HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:22 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
CP Curve for MSR Blades

Hi,

I'm just trying my Nano with MSR blades, and I think I've got a reasonable combination of curves. I have it set to lift off at a stick position of around +25% or so. With the stick centred it's firmly on the floor, and as far as I can hear it maintains a reasonably constant rotor speed while flying whether climbing, hovering or descending. My settings are as follows ...

Power -100% -50% 0% +45% +90%
Pitch -40% -40% -40% -10% +30%

Just wonder what others find works well with these blades. I want to keep it controlled by pitch, not run as an FP machine.

Cheers, Tony S
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Either a flat 0 pitch (50-50-50-50-50) or a little added negative pitch, but again flat.

If you want to be controlled by pitch, you would be better off to put your cp blades back on.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Feb 04, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:26 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Hi,

I'm just trying my Nano with MSR blades, and I think I've got a reasonable combination of curves. I have it set to lift off at a stick position of around +25% or so. With the stick centred it's firmly on the floor, and as far as I can hear it maintains a reasonably constant rotor speed while flying whether climbing, hovering or descending. My settings are as follows ...

Power -100% -50% 0% +45% +90%
Pitch -40% -40% -40% -10% +30%

Just wonder what others find works well with these blades. I want to keep it controlled by pitch, not run as an FP machine.

Cheers, Tony S
You are losing a lot of efficiency using a pitch curve. When I tried MSR blades, I found a flat pitch curve at 50% worked best.
At -40% you have negative pitch, which wont allow liftoff. at -10% you are probably OK, as it will fly within +/- 10% of zero pitch (0 pitfch is most effiencent though), and +30 you are wasting power, but more importantly,putting a larger load on the motor that you need to.

If you want more headspeed, MSRx blades will give you that, while still giving a little better flight times than the stock blades.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:57 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Well all 3 arms on my swash plate are now glued on,...still fly`s good, but I think it`s time to order a metal one Made a good pair of skids with 2 broken ones, some thread & ca, they have been holding out great. Fixed my MH CF skids also, but I would not recommend them, the little post broke off and was stuck in the hole after 2 crash`s.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:06 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Love the frankenskids!

My Airtime skids should arrive soon, can't wait as I've already had to purchase another stock set in the meantime. Stupid POS stock crap...
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Last edited by Billz_01; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:28 AM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
bullet blades??

cant get any of the nano bullet blades, will the hisky FBL 100 bullet blades work (or the cheaper v922 blades?
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:29 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
You are losing a lot of efficiency using a pitch curve. When I tried MSR blades, I found a flat pitch curve at 50% worked best.
At -40% you have negative pitch, which wont allow liftoff. at -10% you are probably OK, as it will fly within +/- 10% of zero pitch (0 pitfch is most effiencent though), and +30 you are wasting power, but more importantly,putting a larger load on the motor that you need to.
Cheers, I'll try a little less pitch and aim for 0% at hover power.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:58 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
564 Posts
I figured out the problem with my nano shakes - the collar on the main shaft had slipped up. I pushed it back down and now it's perfect.
http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...59&postcount=1
Point number 4 from the above link.
m_ark is online now Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Got may darting to the left problem and glitchyness fixed, the battery was too cold and could not put out the power so it made the board act funky. Now i got some tail wag, i just put on a new boom with motor, changed out tail rotors and main blades, it still does it. When i spool up there is no vibrations, feathering spindle is new, any suggestions? Note- the ultra micro batteries need to be strong and up to proper temp to fly this heli properly, so when buying batts, pick up some that are high quality.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,836 Posts
my tail wags a little all the time, moreso in normal (not idle up) mode, and more so when the battery is fully charged. It settles down after a minute or two (maybe it needs to warm up?) I've sort of just come to accept it as a quirk and it doesn't really bother me.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:28 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
God I love this thing. Just got mine today.

Blade Nano (1 min 37 sec)
Rich Knapp is offline Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:58 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Freaky, watching this while I've got Judge Judy on in the background, lol...

It's definitely an awesome little heli, you'll have fun with minimal expense for repairs (unless you go the upgrade route, things get a bit dearer then).

Stand with your back to the light source and she is much easier to see. Of course I fly mine in a room full of windows so I understand that can be hard
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:47 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4R View Post
Feathering shaft is straight, doesn't wobble when I put a wrench on one side and spin it. I've tried various tightness, should it have any play back and forth (a gap between the bearing and washer)?

Blades are loose also. I've tried a new mainshaft, and cleaning the servos aswell as replace the feathering spindle and hardware. Also balanced the blades and tried the spare tail rotor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex4R View Post
Main gear is pushed all the way up and glued, no up and down play. Forgot to mention that.

I started to pull apart my blade grips to put some green slime on the o-rings to start playing with tightness, found a hairline crack around the inner bearing of the blade grip. So I lubed the o-rings, put it all back together with new grips. Spindle tight, but not binding and loose blades. It was still wobbling, so I loosened the feathering spindle till it had a little bit of play and it got a lot better, but it's still there. Still shudders when I descend. Now I'm going to try the bullet blades and see if it goes away since it isn't as bad as it was before.

Finally figured out my problem with the wagging/vibration/shudders. The main gear being pushed all the way up without any play was the culprit. Now I have ~1mm movement up and down, and she's solid!!!

Also lost the original main motor yesterday. It gradually lost power until it struggled to keep it in the air. 56 flights total with my timer set at 3 minutes, mild hovering indoors and outdoors, usually cooled between flights, oiled the bushing once with some trinity motor bushing oil I had from back when cars ran 27T brushed stock class, once or twice I flew two or three batteries back to back. I didn't make a habit of it though. I had a couple crashes in the grass outside trying to stay inverted, but I hit TH as quick as I could. Of course there are no motors to be had at either 3 local hobby shops here, So I went to work and ordered two main motors to make sure I get some and my friend said his nano got stepped on and basically needs a full rebuild, so he gave me his motor to use till my order is filled. Sweet! I'm gonna have to throw him some replacement parts to help get his back in the air for that!
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:58 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,871 Posts
Where did you order the motor? The only place I found was wholesale trains but shipping is 10 bucks.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:04 AM
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Hobbytown. They aren't due in at horizon until the 10th so it'll be a week after that before I get them probably.
Alex4R is offline Find More Posts by Alex4R