Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Even if you go brushless tail, how will you control the tail if there is no signal output from the board for it? Might work with a shaft drive though
We used to do this mod on the old CP Pro and others like it, to install a brushless tail. The board just outputs a servo position for the rudder channel - if we have enough control over what position it outputs then it can be done. Basically, you need proportional mixing, plus gyro correction on that channel, and you're golden. You can do the proportional mixing in the radio, and if you add rate gyro behavior into that, it should work. The existing board might work for a helicopter, but I'm not going to try it because I'm happy with what we have
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:10 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Well i had a bit more time and since i plan to adjust my esc often I made a plug in play BLHeli power and signal adapter for straight hookup to the xp3A esc and the BLHeli usb stick.
So you know how to hook up the stick to the 3A ESC? I have the stick and ESC coming from Dylan this week (to shed some AUW). Is there an instruction sheet for how this is done?
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:25 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
My nCPX has the cyclic shakes just like my 130X and I have not been able to cure either one. I got a metal swash for my 130X in today and it completely solved the shakes. In fact it flies 100% better. Rock solid.

Cannot wait for a metal swash for the nCPX!!
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Last edited by Giovanni Day; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:26 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
We used to do this mod on the old CP Pro and others like it, to install a brushless tail. The board just outputs a servo position for the rudder channel - if we have enough control over what position it outputs then it can be done. Basically, you need proportional mixing, plus gyro correction on that channel, and you're golden. You can do the proportional mixing in the radio, and if you add rate gyro behavior into that, it should work. The existing board might work for a helicopter, but I'm not going to try it because I'm happy with what we have
Interesting, i never went brushless tail from servo output. I have obly done conversions on micro helis with brushed tails.
Thanks for the info, but I wont try it on this little heli either
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
So you know how to hook up the stick to the 3A ESC? I have the stick and ESC coming from Dylan this week (to shed some AUW). Is there an instruction sheet for how this is done?

I believe i do...but ill let you know if i burn it up.
I went off of these two three pictures and added a power wire in the mix

indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:38 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Here it is ready for flashing
If looking at it in this picture from top to bottom it goes:
signal
pos
neg

Trying to be as cool as Daryoon with better photos..but it isnt happening
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:48 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,534 Posts
where can i buy a flashed ESC?
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
where can i buy a flashed ESC?
Dylan or Topper, both do it for 5 bucks

No going back now..just soldered the board and cut the main power
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:08 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,240 Posts
Quote:
Well i had a bit more time and since i plan to adjust my esc often I made a plug in play BLHeli power and signal adapter for straight hookup to the xp3A esc and the BLHeli usb stick.
You may run into issue getting it to flash with the adapter wired up like this.

Let us know how it goes.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
You may run into issue getting it to flash with the adapter wired up like this.

Let us know how it goes.
why?
I didnt read where it said it wont work tapped straight to the 3n1 signal..do you know it wont work like this? if so ill go the other route...i didnt want to bend that plug would take a bit for me to solder it with not much work area

I guess it isnt too hard to work that little area and keep the plug... I only have one esc right now so i dont want to fry it
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Oct 02, 2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:04 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,240 Posts
It won't hurt, so give it a try.

Early on the BLHeli thread, Dylan of Astroid Design and myself did something similar. We tap into the two points and wired up ground to the connector. And it won't flash. Don't know why since the black point and the connectors are technically on the same trace.

I didn't mean to discourage you from trying. Just wanted you to be aware in case nothing was happening and you start wondering if you had fried something.

BTW, I would look up the post on HeliFreak...but I get a virus warning from Google since yesterday.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:24 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I went to my LHS (Atlanta Hobby) and picked one up earlier this afternoon. WOW what a great heli. I only have 4 packs through it but was able to do flip and fly inverted. I have to say it's a little faster than I expected and it's very very responsive. Performance seems more than adequate. Overall I'd say it's a perfect next step from my MSR. I will need a few more flights outside in the grass before I take it inside. Glad I went this route thanks again for all the advice.
Fidy$Trainer is offline Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:47 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,534 Posts
Sweet

Ill keep that in mind if i go bl

Quote:
Dylan or Topper, both do it for 5 bucks

No going back now..just soldered the board and cut the main power
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
It won't hurt, so give it a try.

Early on the BLHeli thread, Dylan of Astroid Design and myself did something similar. We tap into the two points and wired up ground to the connector. And it won't flash. Don't know why since the black point and the connectors are technically on the same trace.

I didn't mean to discourage you from trying. Just wanted you to be aware in case nothing was happening and you start wondering if you had fried something.

BTW, I would look up the post on HeliFreak...but I get a virus warning from Google since yesterday.
TOO LATE

I spent another 20 minutes re-soldering. My thought was on the previous that if people are offering a flashing service they have to tap it fast and if so I thought it must be through the standard side port. If that is true and works now I still have my adapter plug with battery hookup intact to try down the line.

The virus thing is only for a single zip on HF so i wouldnt worry about it
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
I just smoked my main motor. Just over 60 flights. 67 actually.

I was just at the shop today, and now they are closed. Msr main is too big...sad now...

Edit: I Just came in from a couple of packs on the brushless Mcpx out back and I feel better now. I can say two things after that, as it has been a week since I gave it any love.

1. The Mcpx is bigger than the Nano. Just so, I have the yellow canopy on the Mcpx from Extreme with the KDBB blades blah blah, my Mcpx is pretty yellow etc. so maybe it's just more visible, but it sure looked bigger than the Nano just now.

2. Everything happened in slow motion? I was way ahead of it. Supercool. (I mean to say I attribute my new powers to the Nano)

P.S. I obviously agree with the brushless conversions people are doing, and I will be among the first in line when Astroid Designs has an "Add To Cart" ready.

As to the ongoing conversation as to whether or not HH should have come correct on the subject of brushless motors vs brushed, conspiracies aside, what I do believe is that HH does what is in their best interest first. This tends to include good customer service from what I've seen. I am not past understanding bad luck either in certain cases on either side. But one has their doubts about what seems obvious from time to time.

I am calling them in the morning about the motor even though I do happen to have a spare in route, which is why I didn't think to get one at the shop tonight.

67 flights though? I have my IU pitch at H90 L10 even....I need to have a civil word with them about that.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Last edited by Number1BSArtist; Oct 03, 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:23 AM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
In addition to my previous observations during my evening of larger than Nano flying....I wanted to add that:

The Brushless Mcpx I have is what I consider a mild mod, sort of the way I thought the Mcpx should have been out of the box. Plus the tail-boom which continues to be a bit under sized in my opinion in V2. So it fills the void nicely for the Nano, save for the noise.

My Stock Mcpx V2 just got some action as well though, and I'm a little sad that it felt pretty ghetto just now compared to it's new little brother that just got sick. Enough power still, and maybe I need a new main there too, but ghetto nonetheless.

That's not to say that it doesn't have it's place in my heart because of the progress I did see with it. I feel strongly that I needed to add that the stock Mcpx V2 made me behave like what I consider a better pilot to be. It forces me to fly clean so to speak etc.

Which is a trait that I'm quickly losing with the Nano after just over a week of almost exclusive flying with it.

Last week, I was flying the Nano in the backyard(2nd/3rd day with it), one of my friends said "It looks like it's got it, but it looks jerky." I said "No, the bird is awesome. It's just me suckin'...alllll me...lol." <--We really did laugh out loud there.

I could never have flown so sloppy and carless with my stock Mcpx and gotten away with it. No way not ever. The nano has appropriate power to me. More than is necessary in many cases you could argue.

Longevity however? We'll have to see. Like I said in my previous post, I'm not past believing in bad luck, especially my own, but I'd like to see more than 67 flights out of my next Nano motor. And I wouldn't mind being made comfortable with the idea that this won't be the norm.

Having said all that, for me, it seems like the Mcpx always ever should have been what the Nano now is.

I should have ordered a second like some of you smart and able fellas did.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Last edited by Number1BSArtist; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:22 AM.