HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:32 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,909 Posts
This is a neat little heli and mine flies just fine. 8 flights with no problems but somehow it just does not light my fire like the larger machines. Mine has the grommets only on the servo to swash links as well.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
United States, OK, Ada
Joined Jun 2007
533 Posts
ooops, mine has grommets on the links from servo to swash - I'll have to check for others....

I haven't looked at the manual yet
rcflyair is offline Find More Posts by rcflyair
Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:46 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Well, I dont know enough about electronics to get in a big discussion about it - what I do know is I have not seen anything like this here, and it sure caters to people who dont want the hassle or have the skills (like me) to figure out how to do this on DIY. Furthermore I doubt this is just a "plain" parallel hookup - if it was, they would just solder two wires and a few plugs together ...

this is not something that gets sold tens of thousands of times like the heli, it had cost for R&D, the cost for rc stuff in germany is generally clearly higher than here ...

... in other words, I think you generalize and simplify this a bit too much.

Like I said I put it here, because I havent seen anything like it here in the US and thought maybe that is interesting for other people as well ...

Sorry that it seems not to be the case
Even if it isn’t a straight parallel it is pretty much the same effort into it and it is only my humble opinion that $45 is way too much...at least for out here when you can get parts to make that for a few dollars.

If some who like it would pay it and there is nothing wrong with that if it is something they want...and there is nothing wrong with making money from an item you came up with They do good work and there is no question about that, I was more just awestruck by the price when i did the conversion.

My though was If Dylan made it my bet is he would charge $15 or so. I understand that it isnt a mega sell item and it is produced in Germany but still the price seems very high..well at least to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Thanks, this is what I need to know. I wonder if you have ever had any incidences of damage to the receiver of the Mini CP? I have had recurrent trouble with it.
I epoxied the coil before it fell off and I had to resolder the power wires once. Other than that it worked well

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Actually it's not a parallel hookup. It uses two 1s lipos in series, so the input is 8.40 volts, and a voltage regulator to bring this down to 4.20 volt, which then is supplied to the receiver.
ahha.. well still the only difference in construction is a wire cross and a diode. Similar to how you drop an ar6400 brick 2s brushless conversion down to 4.2v for power supplied to the board.

Basically if you dont rely on the circuit board to hold the batteries to the heli you could do a simple series wire adapter with a diode on the lead right before it feeds into the rx and it would do the same thing. If this is something you wanted you could buy a double battery holder like Dylan sells, or make one and a buck or two in parts from HK, Radio shack, or digi-key and have a "booster"

While an interesting idea the weight alone makes it not an item I want. I will just convert one of mine to single brushless next week and run 220mAh or less. I am not looking to add more weight since i fly mainly in my house and office with these little guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
One of the main things I like about the nano is its great performance at low power and low head speed. You go brushless on it and it'll be another furniture damaging, TV scratching, blood drawing monster like the mcpx.

I don't get why people are saying this heli needs more power. I can't get the tail to blow out and I can do mild tictocs with it. It seems close in power to my stock 130x as is.
Everything could always use a little more power But really I am converting one for two fold...power and durability. Even when i add the brushless at 400-500 more kv my bet is it still wont hurt things in my house as it just wont have enough weight behind it. I am fast to throttle hold and it isnt going to hit something at 5k anyhow
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I asked the same thing over on the HeliFreak forum.

The manual shows grommets/o-rings...but mind didn't come with them on the blade grip like in the manual's diagram. Only at the swash to servo linkage.
I havent even looked at the manual but mine had nothing on the blade grips but had them on the servo to swash balls. I added grommets to the blade grips and it seems much better since
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:46 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post

Everything could always use a little more power But really I am converting one for two fold...power and durability. Even when i add the brushless at 400-500 more kv my bet is it still wont hurt things in my house as it just wont have enough weight behind it. I am fast to throttle hold and it isnt going to hit something at 5k anyhow
Once you go brushless the maintenance level increases. I find it kind of a pain to always have to work on them. More things on the heli will break with more power as well. I think I'm going to keep this one stock for a while.

I also need to sell some helis.. I start feeling wrong when I get past the 7 mark.
The problem is probably no one wants an msr or a belt cp anymore. Maybe I'll just go bash on the beltCP until it smashes to the ground into a million pieces

on the fence about selling the trex250.. Its never been crashed, like new.. because I never fly it ( because of the pain to work on after a crash factor).
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Gettin back into it!!
KY
Joined Apr 2002
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryoon View Post
i asked the same thing over on the helifreak forum.

The manual shows grommets/o-rings...but mind didn't come with them on the blade grip like in the manual's diagram. Only at the swash to servo linkage.
+1

Giovanni Day is offline Find More Posts by Giovanni Day
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Once you go brushless the maintenance level increases. I find it kind of a pain to always have to work on them. More things on the heli will break with more power as well. I think I'm going to keep this one stock for a while.

I also need to sell some helis.. I start feeling wrong when I get past the 7 mark.
The problem is probably no one wants an msr or a belt cp anymore. Maybe I'll just go bash on the beltCP until it smashes to the ground into a million pieces

on the fence about selling the trex250.. Its never been crashed, like new.. because I never fly it ( because of the pain to work on after a crash factor).
I disagree on the more maintenance from what i have had. Before i converted the first one I thought it would for sure be more damage in a crash..but I never saw that. I think my last two brushless mcpx's both had less maintenance then stock. Not only that they flew better and the tail handled better. Even with batteries that were going down I could flip fairly easily. Neither were harder on home furnishing than the stock brushed and the bathroom vid i had posted way back was even brushless.

My nano motors both tail and main are now loosing power after about 60 flights. Not too bad considering i was doing an endurance test with 3-6 batteries back to back every session. I will move on to nano #2 until my brushless stuff gets here. Though i might add a msr motor to tame it and let my son fly it around as he wasnt doing to bad with a msrx.

On the 7 heli's i hear yah! I buy and sell so much i try to keep below 5 but often i get ten or more. Right now I only have 8 but that is because i just bought two nano's and have a 450pro 3gx for sale. My biggest issue is usually i buy two of every heli. I have one for the office and one for home and one always still airworthy when one breaks
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 27, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:28 PM
United States, WA, Kent
Joined Sep 2001
718 Posts
Pitch Travel - 100%

I know IF I had read the manual, or paid attention here, I would have known this....

However, for any of you that were like me, and just copied your mCPX profile over to use with the nano -
Make sure to change your pitch travel to 100%.

I've been flying for a few days thinking that my motor was defective because it didn't have the power like everyone else's videos.

If all else fails...
joemi is offline Find More Posts by joemi
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Oct 2008
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I asked the same thing over on the HeliFreak forum.

Mine came with them installed and spairs in the bag direct from HH. the box had been opened and re taped closed. Mine pitches to the tail and left on takeoff, like it is tail heavy.
SeaDog-Chief is offline Find More Posts by SeaDog-Chief
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
I went to the field to fly my Nano today and the first flight went great. Next three flights were cut short as the motor would go dead in flight. Put it on the ground and as it started to spool up just before lift off it would go dead. Tried five different batteries and the same thing kept happening. Took it home and looked over and put a fresh battery in it and it tried to spool up a couple of times and then would go dead just before lift off. On the third attempt the blue light came on but was flashing. I tried to rebind several times but no luck. Called HH and had me disconnect the motor to see if it would bind. Still no go. HH thinks it could be a bad motor or main board, so they are sending me both. Love their service!

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
One of the main things I like about the nano is its great performance at low power and low head speed. You go brushless on it and it'll be another furniture damaging, TV scratching, blood drawing monster like the mcpx.

I don't get why people are saying this heli needs more power. I can't get the tail to blow out and I can do mild tictocs with it. It seems close in power to my stock 130x as is.

I don't see the point. I guess for outdoors maybe but I bought this mainly for indoors though. most of us have a 130x and brushless mcpx for outdoors, right? The last thing I need is another outdoors heli...

Even outdoors though. Mines got plenty of power.
Not a fan of brushed motors...never have been.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:29 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,927 Posts
I agree the "booster" is overpriced, but it seems like a nice idea, if you can make one yourself, and keep it light enough to benefit from the extra high voltage. Those motors have high kv, so even 0.3 or so extra voltage under load can make a good difference in headspeed.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
I just picked one up at the LHS. It was retaped too, hopefully its got what ever it needed... I have a bunch or reading to do (manual and this thread)!
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
United States, TX, Belton
Joined Sep 2009
138 Posts
Ok, after a few 'crashes' in tall grass I tried to fly and it was very jerky...pitch to the left, and up and down very erratically...sat down and looked at with out the canopy... I thought the left front servo was bad because it would move crazy like...up and down, then it would stop...then move, then stop...CRAP...bad servo......but wait...I looked at the plug where the servo plugs into the main board...it was pulled out, ever so slightly. Plugged it back in and...YAY! It works like new again!
So, if your servo(s) are acting weird...check to see if they came unplugged!
PKM_Heliman is offline Find More Posts by PKM_Heliman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
I agree the "booster" is overpriced, but it seems like a nice idea, if you can make one yourself, and keep it light enough to benefit from the extra high voltage. Those motors have high kv, so even 0.3 or so extra voltage under load can make a good difference in headspeed.
It would be easy enough to do but like i said earlier my main thing is keeping this heli light. Sure for something I fly more outside I wouldn't care as much and it would be worth while to make such a booster to attain more level KV through out pack burn....but just not for my current wants for this particular heli.

Though after thinking about this a little today I think I might try to do something similar with a 130x and see how it does. Though what would be really cool is to find out how to rewire a motor for a straight 4s130mAh conversion then a simple voltage drop down for rx. Kind of like a 6s 450..super powered constant headspeed and same flight time on a smaller mAh battery

Anyhow if people are wanting to do something like this on their own on the nano for cheap I would suggest ordering the plugs, diodes and light circuit board from digi-key
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed