HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2002
398 Posts
Dang it.....after another supremely long break...the nano CP has brought me back into the fold again

I just ordered mine, but have 2 quick questions before it arrives.

1) Anyone using the Futaba T9CHP TX with a Spek DM8 module to control the nano CP? If yes, what are your settings? I think some Futaba settings are bit different compared to a Spek TX.

2) For lipo's, according to the post qouted below, the new Eflite 150mAh that comes with the nCPX is supposed to be the best battery to get today? It seems to be rated better than hyperions or thunder power....this really true? What is the maximum/recommended charge rate for these batteries? I know the hyperions can be charged from 1-5c safely.

(Update)
Well, I was fortunate to see a larger image of a picture of the Eflite batt and see that it can be charged at a max rate of 3C. That's a good rate and will allow me to reduce the charge times for these lipos. Guess I will get an additonal 4 pieces for a total of 6.

Thanks for any feedback, thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
The brushless setup with BLHeli flashed to the ESC is gonna have the govern function.

Dylan said he will have two version of the brushless mods. A low power and a high power.

Using the govern mode, the headspeed of the brushless will be the same as the stock motor. (I assume this is the low power setup?) But it will have the overhead to minimize bogging even more.

They are looking at about the same price as the mCPX brushless. ~$60.

The new Eflite 150mAh that comes with the nCPX is the same cells that debut with the mSRX earlier this year. Was nearly impossible to find then. Once I put them on the charger and charted their discharge curve, they consistently performed better than other cells, given the price ($3.99) and it's weight (4.23g). So that's my default cells over the Hyperion and Thunder Power.

I love the nCPX because for the first time, I consistently see people talking about keeping the heli as light as possible. Sometime I've stived for on all my micro FP helis. Losing weight is one of the best way to increase performance of the motor on these micro heli. It allows for a more agile bird that can pop accellerate out of danger quickly.

BTW, the Thunder Power 160 have always been one of the lightest weight performance 1s at the 150-160mAh capacity. These Eflite 25c 150mAh can approach the TP160's weight if you remove the label. You lose about .15g that way.

For brushless, Dylan reported liking the Hyperion 180. Good performance/weight ratio for the low power brushless setup.

Gonna have to do another battery roundup with the new cells I have on hand. MiniAviation 180, Turnigy 160 and Eflite 150 25c. This time at the max discharge my charger can handle: 1A.
butter_fingers is offline Find More Posts by butter_fingers
Last edited by butter_fingers; Oct 02, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:42 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,199 Posts
Ok found my answer over on helifreak from Brian James himself:

• Main blades should be kept loose for best performance. The fast flight blades provide more stability than the hi-performance blades. The hi-performance blades may cause the helicopter to exhibit a slight wobble when the model is "unloaded".

I think I'll give them a try tonight.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:44 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveap1 View Post
To me, the mcpx is slightly more visible outside than the nano. It's not a huge difference, though. They are both small helis, and visibility is always going to be an issue. To me, the difference is just not a big deal.

They seem to handle the wind about the same. It's hard to compare since wind conditions are never exactly the same, but my nano actually feels more solid in the wind than the mcpx.

Indoors, the nano is much better than the mcpx mainly due to the small size. It feels more stable, too. I have had trouble with carpet, though. Best to use a pizza box or a large envelope to take off.

I broke lots more parts on my mcpx than the nano, but that's not a fair comparison since I learned to fly on the mcpx. From what is being reported, the nano does seem to be more resistant to crash damage than the mcpx.

I'd go nano if I were making the decision between the two.
I think this is a good summary comparison between the two. For me, the mCPx was never a great indoor heli but it depends highly on your skill level too. Having said that though, everyone makes mistakes and if you make a mistake with the mCPx then you're gonna damage something in your house. The nano is very unlikely to damage anything including itself and it's almost guaranteed not to do any damage if you hit throttle hold.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, MI, Holland
Joined Sep 2012
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r/cdawg View Post
Ok found my answer over on helifreak from Brian James himself:

• Main blades should be kept loose for best performance. The fast flight blades provide more stability than the hi-performance blades. The hi-performance blades may cause the helicopter to exhibit a slight wobble when the model is "unloaded".

I think I'll give them a try tonight.
So help me understand which is which...

I just went to LHS during lunch and picked up the Nano (plus 6 batteries). The fast flight blades are the ones that are installed in the box - I see that on the description on the bladeheli web site. But which are the ones with bullets? The fast flight or the "high performance" ones? (I can't look since it I left it in the car!)
spiff72 is online now Find More Posts by spiff72
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post
So help me understand which is which...

I just went to LHS during lunch and picked up the Nano (plus 6 batteries). The fast flight blades are the ones that are installed in the box - I see that on the description on the bladeheli web site. But which are the ones with bullets? The fast flight or the "high performance" ones? (I can't look since it I left it in the car!)
The bullets are the fast flight blades. My nano came with the hi performance blades installed.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
WHY OH WHY are the bearings 2x5x2 mm and Horizon seems to be the absolutely ONLY company to use these .,.., there are a gazillion alternative bearings in 2x5x2.5 mm, but practically NOTHING in 2mm - so why did they pick this size if not just purely to force people to buy their "proprietary" bearings and deprive them of alternatives ??
I've wasted a gazillion hours searching the internet for cheap(ish) bearings with a 1mm internal bore. I can find 1.5x4x2 and 2x5x2 by the bag load, but not 1 x anything (cheap anyway). So I disagree that 2x5x2 are hard to find. Harder than 2x5x2.5 yes, but available none the less.

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=BLH3315
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=19409

The 130x blade grips also use 2x5x2 bearings, so get yourself a set of 130x blade grips and you've got yourself a four pack right there.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:38 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
A brushed motor is sufficient for the job, while being cheap enough to keep the total product cost in the sweet spot... crossing the $50 and $100 boundaries is a problem for marketing. So, if you can squeeze in under $150, you'll sell a lot more product than if it costs $151. A brushless motor would have pushed this product over the $150 boundary, and the performance of the machine is FINE with the brushed motor. Most people will be happy with it the way it is, which has been proven time and again with every micro helicopter they sell. Why mess with a proven thing?
I agree a brushed motor is sufficient for the job. But I don't believe it's cheaper. Back when micro helis started hitting the market, yes, but not now.

The only reason these brushed motors are still cheap is because there was a whole industry turning them out by the millions for other uses (pager motors, small toys) before they were used in micro-helis. A pager motor doesn't get much heavy use, and there's nothing to be gained by adding the cost of a brushless controller to pager applications. But Brushed motors have more parts and are costlier to manufacture. They're only winning the race because of high volume. A brushless motor can be manufactured cheaper, even in lower volumes. A brushless controller can also be built into the 5-in-1 design with an added cost of less than a dollar in additional fets.

For a volume manufacturer like HH they could design and manufacture a brushless nano that would in fact cost 'less' then the current brushed design. It's only a matter of time until the industry moves in this direction and then nothing we fly will be brushed anymore. No conspiracy, just an industry slowly adapting to change.

As for longevity, I was happy with my mSR brushed motors, I was happy with my mCPx brushed motors. Then came the mSRx and I've gone through 4 motors and in all cases the commutator either broke apart or the brushes wore grooves right through them. They were/are definitely 'not' sufficient for the job and now I've lost respect for brushed motors and their dirty sparking contacts. I want to build scale fuselages around my helis, and I don't want have to go digging in there to replace a burnt out brushed motor (again).

HH could launch a revolution if they would just manufactured an alternate 5-in-1 board with a brushless main motor controller. Think of all the brushless options that suddenly appear if you could just swap your 5-in-1, plug and go. They could reap the after market sales of 5-in-1s without even having to get their hands dirty in motor conversions.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 03:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
You mean like this?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...c-SPMAS6410NBL

It would be cool to have a helicopter version of that.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:08 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
You mean like this?

I bet they will someday

So on my brushless journey today when time is avalable i tinkered here and there.
I noticed a few things that are worthy of mention for those who want to do the conversion as well.

First off you need a 7mm wide washer by 2mm thick. I did not have my own so I made one out of plastic tubing using two washers for the proper thickness and to get a straight edge on boh sides of the tubing since I had a roll of it.

Second and most worthy of mention, IMO and to make things simple there is no need to buy a spare shaft nor disassemble and modify the hp03s motor with a donor motor

I was sitting here ready to make new shafts when i noticed I only needed a little more legnth that the stock motor already has. I simply tapped down the stock shaft 1mm which gave me the proper distance to install the pinion. After verification that this indeed would work i pull the shaft and CA'd the shaft in its new position
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:16 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,390 Posts
Quote:
You mean like this?

Ya, exactly like that (well, in a heli 5-in-1 equivalent).

The only thing that's missing is a ESC for the tail motor. You could combine that board with
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ro_Motors.html
for the tail motor (stripping down all the excess wiring).

I bet you could find an AS3X configuration and servo/board orientation that would work in either the nano or mcpx. It might need some special mixing in the transmitter to pull it off (maybe not?). It's even $10 cheaper than an mCPx 5-in-1 and you'd even get an extra channel 'just for fun'. Score!

Who's going to be the first to put this board in a heli?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:20 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post

Who's going to be the first to put this board in a heli?
Even if you go brushless tail, how will you control the tail if there is no signal output from the board for it? Might work with a shaft drive though
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:47 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Even if you go brushless tail, how will you control the tail if there is no signal output from the board for it? Might work with a shaft drive though
No no, keep the original brushed tail (I mean go brushless on the tail if you want, but there's no reason to). The Hobbyking link I included was a 'brushed' ESC. Not much more than a chip if you chop the wires and take it down to the bare board.

You would use one of the servo outputs (it's got 5 plus the brushless ESC) from the board -> 'brushed' ESC -> stock tail motor.

I expect you'd configure the tail motor off the normally designated rudder channel. Maybe with some mixing in the transmitter to also adjust the tail motor (rudder) with motor/pitch. Or maybe the AS3X would just take care of it.

Aileron and Elevator 'might' operate as normal, maybe in a V-tail configuration? I don't know how pitch mixing would be setup. I guess it depends on how many configuration options there are for the AR6410NBL board. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere before there are many different ways the AS3X gyros can be tied into the servo controls. It has 5 'free' channels after all, so HH probably thought of all kinds of combinations and mixing (flaps?). There might even be a configuration built in that's just primed for use in a heli.

The board might have to be positioned horizontally to get the correct orientation, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, especially if you're trying to wrap a scale fuselage around it.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:07 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
I guess if it worked it would be a crazy powerhouse on 2s More worth while if it does indeed work for trial on a mcpx instead.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:08 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,390 Posts
Dang! I just noticed that the SPMAS6410NBL is listed as 2S power source. I can't find a similar receiver with a 1S rating
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:02 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Well i had a bit more time and since i plan to adjust my esc often I made a plug in play BLHeli power and signal adapter for straight hookup to the xp3A esc and the BLHeli usb stick.
RCG Plus Member