HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have been running them on the blade grips and even with a bent spindle no tbe.. But I do get wobbles now and again. I really need a new feathering shaft for my beater but i wont have more until Tuesday.
Hmm, while hovering inverted mine was drifting around quite a bit could not get it to stay in one spot. It would shoot to the left and then the right a lot like the TBE I remember from coaxials. I took them off and its much more stable.

Whats the matter, no local hobby shops near you with nano parts in stock?
The one by me has a pretty good supply now.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:37 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
watch out for fuzz on the tail motor shaft. it does not take much to screw things up.
buying a set of these skids
http://www.micro-flight.com/BLADE-MSR.htm
NOOOOoooo!
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:30 AM
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReadTheFunkyManual!

Lol, I'm saying this in self critique

I bought the RTF version just for having an extra full range TX for family/ friends/ buddy boxing for a mere Ä15.

What I didn't realize is that the 3-in-1 can be bound in 'computer' and '4-channel' way... In the non-computer manner, somehow the pitch curve follows the throttle curve, hence when went from normal to stunt mode, the heli rocketed off in full throttle + full positive pitch and I never found it again!!!! Ok, not true, I was (luckily) inside, but had I been outside, it could have ended up in the next county

So for the record, if the heli was previously bound to a non-computer radio, you have to push the rudder to FULL LEFT RIGHT right after you release the bind button. And vice versa...

Btw. it's incredibly stable in normal mode, much more stable than the mCP-x IMO. I didn't see this coming. The blades are nice and flexible, very interior/ spectator safe, but probably still not good for your LCD!

The batteries seem to be the Achilles heel, still breaking them in, but having really 'fit' batteries will be a necessity.
McMoron is offline Find More Posts by McMoron
Last edited by McMoron; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:05 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoron View Post
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReadTheFunkyManual!

I bought the RTF version just for having an extra full range TX for family/ friends/ buddy boxing for a mere Ä15.

What I didn't realize is that the 3-in-1 can be bound in 'computer' and '4-channel' way... In the non-computer manner, somehow the pitch curve follows the throttle curve, hence when went from normal to stunt mode, the heli rocketed off in full throttle + full positive pitch and I never found it again!!!! Ok, not true, I was (luckily) inside, but had I been outside, it could have ended up in the next county

So for the record, if the heli was previously bound to a non-computer radio, you have to push the rudder to FULL LEFT RIGHT (see post#908!) right after you release the bind button. And vice versa...

Btw. it's incredibly stable in normal mode, much more stable than the mCP-x IMO. I didn't see this coming. The blades are nice and flexible, very interior/ spectator safe, but probably still not good for your LCD!

The batteries seem to be the Achilles heel, still breaking them in, but having really 'fit' batteries will be a necessity.
so where is the big dill ?? just adjust the skids and fly it with some light mCPX batteries ... cant be that complicated (I will try this as soon as I get the parts in ... [which are already on order ... ...])
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by erdnuckel2; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:36 AM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Quote:
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReadTheFunkyManual!

So for the record, if the heli was previously bound to a non-computer radio, you have to push the rudder to FULL LEFT right after you release the bind button. And vice versa...

Yup, I'm right there with ya. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, until I brought out the manual and started to read... (shhh!)

Although it wasn't until a couple days later that I figured out I needed to change the pitch travel to 100% (was using a copied mCP-x profile)

I had some time to get quit a few flights in on the nCPX this weekend, and wow... this really is just what I needed. I think I'll finally be able to progress in my heli flying abilities since I can finally fly indoors without having to constantly do repairs.

I had crashed it repeatedly, and I've yet to break anything!

I can't wait to go brushless. Fun times !
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
so where is the big dill ?? just adjust the skids and fly it with some light mCPX batteries ... cant be that complicated (I will try this as soon as I get the parts in ... [which are already on order ... ...])
Dunno yet. Not as clear cut as I thought initially. Even the lightest mCPx battery I know of (TP .24Ah 6.7g) adds almost 8-9% to the AUW. Punching the left stick, the tail is actually quite well behaved, even when the head speed quite audibly drops.

Will be interesting what the brushless geeks (meant as a compliment ) can come up with, but as it is right now, good quality UM batteries might be the ticket.

For non-acro suff, even my insanely old Turnigys are going fine.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,610 Posts
Quote:
Dunno yet. Not as clear cut as I thought initially. Even the lightest mCPx battery I know of (TP .24Ah 6.7g) adds almost 8-9% to the AUW. Punching the left stick, the tail is actually quite well behaved, even when the head speed quite audibly drops.

Will be interesting what the brushless geeks (meant as a compliment ) can come up with, but as it is right now, good quality UM batteries might be the ticket.

For non-acro suff, even my insanely old Turnigys are going fine.
well, looks like I wont need the mod then ... as I am (still .... and it has to be expected for a loooong time to stay this way) TOTALLY non acro ... (but I will do it anyway, just for the sake of doing it ...)

Agree, it will be very interesting to see what happens in the BL department ... (in Switzerland they already built a full BL version (main AND tail)

And as for the battery, if you intend to stay with UM, there is still the miniaviation option ... 190mah/25C/4.85g ...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
Yikes! Sorry lads, but you've quoted my stupidity, it should read "FULL RIGHT" in my post (which I have edited already). Please edit it in the quoted text as well.

Sry
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemi View Post
I had some time to get quit a few flights in on the nCPX this weekend, and wow... this really is just what I needed. I think I'll finally be able to progress in my heli flying abilities since I can finally fly indoors without having to constantly do repairs.

I had crashed it repeatedly, and I've yet to break anything!
The durability of my mCX, mSR, Tandem, and even the mCPx is quite outstanding, but this Nano falla' is just out of space for a CP! I've lengthened the throttle hold switch with 3 layers of heatshrink, and as long as I kill the motor within a second, there's hardly anything that can go wrong. Actually, killing the motor a fraction of a second before it hits something hard, is pretty neat. The bird drops almost instantly to the ground, and since there's hardly any mass, it's almost impossible to damage!

Quote:
well, looks like I wont need the mod then ... as I am (still .... and it has to be expected for a loooong time to stay this way) TOTALLY non acro ... (but I will do it anyway, just for the sake of doing it ...)
I'm rocking in the same boat, never done acro before, but with this bird I will try it soon, but outdoors only first... But even for mild stuff, rolls, loops, inverted, the stock batteries/ available UM batteries are more than adequate. For the hard core dudes, cyclic management will be the name of the game, but that's still a ridiculously small price to pay to fly a CP under the table

Quote:
Agree, it will be very interesting to see what happens in the BL department ... (in Switzerland they already built a full BL version (main AND tail)

And as for the battery, if you intend to stay with UM, there is still the miniaviation option ... 190mah/25C/4.85g ...
I saw that post, looks nice, but I'm not sure higher head speed is what the typical Nano pilot needs. A governor function would be nice for everyone, but the whole point in the Nano is to have as little inertia in the blades as possible. The BL mods of the mCPx moved it up almost one class IMO, I'm not sure that's what I want with the Nano.

Yes, the Miniavis look great, if anyone tests them in the future, please post it in this thread.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,610 Posts
Quote:
The durability of my mCX, mSR, Tandem, and even the mCPx is quite outstanding, but this Nano falla' is just out of space for a CP! I've lengthened the throttle hold switch with 3 layers of heatshrink, and as long as I kill the motor within a second, there's hardly anything that can go wrong. Actually, killing the motor a fraction of a second before it hits something hard, is pretty neat. The bird drops almost instantly to the ground, and since there's hardly any mass, it's almost impossible to damage!

I'm rocking in the same boat, never done acro before, but with this bird I will try it soon, but outdoors only first... But even for mild stuff, rolls, loops, inverted, the stock batteries/ available UM batteries are more than adequate. For the hard core dudes, cyclic management will be the name of the game, but that's still a ridiculously small price to pay to fly a CP under the table

I saw that post, looks nice, but I'm not sure higher head speed is what the typical Nano pilot needs. A governor function would be nice for everyone, but the whole point in the Nano is to have as little inertia in the blades as possible. The BL mods of the mCPx moved it up almost one class IMO, I'm not sure that's what I want with the Nano.

Yes, the Miniavis look great, if anyone tests them in the future, please post it in this thread.
I could test them tonight (if my nano is waiting for me as I expect ...) BUT, I am soooo totally not the pilot/person to voice an opinion let alone make any kind of judgement about ANYTHING related to a CP heli - for that I am waaaay too inexperienced/unskilled
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:32 AM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
191 Posts
Got my first nano on thursday it was a bad un out of the box severe tail wag and no matter what i did it would not hover! kind of like tbe on the old msr.
My LHS replaced it this morning and all is good with the new one.
Always takes my 2 helis to get a good one it seems with blade.
Right no more moaning, this heli rocks! stock batteries are the way to go, i have some miniaviation 190s they are good but a little heavy imo makes the motor bog more doing 3d.
So i picked up some 130mah 25c lipos from LHS, lighter is better i think especially for doing 3d, still get 4mins in idle up doing flips and rolls!
I won't be getting rid of my mcpx though as it needs calmish weather to fly outside well.
Overall though very happy with it, Gonna try some 3d inside later which is what this bird is designed for!!
cheers simon
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:33 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, those look pretty good. I just ordered a five pack and being international postage and customs, it will probably take a while in getting them.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, MA, Rutland
Joined Oct 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Yeah, those look pretty good. I just ordered a five pack and being international postage and customs, it will probably take a while in getting them.

Bob
Got mine in about a week.
ScottGridley is offline Find More Posts by ScottGridley
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:08 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottGridley View Post
Got mine in about a week.
Cool, how do you like them?
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
Quote:
I could test them tonight (if my nano is waiting for me as I expect ...) BUT, I am soooo totally not the pilot/person to voice an opinion let alone make any kind of judgement about ANYTHING related to a CP heli - for that I am waaaay too inexperienced/unskilled
Usually, I test them by plotting the voltage during a discharge. Far from ideal, since my charger can only discharge at 1Amp. Alternatively, measuring headspeed or simply by pumping the stick gives you an idea about how much the motor bugs down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygeneration View Post
i have some miniaviation 190s they are good but a little heavy imo makes the motor bog more doing 3d.
On paper, these should add no more than 2.9% AUW, but the question is of course whether this penalty is offset by a power increase. Since the tail seems rock solid (not starved even at full cyclic motion), it might not be the case! Maybe the stock battery does feed ample current to the motors. In this case going lighter with higher C-rating (real C-rating) really is the trick.
[/QUOTE]