HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
nope 180s will not fit in stock holder. Plenty easy to mod though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
do hyperion 180s fit in stock skids and does anyone know where to get glacier 160s, they are out of stock at the site that makes them but for 1.99 I want to get a few. I sent my nano off for repair and mild bl kit and want fresh batteries when it comes home.
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
Really, which airtime skids did you order? i had to modify a set of mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
Apparently not (I don't have any yet, waiting on my order) but they do fit in the Airtime skids, which are also on their way

There is a mount that you can get from (I'm wanting to say Dylan, but I'm not sure) someone that allows you to fit them, but I'm not sure if the stocks will go back in after...
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:50 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by burggraaf View Post
Really, which airtime skids did you order? i had to modify a set of mine!
The lo-pro blacks, but he mentions that he can mod them before shipping if requested. Top quality bloke to deal with.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Just strapped on my airtime skids. Black / white standard height! Love them, unfortunently the rear post bent a tad on the install causing it to flex a bit. Mainly human error. I plan on buying another low pro set and install them right even tho it still sits sturdy after bending them.

Best thing is you can re seat the main gear easily without removing gear. Batteries are a bit award to maneuver in but after you take the stickers off its quite easy

Overall highly recommend them and I can't wait for my lo pro black n whites!
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:55 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder View Post
???? DX8 is a computer transmitter, my nano has soft start with it just fine.

QUOTE=dacaur;23995930]Here is why you are getting conflicting answers. With the DX4e, yes it does have soft start when releaseing throttle hold in idle up. With a computer TX, it does NOT have soft start.
[/QUOTE]

Quote:
??? I'm confused ???
I thought I had soft start...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcazGLMJHTs

Meanwhile, this is my heli YouTube vid cherry popped.
Ok, you are right, I had tried it once right after i set it up on my DX7, but my mistake was I already had the rotors going slowly in normal mode, and then flipped to idle up, which bypasses the soft start, but apparently if you flip to idle up with the motor off, it does have soft start... sorry for the confusion guys. will edit my post.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:22 PM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
No worries, I was just curious if there was something different about my nano. Hence the vid.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:52 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
This is called autorotation recovery.If that's turned off, you will get a soft start every time. If it's on, you'll have to wait a while to get the soft start again. This gives you a little while to bail out of an intentional autorotation.
That makes perfect sense, but when you get someone like me, who is trying to track down a vibration. It darn near killed me with fear. I was laying on the ground trying to see the blade tracking. I was in the mid position on my DX8 that is about 80% power. I hit the throttle hold, then went to stand up after the rotor was slowing down. Managed to bump the TH. The heli spooled back up to max with me about 3 feet away from it. I screamed like a 9 year old girl. Thank god the throttle stick was bottomed out, or she would have been gone.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:56 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
That makes perfect sense, but when you get someone like me, who is trying to track down a vibration. It darn near killed me with fear. I was laying on the ground trying to see the blade tracking. I was in the mid position on my DX8 that is about 80% power. I hit the throttle hold, then went to stand up after the rotor was slowing down. Managed to bump the TH. The heli spooled back up to max with me about 3 feet away from it. I screamed like a 9 year old girl. Thank god the throttle stick was bottomed out, or she would have been gone.
I had a helicopter do that to me at night once, all on its own. Something went wrong with the servos or something and all of a sudden I had a 450 with lights and blades and all screaming at my face. So I ducked, like anyone would, and I slammed the collective down and the helicopter crashed like it never lost its mind in the first place, responding like it should. It was kinda scary, and it's the reason I never run my LEDs off the main battery any more.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:39 AM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I really like the feel of the dx7S/8 over the dx7, though I didnt when i first put my hands on it.

I now moved up again and I am still wondering if I will ever use all the channels on the latest radio
Seems near impossible to use them all.. especially on a heli. Don't you need a giant biplane with huge wings that require 2 servos per wing, + flaps + retractable landing gear + bomb dropper + telemetry for altitude, rpm, temp, battery voltage + ejection seat for little plastic dude in the cockpit to use up 18 channels?

I just switched from dx7 to dx8 and like it execpt it feels like everything is on + expo now.. dx7 seemed a lot more touchy with the sticks...
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:27 AM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
I have found that while learning with this awesome little wasp that I have moved from +45 expo now starting on +15 on swash from previous +20 (with full rates on all and no expo on rudder). Is there a natural progression from linear pitch curves? I no longer use FM1 as normal mode, and have reprogrammed it to be a V throttle curve, with a flat 100 on FM2 (stunt / IU) and linear pitch curves. Is that as far as it goes or should I start changing it some more? I find that linear suits me, but haven't tried anything else (apart from the normal mode as described in the book).
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:59 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Ok, some calc's for the masses;
Original stock motor 10:1 @ 100% TC and 0 pitch shows (from what ive read) 4200rpm. That's the baseline.

7t - 10:1 - 8100kv - 4S @ 100% T 0 P = 3240rpm (damn)
8t - 8.75:1 - as above gives 3702rpm
9t - 7.777:1 - as above gives 4165rpm
Not sure a 9t pinion would fit in there though and that's also 100% efficiency which we know won't happen.

Turnigy 1015 should see 4600rpm @ 10:1
13500 should see 5400rpm @ 10:1
16600 should see 6640rpm @ 10:1

Who's willing to test their mild/wild setups at 100% T 0% P to see what the actual head speed is???
The battery will be giving closer to 3.7v under load and it's likely you'll use less than 100% throttle in governor mode to provide some headroom for the governor, so we can assume a factor of something like 80% including motor efficiency. A 7t fits best and gives proper mesh, so that's what I used in the calculation. This gives 8100*3.7*0.8/10 = about 2400rpm...

Maybe a 0.4module 10t with a 54t maingear could work, gives around 4400rpm and fits the distance between motor and main shafts according to my rough measurements.

This is assuming of course that it is powerful enough running on 1s, needs to give at least 30g thrust just to get it airborne. Maybe one of the plane guys has done a thrust test.
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
Seems near impossible to use them all.. especially on a heli. Don't you need a giant biplane with huge wings that require 2 servos per wing, + flaps + retractable landing gear + bomb dropper + telemetry for altitude, rpm, temp, battery voltage + ejection seat for little plastic dude in the cockpit to use up 18 channels?

I just switched from dx7 to dx8 and like it execpt it feels like everything is on + expo now.. dx7 seemed a lot more touchy with the sticks...

It's easy to eat up a 10-12 channel tx if you get into the advanced side of the hobby & start flying full-featured, scale aircraft.

In addition to the standard 4 channels used on planes, we have retracts, flaps, airbrakes, spoilers, tailerons, variable-pitch props, engine mixture controls, ignition switches, on-board glow drivers, on-board starters, rotating gun turrets, folding wings, swing-wings, bomb-drops, lighting systems, articulated canopies - and a bunch of stuff that I probably forgot. BTW - telemetry modules don't eat up any tx channels, and separate channels are not typically used for multiple servos on a single control surface. A servo synchronizer is used for that.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:55 AM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly View Post
The battery will be giving closer to 3.7v under load and it's likely you'll use less than 100% throttle in governor mode to provide some headroom for the governor, so we can assume a factor of something like 80% including motor efficiency. A 7t fits best and gives proper mesh, so that's what I used in the calculation. This gives 8100*3.7*0.8/10 = about 2400rpm...

Maybe a 0.4module 10t with a 54t maingear could work, gives around 4400rpm and fits the distance between motor and main shafts according to my rough measurements.

This is assuming of course that it is powerful enough running on 1s, needs to give at least 30g thrust just to get it airborne. Maybe one of the plane guys has done a thrust test.
Please excuse my ignorance, what's a 0.4 module?

Is that 4400rpm @ 3.7v with 80% also???

I haven't seen a thrust test but I fail to see how that helps here (once again, my ignorance), as they are using fixed pitch props over a card sheet on scales. whereas we have collective pitch, and use neg p for thrust test directly on scales. Would the two different test's have a similar result? Is the nano full neg pitch equal to that of the umx props?

Could we not assume that if the stock has X thrust at Y pitch under Z load @ 4200 rpm, then X thrust would be greater @ 4400rpm (provided the weight is not dramatically altered)???
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:58 AM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It's easy to eat up a 10-12 channel tx if you get into the advanced side of the hobby & start flying full-featured, scale aircraft.

In addition to the standard 4 channels used on planes, we have retracts, flaps, airbrakes, spoilers, tailerons, variable-pitch props, engine mixture controls, ignition switches, on-board glow drivers, on-board starters, rotating gun turrets, folding wings, swing-wings, bomb-drops, lighting systems, articulated canopies - and a bunch of stuff that I probably forgot. BTW - telemetry modules don't eat up any tx channels, and separate channels are not typically used for multiple servos on a single control surface. A servo synchronizer is used for that.

Joel
And a partridge in a pear tree!!...

Wow, I never even imagined how I would be able to convince the mrs for a DX18. Now I have the best excuse ever, "Joel told me I needed it"
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,792 Posts
With a given prop, thrust increases at the square of the RPM. A 2x increase in RPM will provide a 4x increase in thrust - assuming the tips don't go transonic & the prop doesn't flex.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member