HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
I went to the field to fly my Nano today and the first flight went great. Next three flights were cut short as the motor would go dead in flight. Put it on the ground and as it started to spool up just before lift off it would go dead. Tried five different batteries and the same thing kept happening. Took it home and looked over and put a fresh battery in it and it tried to spool up a couple of times and then would go dead just before lift off. On the third attempt the blue light came on but was flashing. I tried to rebind several times but no luck. Called HH and had me disconnect the motor to see if it would bind. Still no go. HH thinks it could be a bad motor or main board, so they are sending me both. Love their service!

Bob
I had this problem when using some older batteries. I hope this thing will not be needing new batteries all the time but the only ones that work for me right now are the two that came with it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:13 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I had this problem when using some older batteries. I hope this thing will not be needing new batteries all the time but the only ones that work for me right now are the two that came with it.
I have some very old very bad batteries that I use when my son flys the champ. They fly the nano without blackout but of course lacking power and flight time....and really they are bad.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I have some very old very bad batteries that I use when my son flys the champ. They fly the nano without blackout but of course lacking power and flight time....and really they are bad.
My batteries must be really bad then - they still fly the plane just fine, and the mSR, but they are 150mAh Hyperion batteries, and the Nano just cuts out as soon as you put the pitch to it. Sometimes it will act like it's about to take off, but it just wobbles around. Funny thing is, I tried those first, while I was making my review video, and I thought... "wow, maybe this is the first broken Blade I've ever bought" but it was just the batteries, it flies great on the new ones. I fully expected a slightly used Hyperion 150 would be better than a new E-flite 160, but I guess not
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:24 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
I disagree on the more maintenance from what i have had. Before i converted the first one I thought it would for sure be more damage in a crash..but I never saw that. I think my last two brushless mcpx's both had less maintenance then stock. Not only that they flew better and the tail handled better. Even with batteries that were going down I could flip fairly easily. Neither were harder on home furnishing than the stock brushed and the bathroom vid i had posted way back was even brushless.
Hmm, I had trouble with ESC's and motors... Then frames busting.. so had to get MH frame.. Then blade grips busting.. had to get MH grips.. then Swash.. on and on.. by the time my brushless mcpx was solid I had dumped well over $300.00 more dollars into it.

Then there were the 4#3, A,B conversions and the troubles that went along with those..

Once you get them dialed in right and don't have esc or other electronics issues I could agree that they are reliable. But getting there was always a money pit for me and lots of aftermarket parts and mods.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Last edited by sideburn; Sep 27, 2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Not a fan of brushed motors...never have been.

Bob
Me neither.. But if these are anything like the msr, they should last pretty long.
I did lose a tail motor already but it was because the bushing broke not because it died out.

I agree brushless is nice I just dont want it to be overpowered for indoors. maybe an hp05 equivilent or something. I will wait it out and see what people come up with and see how long these motors last. I just dont want to have to get the dremil tool, soldering iron etc out everytime i need to replace the frame or something.

if these motors last a long time then I think I'll stick with it they way it is. simple to repair/replace parts.

So far the only time i feel I need more power is when doing tictocs. And I bet a lot of it is just my skills arent good enough to manage the sticks well enough to keep it from bogging.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:38 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Me neither.. But if these are anything like the msr, they should last pretty long.
I did lose a tail motor already but it was because the bushing broke not because it died out.

I agree brushless is nice I just dont want it to be overpowered for indoors. maybe an hp05 equivilent or something. I will wait it out and see what people come up with and see how long these motors last. I just dont want to have to get the dremil tool, soldering iron etc out everytime i need to replace the frame or something.

if these motors last a long time then I think I'll stick with it they way it is. simple to repair/replace parts.

So far the only time i feel I need more power is when doing tictocs. And I bet a lot of it is just my skills arent good enough to manage the sticks well enough to keep it from bogging.
I hear you but I don't know if my motor went out or the board. I think Dylan put an 03 in one...not sure. But when he gets a package together, I am going for it and then I will buy another Nano and keep it stock.......for a while. lol All I know is I missed the heck out of my Nano, but I did get seven flights in on my 130x.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Last edited by Willyboy; Sep 27, 2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:42 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Quote:
Hmm, I had trouble with ESC's and motors... Then frames busting.. so had to get MH frame.. Then blade grips busting.. had to get MH grips.. then Swash.. on and on.. by the time my brushless mcpx was solid I had dumped well over $300.00 more dollars into it.

Then there were the 4#3, A,B conversions and the troubles that went along with those..

Once you get them dialed in right and don't have esc or other electronics issues I could agree that they are reliable. But getting there was always a money pit for me and lots of aftermarket parts and mods.

Wow yeah that would get spendy. I never had one issue with the brushless motors or esc's. The frame pins broke stock so after i started using epoxy pre-break they didnt break anymore..same went for the swash. Grips I dont think i ever had bust on me. I really did want a MH swash after I did a build for a friend
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Most of my batteries were old so I tossed a few of them. Tried the new ones that came with the heili but still a no go. The rep at HH told me if a motor starts going bad it can also damage the main board. When I get the new parts, I thought I might try installing the new motor first and try it with the old board. If it works, then I have a spare board for future reference. Anyway I am a little sad that my bird is down but so please with HH's service.

Bob
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Wow yeah that would get spendy. I never had one issue with the brushless motors or esc's. The frame pins broke stock so after i started using epoxy pre-break they didnt break anymore..same went for the swash. Grips I dont think i ever had bust on me. I really did want a MH swash after I did a build for a friend
i went through a couple xp7a's
teh had power loss issues that took forever to pin down..
swapped out escs..
nightmare..
turned out it was one of the wires on the stranded motor wires had a cold connectionthat you couldnt see.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
The rep at HH told me if a motor starts going bad it can also damage the main board.
Yes, that is true. If it has a short in it, then it could melt the board by pulling too much current, because the ESC only controls the voltage. If the ESC itself is failing, the same thing can happen - a brushed ESC can fail by either closing the circuit or opening it, permanently, and neither way is good but the first way can damage the board AND cause a safety problem because it basically causes the motor to go to full throttle and stay there. This problem periodically happens with the little planes too.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
I take it back my 130x has way more power than my nano! OMG I forgot.. My hands are still shaking.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that is true. If it has a short in it, then it could melt the board by pulling too much current, because the ESC only controls the voltage. If the ESC itself is failing, the same thing can happen - a brushed ESC can fail by either closing the circuit or opening it, permanently, and neither way is good but the first way can damage the board AND cause a safety problem because it basically causes the motor to go to full throttle and stay there. This problem periodically happens with the little planes too.
I don't know squat about electronics, when I get my new motor installed, and try it with my old board and the old board is bad, will that hurt my new motor or should I just replace both at the same time?

Bob
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,796 Posts
Quote:

on the astroid designs site is a motor that seems to be the one the guys in switzerland used (they did 16000kV + 3AESC for main and 8000kV + 3AESC for tail ... both were 3g motors)
Personally, the only reason why I would want this brushless is because you can fly totally without cool down (usually) and that would be what I am looking for ... flying as long as I want WITHOUT having to fret if the motors will survive it.
As I am a true newbie in CP, I definitely dont want brushless for more power ATM ... and I saw there is a 2g BL motor for tail which is described as being for a lower power solution on an mSRX ... maybe this would work for the nano?

Also, as far as the question about battery size is concerned, I think I figured out my personal solution (which will include using the mCPX batteries) - I am going to put this on my blog in about a week or so ... once I get the parts I ordered ...

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
If the 2 gram you are taliking about is the hp02 I dont think It will have enough power without the rewind. Myself I went with the 03 13500kv as I think the 16600 is probably a bit much.

I plan to do similar to Dylan and make a tube mount and use a 1.5mm drill bit for a longer shaft.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,832 Posts
I'm not much of a keep flying back to back type.. I dont mind waiting..

Have you guys the bullet blades? I never really used them before on any of my blade helis.
But I just tried a pack with bullets and without and I really can't tell much difference..
Maybe it is a little more stable and a little less jumpy. And maybe it feels a little heavier..
It sounds different, like the headspeed increased but I don't see how that could happen.

Can't decide which like better.

But 20-30 flights into this nano and my 3d skills have doubled. Most awesome heli.
I'm flipping and rolling this thing all over the place in all directions all in a tight space.
Took my 130x out and tossed it around like I never have before too