This is true
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,637 Posts
L I B darned

Well I'll be darned - That fixed it! Like several, I had started getting the "shakes" - this time the Nano and not just me when attempting to fly inverted. I'd gone through the usual - replaced Feathering shaft #12 with lucky #13, replaced bullet blades with new blades, tightened/loosened/chanted over feathering shaft, even replaced the tail motor.

Then someone mentioned that the main shaft can become misshapen, or as Turbo described, "Sprung". I doubted that this could have happened, given that my flying is flawless and I only crash every 3rd flight now.

Replaced the main shaft last night and WOW - immediate difference. My Nano was vibrating so badly that (I assume) the gyro was going nuts occasionally and my tail would suddenly blow out, or I'd get some random input. now, it's stable, flying clean, and well behaved.

Thanks to all those who mentioned this may be the cause.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
Gaui X3, Blade 130X, Nano DFC
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
2,607 Posts
I flew a buddy's Nano and I think the main is going. I would be in idle up and I would go up and down like in a pitch pump, but slower. On the way down it would wobble back and fourth and I couldn't control it. I think the motor bogged and it wobbled. It wasn't until the headspeed slowly went back up that it stopped wobbling. Is the main dying?
BladeScraper is offline Find More Posts by BladeScraper
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KBAR Ordered :D
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:31 PM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micubano View Post
A friend of mine installed the brushless kit on his Nano and gave it a test run at the Fun Fly we were at yesterday. Here is the video.

http://youtu.be/N-LBR6xTJM4
It turns out the Nano in the video had the pjacq's brushless kit in it. I just ordered mine.
Micubano is online now Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Feb 2007
520 Posts
Is the mild kit enough to prevent bogging? At first people seemed to praise the mild kit, but lately I've seen more complaints that it is no more powerful than stock motor and the wild kit is the way to go.

I think I'm going to do one or the other, tried to do flips outside yesterday and way too much motor bogging on recovery. Course the temps were in the 40s (which I'm sure hurt battery performance) and I'm not sure I'll ever have good "collective management" as they say.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
The mild with a nice lipo shouldnt have any problems
It can flip constantly for 3 minutes on the 25c lipo. On the new 35C lipo, it never bogs down for 3.5 minutes.

Here's the 25c at only 69% throttle! At 75% she is screamin.
Flippin (0 min 55 sec)
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:51 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Is the mild kit enough to prevent bogging? At first people seemed to praise the mild kit, but lately I've seen more complaints that it is no more powerful than stock motor and the wild kit is the way to go.

I think I'm going to do one or the other, tried to do flips outside yesterday and way too much motor bogging on recovery. Course the temps were in the 40s (which I'm sure hurt battery performance) and I'm not sure I'll ever have good "collective management" as they say.
If they complain, they have either battery or setup issues. It is way better than stock with just the regular 25c batteries with many cycles through them. Here is a video of both stock and brushless (not a Dylan conversion but it was pretty much the same thing)
Nano cpX stock and brushless flight (4 min 4 sec)
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
Joined Feb 2007
520 Posts
Thanks, going to get a kit on order, But asteroid designs still out of stock. May have to piecemeal it from different sources. Think I may go to topcopter.com and go with the pjacq's frame brace/servo spacers, get unflashed xp3a and flash tool (also out of stock both places). Have read up on it, seems not too bad to do.

Any other good place to order these parts from?
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:08 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,232 Posts
Topper is a good guy, fast shipping too. You can also order from Hobbyking and wait 3-5 weeks for the esc and tool stick
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:31 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,316 Posts
Quote:
My understanding is that the 'mild' kit is a brushless replacement for stock brushed performance. It was never intended to be more powerful than the stock motor.

Some of us are just tired of burning through brushed motors.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, going to get a kit on order, But asteroid designs still out of stock. May have to piecemeal it from different sources. Think I may go to topcopter.com and go with the pjacq's frame brace/servo spacers, get unflashed xp3a and flash tool (also out of stock both places). Have read up on it, seems not too bad to do.

Any other good place to order these parts from?
I just PM'd pjacq on the board here this morning. He said he had stock for the whole kit, I paypal'd him the $65, and I already have the tracking number. All I have to do now is wait.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
My understanding is that the 'mild' kit is a brushless replacement for stock brushed performance. It was never intended to be more powerful than the stock motor.

I am still on my first motor with 50ish flights, but this is my primary reason for going mild brushless. I have been flying less than a year and still getting used to inverted flying, so I really don't need the extra power right now. Also, mild can be used with the stock batteries and the wild need the larger ones.

I noticed wild and mild kits mostly are sold with different motors. Can I just drop in a bigger motor in the future, or will I need to update the ESC firmware too? I haven't thought that far ahead.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
You can just swap the motor, and run bigger lipos along with a battery lead directly to the brushless esc. thats it, and your ready to go
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:27 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post

It is more powerful and spins at a higher rpm. Though sure you can run it at around 55% governor and it will perform similar to stock without bog
RCG Plus Member