls, and loops with the 130X without crashing. Hopefully, I can tame the Nano down a bit for scale-flying, FFF circuits around the living room, and some CD case spot-landing practice - like I used to do with my mSR back when I first started flying helis.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:44 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,795 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Thanks! Looks like I'm sold. I'm not a big aerobatic guy when it comes to flying helis. I'm more into scale flight, but I want the option to spice things up when I feel like it. I'm to the point where I can comfortably do flips, rolls, and loops with the 130X without crashing. Hopefully, I can tame the Nano down a bit for scale-flying, FFF circuits around the living room, and some CD case spot-landing practice - like I used to do with my mSR back when I first started flying helis.

Joel
Joel -

I keep running into you on these threads! Looks like we meet again on a (gasp) heli thread! I won't tell if you won't. Noticed you're awful quiet on the Spitfire site - no interest in that one?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:57 PM
Registered User
Teckos's Avatar
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Hello all

Just bought the Nano this afternoon, and I'm having a hell of a time trying to flip it to inverted flight in my living room. Sorry if this has been asked before, tried searching for my question, and browsing through this thread but haven't found an answer yet.

I'm an experienced helicopter flyer, I have a 450X, and the 130X, and I can flip them and hover them in inverted flight no problem. I have no problem flipping the Nano outside, but I get it inside and I crash every time I flip to inverted. I know it can be done in small places, I even saw a video where one guy flipped it and was hovering inverted under his bed! And my living room is bigger than his bedroom.

So, I know it must be my technique, and I'm looking for some advice. I have my DX8 set to stock settings. Now I'm wondering should I be quicker on the cyclic stick than I would be on the bigger helicopters? So it flips faster, while at the same time drop the collective faster? In other words be quicker on the sticks than I would be on the bigger heli's? Or am I going to fast?

Again, I know it must be in my technique, and I was wondering what you guys discovered going from a larger helicopter to this little Nano?

Thanks for any advice you may offer.
As far as I'm concerned I too had some trouble flipping inside until I realised three things : first I didn't notice it wasn't at 0 pitch at 50% right out the box since I was happily flipping it outside and throwing it all around to get used to the reactivity. Check that if you haven't already. I managed tight flips and rolls once I noticed I had some positive pitch mid sick.
Second, my last bashing toy was a BL mCpx which has a lot more power and i was used to give little pitch inputs during my stunts. The thing is I needed a lot more collective inputs with the nano to do the same stunts. Coming from a 2S bl 130x you're prolly too easy on the stick.
The third thing is speed. I realised I was also too slow on the sticks just as what you're pointing at. Be faster on cyclic and collective I also ended up setting 100 d/r in all flight modes. Hope it helps.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:58 PM
Registered User
TurboCinqy's Avatar
Tiel, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
Allready hate it.
Just got it one day and my main gear is missing a tooth after a small crash in high grass.

Thought it was crash resistance. Probably not.
I turned off the motor a.s.a.p.

I'm not the best heli pilot and it's quite tricky to fly it compared to a 500 so trying some things may result in a hard landing. I always try to get it in air as long as possible and straight up before impact.

Hope they will make better ones CF gears or something like that.
And for those small gears they are quite expensive. Make it a 3 pack or so.

now wait for spares. It still flies but it makes a weird sound.
TurboCinqy is offline Find More Posts by TurboCinqy
Last edited by TurboCinqy; Oct 11, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,719 Posts
I break gears on my solo pro 100 al the time. Comes with the territory. They can't be more than a few bucks. Should be easy to change.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:13 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
A stripped gear from a grass flight! I have crashed mine literally at least 150 times on pavement and hard floors and main gear intact. It must have been a bad part on your heli. I now run too tight of mesh and have crashed hard at plus 500 HS and still main gear is fine


Anyhow I just tested my new 180mAh mad dog battery on my brushless. It weighing in at only .15 grams heavier than stock now makes more sense now as no way is it 25C It was a pitiful flight and a 1.5 minutes in it would hardly flip. Now My mesh is a bit tight right now but I can still fly a new stock battery for 3 minutes solid and a used one for 2 plus.

I am getting a nano 2s 180 in later today that I will split into to batteries and see how that goes

So in dont waste your money on Mad Dog crap batteries.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 11, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
486 Posts
I'd second the opinion that it was defective to begin with. I've never stripped a gear on any of my small helis. I don't think the motor even has enough power to strip it.

I agree with the overpriced parts though, on all these micro helis. Gotta love it when they're selling tiny plastic links that cost them $0.01 per 20 pack for $1 each.
AWDstylez is offline Find More Posts by AWDstylez
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:42 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Joel -

I keep running into you on these threads! Looks like we meet again on a (gasp) heli thread! I won't tell if you won't. Noticed you're awful quiet on the Spitfire site - no interest in that one?
Yeah, you'll get some of that around here. Nice to run into you again! It appears that I have developed yet another addiction in this hobby. First it was the mSR, then the BSR, followed by the mCP X, and then the 130X & 300X - and now the Nano CPX. I've got to admit - this Earth-repelling stuff is actually kinda fun! Even for an old planker like me!

Regarding the Spit - I pretty much said my piece in that thread a long time ago. From what I've seen so far, it flies about like I had predicted. I have yet to see any video of it doing scale wartime maneuvers, such as zoom-climbs, reversals, and big-air loops. I want my warbirds to perform like they did during combat at full war-emergency power on 140 octane fuel - rather than like how they perform as heavily detuned, 70 year-old antiques, doing flybys at today's airshows. I have other planes for that sort of flying.

Back to the Nano.....

I'm off to the LHS....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Registered User
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Harder to fly because it has much more control available, but seems to be a bit more durable. Both of those things are probably due to the lower weight.
I actually find it easier to fly in many respects. Has less inertia than the mcpx, and doesn't get away from me as quickly. You're right, it's twitchier, but that translates to more instantaneous response to input.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
TurboCinqy's Avatar
Tiel, The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2007
252 Posts
I did made 3 loops in first flight outside but the loop took 1 second and it took me 4 to get it back on track.
Probably the wind didn't make it easier today. Yesterday there was no wind but just got it when it was dark

It always seems to be easy in YT movies but it's so hard to do it. And with the 500 i still have to much nerves to try someting (just got a HK500cmt with HK motor and esc) not the best so that will make it even worse.

This looked like a good sollution to learn.

I allready learned to hover a heli with a Walkera 4#3 v1 a few years ago and everything bigger was easier to fly.
Flying a 500 is only rounds loops, rolls and stall turns. First attempt for a tictoc almost ended in a crash.
Inverted should be possible but I'm terrifying to try. Just tried for 4 seconds or so half way a still stand loop.
TurboCinqy is offline Find More Posts by TurboCinqy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Walkera MiNi CP - Smallest 100 sized 3D helicopter zadaw Micro Helis 5691 Oct 27, 2014 05:46 PM
Discussion is there anything better than mcpx v2 at same or smaller size? Legendary_Agent 3D Electric Heli Flying 33 Feb 24, 2012 08:46 PM
Question Whatís Better than a Blade CP and Smaller than a Trex? HavingFun2002 Micro Helis 74 Mar 05, 2006 05:07 PM