HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:20 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I just got all my brushless goodies in..what pinion did you use?
I was going to go with an 8 tooth and the hp03s and keep it at 1.5m shaft.(i am hard on 1mm shafts) I looked at my collection of c05s for a conversion but i want the best of both worlds right now..power and flight times
I chose to keep the stock 7t to see how good it flew before I start changing combinations. The one thing that might be a problem going 1.5mm is there might not be much meat left on the pinion to keep it from spinning off (even with loctite). Worth a try though. I think the C05 might give the same flight times since that motor was always pretty efficient in my MCP's and MiniCP's. I might have to go with 8t with that one. Going to give a try and see what happens.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:21 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
People want to upgrade the LG on these things? Darn, I've crashed mine more times than I can count and haven't even come close to breaking the landing gear (or anything, really). Not to mention the landing gear is such flexible plastic, and replacement cost is dirt cheap. Am I missing something?

Picked up three more of the oem batteries at the LHS today. For $5 i might as well. The heli has so much more juice with these over the 130mah 25c turnigy's i have for my msr/sukhoi xp.

I also can't wait to upgrade this thing to BL... For $60ish you can't go wrong, will be a ton of fun and def. worth it.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:25 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I chose to keep the stock 7t to see how good it flew before I start changing combinations. The one thing that might be a problem going 1.5mm is there might not be much meat left on the pinion to keep it from spinning off (even with loctite). Worth a try though. I think the C05 might give the same flight times since that motor was always pretty efficient in my MCP's and MiniCP's. I might have to go with 8t with that one. Going to give a try and see what happens.
Yeah i noticed missed that when i read your first post

On the 8 tooth you can buy 8T m.3 with slip fit for 1,5mm
http://www.topcopter.com/mCP-X-Slip-Fit-Pinion-p/34.htm
I have drilled a few pinions out myself but without a drill press it has been a bit of a PITA

Let us know about the co5..always loved that motor just thought it might take a bit too much uumph. I have a hole pile of them here too so if it works ill convert my other one to c05m instead of keeping it stock as planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer111 View Post
People want to upgrade the LG on these things? Darn, I've crashed mine more times than I can count and haven't even come close to breaking the landing gear (or anything, really). Not to mention the landing gear is such flexible plastic, and replacement cost is dirt cheap. Am I missing something?

Picked up three more of the oem batteries at the LHS today. For $5 i might as well. The heli has so much more juice with these over the 130mah 25c turnigy's i have for my msr/sukhoi xp.

I also can't wait to upgrade this thing to BL... For $60ish you can't go wrong, will be a ton of fun and def. worth it.
I broken mine but hot glued them and since they have been good. I eat the heli out of mine though..harder than most. I think the real stresser was at my office and all the pavement drops..
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:41 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
There's the offshoot project that uses the AVR USB programming stick that many of us hobbyist already have. i.e. the USB stick for programming the Turnigy 9x radio.

Here's the project website:
http://www.olliw.eu/2012/owsilprog/
The HeliFreak page that started it:
http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=432282

My BLHeli toolstick mod:
http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/05/sil...heli-flashing/

Physical set up, ready for flashing:
http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/06/blheli-flashing-setup/
Yup but for those of us who dont you can get the BLHeli flash usb for cheaper than the tool stick itself pre conversion I almost converted my own (found your awesome site sometime ago) but I couldnt find the stick for less than $19
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:50 PM
Joined Oct 2008
309 Posts
Quote:
The hz champ is a perfect first plane. I just got my son one a few weeks ago and kids catch on real fast. It is super durable too if you fly over grass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNWuc...3&feature=plcp

That is weird...both of mine were bnf versions and neither required anything other than a standard bind with the button. I also just tried binding via the software when I pick a model and that didnt require any stick command either

My guess would be that all come preset with the heli doing the curves and some of the bnf helis they forgot to switch over
I missed the right rudder step when binding to my dx6i and it veered left and to the rear on takeoff and was hard to get under control. I rebound it properly and now is like a different heli. It lifts properly to a stable hover and is way more controlable like my mcpx, mqx, msrx and 130x.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:01 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Stupid ncpx... it gave me the bug again

About to pull the trigger on a 450x. Also bought a new truggy roller, aw man.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
Quote:
Yup but for those of us who dont you can get the BLHeli flash usb for cheaper than the tool stick itself pre conversion I almost converted my own (found your awesome site sometime ago) but I couldnt find the stick for less than $19
Ah, those were the early days of BLHeli. LOL It wasn't that long ago either. I just saw the toolstick offered by Dylan. Sweet! That's the way to go.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:10 PM
Fly more, bitch less.
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2010
366 Posts
Quote:

lol It's a sickness. Thought I was done too then this little bugger comes along. Then got me a 1/18 truck a couple of days after. It's a sickness im tellin ya!
noobiznessflying is offline Find More Posts by noobiznessflying
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:28 PM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb View Post
My son is 8, I had him flying the simulator and micros about a year ago. He did very well with his Micro Parkzone Cub, but we couldn't find the right size larger plane. We buddy boxed on a large glow powered plane for awhile, but he likes to fly by himself. The Stratos is very nice for learning on, check the thread out.
I will, thanks for the info. i let play with rf 3.5 but he gets bored with it. He said if i let him fly my H9 B-25 he wouldn't get bored. Ha! Umm no son....
BigGuyJT is offline Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:30 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
Quote:
I broken mine but hot glued them and since they have been good. I eat the heli out of mine though..harder than most. I think the real stresser was at my office and all the pavement drops..
Did you hot glue before you broke them or after. Thanks

Giovanni
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
How do you order one?
Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
This is from a few days ago - the point I've got to reading through this thread - have scanned the rest ad don't think it's been answered properly, so I thought I'd clarify things...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Edit:
forgot to mention: this is the "booster":
http://www.freakware.de/shop/artikel..._artikel=54449

You have got to be kidding me $45 bucks for a parallel hook up.....and I thought a $6 feathering shaft was ridiculous.
Actually it's not a parallel hookup. It uses two 1s lipos in series, so the input is 8.40 volts, and a voltage regulator to bring this down to 4.20 volt, which then is supplied to the receiver. The advantage seems that you will have full power throughout the full flight, and not just the first minute. With a single cell the voltage under load will sag below that 4.20 volts easily and even further as you fly longer. With 2 cells parallel the voltage sag will be less, but stil there. With this "booster" the voltage will remain 4.20 volts, until the lipos are drained.

One drawback though, you can't trust your LVC with this, because the output voltage of the booster will only start to drop when the 2S battery, you make with the two 1s standard lipos, have dropped so low that the voltage regulator can't produce a steady 4.20 volts any more. By then your lipos are on their way to lipo heaven, or hell.
ahha.. well still the only difference in construction is a wire cross and a diode. Similar to how you drop an ar6400 brick 2s brushless conversion down to 4.2v for power supplied to the board.

Basically if you dont rely on the circuit board to hold the batteries to the heli you could do a simple series wire adapter with a diode on the lead right before it feeds into the rx and it would do the same thing. If this is something you wanted you could buy a double battery holder like Dylan sells, or make one and a buck or two in parts from HK, Radio shack, or digi-key and have a "booster"
Except it's a lot more sophisticated than a couple of batteries wired together with a diode, as should be clear if you look at the pics, and even more so if you read the text - Google does a fine job of translating:
"During development of the booster has been taken to achieve the highest possible efficiency in order not to waste energy unnecessarily (flight time).
The booster is a simple low voltage indication that a red LED indicates the lower voltage limit of the batteries as soon as they flicker already slightly begins should landed immediately be. Additionally switches the converter upon further below the battery voltage to the output from hard."

What you have there isn't an inefficient diode drop - which will waste almost half the power in you batteries, and won't achieve anything like the quoted 7+ minute flight times - it's an efficient switch mode buck converter which will be ~90% efficient. That's along with a low voltage warning and a low voltage cutoff for the batteries plugged in, so that you're not relying on the one in the heli (which as pointed out won't work properly with this booster), and won't destroy the batteries even if you forget to time the flight. Not at all something anybody could make - I have made things like this, and off the top of my head, the parts alone when bought in small quantities would be ~$25, so not really that expensive at all for what it is. I'm sure if I was interested I could make my own, and maybe even make enough for it to be worth my while selling at $35 (given my low hobbyist overheads), but I doubt there's the demand for me to bother.
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Been flying my 450X since March. You're going to love it.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
My second one is shot...keeps blinking won't bind and before that it would just power down..bummer

J

mine too, sent back today
rick442 is offline Find More Posts by rick442
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Deleted
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs