SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2005
57 Posts
Tail vibration, tail wags or blows out suddenly. I had some tail vibration in mine from the start. I put some lube in all bearings and tightened the feathering shaft as it was very loose. I used some tri-flow to flood both main bearings and soaked up the excess with a peice of paper towel after a couple of flights. The lower bearing had some black residue when I soaked up the excess so flooded it again until it came out clean. This cured the vibration and it worked fine for about 20 more flights. Started the vibration and blow outs again but flooding didn't help. I pulled the main shaft and found the bearings were very ruff. They are 2x5x2mm so checked my bearing supply but had none. I found the Boca 130X set I got for my 130X and it came with 4 blade grip bearings. They are 2x5x2mm so used 2 of them. Now flies smooth as butter with more power then when new. I think the stock bearings aren't very good and may be why some people are getting tail vibration from the start. Pull the main gear down and see if your rotor turns smooth to a slow stop. Any jerky stops and the bearing are bad.
RMSlinkers is offline Find More Posts by RMSlinkers
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiznessflying View Post
lucky him they're sending him parts. i was told to send my whole nano back. now im playin the waitin' game. sucks big time but as long as I get a working heli back its all good.
You should just buy a new one and send the old one back and demand a refund. That way you don't have to wait.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:59 AM
Because I was inverted…
Raleigh, N.C.
Joined Dec 2003
18 Posts
Loving my nano. Finally, just what I always wanted for over 20 years now (minus an airwolf fuse), back when I had to settle for getting the "small" Kyosho 30 DX.

Is this thing small and light enough to where a direct drive brushless setup would work?
KydDynoMyte is offline Find More Posts by KydDynoMyte
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grovey View Post
Yeah, what was wrong with your board? I had been experiencing binding issues, and weird glitching.

I managed to bind again so will see how it goes.
Don't know, just kinda went crazy then stop working. Not sure if it is the board or motor or both. So when I get both parts I will install them. I think I will wait a little longer between flights because I was doing eight flights at a time back to back plus some of my old batteries stop working in this bird. I really do love this little guy a lot and hopefully will pick up another on Monday. Can't stand being without it.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:40 PM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Are there any better throttle and pitch curves than what is in the manual for 3d?

Also, what are people finding to be the most broken parts? I'd like to keep some stuff on hand.

Thanks
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Last edited by quadracer111; Sep 28, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:50 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Feathering shaft is the only part I really need to keep stock of since i changed the boom to solid 2mm carbon.

A linear pitch curve and flat throttle for idle up is great for 3d. If it is too twitchy for your liking around midstick add some expo to the curve
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Sep 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
HH Blues Baby... Since June of this year... 1 defective Polecat... 2 Defective Beast 3D in a row... 1 Defective MiG15... and now my Nano has severe tail wag. It is butter smooth with no vibration, the tail just wags back and forth between 1 - 2 inches

I can hear the tail motor pulsing, so I guess it is either a bad tail motor (can't maintain rpms) or a bad board

Really sux because I can tell even with the tail wag it's gonna be a lot better than the mcpx 2...
Mine wasn't wagging with the sport blades but when I switched to the bullets it has the exact same wag you describe. I did lube it and put a new tail blade on it in between, haven't had time to monkey with it but since it wasn't doing it before perhaps it's fixable... I'll post if I make any progress.

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I don't know squat about electronics, when I get my new motor installed, and try it with my old board and the old board is bad, will that hurt my new motor or should I just replace both at the same time?

Bob
NO, if the board is bad, the worst that can happen is the full voltage of the battery is sent to the motor, which is the same thing as being at full throttle. So, while a busted motor can melt the board, a busted board can't really melt the motor.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
Is getting old...
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Feathering shaft is the only part I really need to keep stock of since i changed the boom to solid 2mm carbon.

A linear pitch curve and flat throttle for idle up is great for 3d. If it is too twitchy for your liking around midstick add some expo to the curve
I'm running no expo and no dr. Linear pitch curve and a flat curve. Flies great, thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Really sweet flying!

Bob
Thanks, some close calls and a bit all over the place. it's a lot sketchier trying in a tight space. I think indoorheli has a video of his mcpx doing loops in the bathroom.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:44 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,821 Posts
Just passed 50 flights on mine and the tail motor is on it's way out. Probably just the brushes jammed up or worn out, but it takes a flick with the finger to get it started up. Didnt wanna risk it shorting out the board, so just soldered on a MCX2 CCW motor and it's back up and running great.

The only part on mine thats well worn is the feathering shaft...LOL, but for inside 3D, besides the nasty blade tracking and slight shakes, it still does ok. This bird is tuff! No sense in really replacing the feathering shaft since the next one will take one hit on the fridge and look the same.

Blade scrapes across the hardwood floor are just addicting, as is inverted ceiling landings
If you dont have one of these and are on the fence about it, your wasting valuable smile time.

I havent hit the throttle hold in years, because with the larger helis, goin in with throttle hold verse trying to correct both do a lot of damage, so usually i go for altitude and correct when it's up hi and safe. With this thing in the house, throttle hold, smack the counter, pick it up and off she goes! Unbelievable.

If you know how to fly, this thing is an indoor dream, if you are just learning, it is a forgiving indoor trainer. I cant really say anything bad about this little guy. I cant see anybody not enjoying this heli.
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeppley View Post
If you know how to fly, this thing is an indoor dream, if you are just learning, it is a forgiving indoor trainer. I cant really say anything bad about this little guy. I cant see anybody not enjoying this heli.
There is only one thing I can say that's bad so far about this heli ... THEY SHOULDA COME OUT WITH IT YEARS AGO

It's everything I was hoping the 4G6, Genius CP and mCPX would be and more, I mean seriously inverted flying if my office, crash it against light fixture and literally just put it right back up in the air?

Yo pinch me cause this is crazy! Practice anything you want and don't really worry about crashes on a CP??? WTH
queadlunnrau is online now Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:49 PM
Is getting old...
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Just passed 50 flights on mine and the tail motor is on it's way out. Probably just the brushes jammed up or worn out, but it takes a flick with the finger to get it started up. Didnt wanna risk it shorting out the board, so just soldered on a MCX2 CCW motor and it's back up and running great.

The only part on mine thats well worn is the feathering shaft...LOL, but for inside 3D, besides the nasty blade tracking and slight shakes, it still does ok. This bird is tuff! No sense in really replacing the feathering shaft since the next one will take one hit on the fridge and look the same.

Blade scrapes across the hardwood floor are just addicting, as is inverted ceiling landings
If you dont have one of these and are on the fence about it, your wasting valuable smile time.

I havent hit the throttle hold in years, because with the larger helis, goin in with throttle hold verse trying to correct both do a lot of damage, so usually i go for altitude and correct when it's up hi and safe. With this thing in the house, throttle hold, smack the counter, pick it up and off she goes! Unbelievable.

I agree! This thing is amazing. First CP heli (well, I did have a 450 but I was too scared to do anything with it other than hover). Within the third pack I was doing loops, rolls, and inverted hovering (hunderds, and hundreds of hours of sim time might have something to do with it). Nothing be afarid to break it does wonders for progress!
Old Sep 28, 2012, 01:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
NO, if the board is bad, the worst that can happen is the full voltage of the battery is sent to the motor, which is the same thing as being at full throttle. So, while a busted motor can melt the board, a busted board can't really melt the motor.
Thanks Jasmine, I appreciate the feed back. I will first install the new motor with the old board. If I am lucky and the board is good, then I am ahead of the game. Going to get another one on Monday. Just too much fun. Also, if it starts acting funny again, I will just replace the motor in hopes of saving my main board.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Thanks, some close calls and a bit all over the place. it's a lot sketchier trying in a tight space. I think indoorheli has a video of his mcpx doing loops in the bathroom.
I must have missed your vid nice flying quick reactions Yeah it was me with the bathroom vid..being silly. I thought I had a huge learning curve with the mcpx and that is nothing compared to what the nano has already taught me

Quote:
Just an FYI you can use either mcx motor if one works, just reverse the polarity
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed