HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:55 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,008 Posts
Comment moved to my previous reply. Can we deleted posts here?
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by theimacman; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Moved reply to my previous post...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:16 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post

As a side note on soft start. If you move up to a 450, mke sure you never flip the TH back off before the rotor is completely stopped. it's instant 100% power, couple 360 rotations on the ground, and a brown stain in the shorts.
This is called autorotation recovery.If that's turned off, you will get a soft start every time. If it's on, you'll have to wait a while to get the soft start again. This gives you a little while to bail out of an intentional autorotation.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,784 Posts
Wooh finally a day that it didn't rain, got to fly a couple batteries through the nano in a baseball field, plenty of room.. It is a little harder to fly smooth circuits with the nano than the msr-x because it has so much more available speed and pitch authority. Takes a lot of concentration. I fly pretty much entirely in idle up mode now. My first mishap though I still forgot to hit throttle hold and instead cut it most of the way, only hitting TH once in the grass. Luckily no damage at all, just a little mud on the tail motor.

I was satisfied playing around with pitch changes and seeing it go way high then low again without moving horizontally, too afraid to try flipping. I am sure I will crash the first time I try. Then I went to the LHS and flipped in the sim a million times easy as cake on some R22 model that is way way way more stable than the nano. Hmm maybe it is actually time I invest in a sim just to learning helis without killing them. Same price either way...
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:22 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
I personally find the sim to be a little useless. Phoenix is apparently the best heli sim, but it doesn't seem very accurate. My best simulator has been been both my msr and my nano.

Although, perhaps it is just that I haven't set it up correctly, I don't really know. But I have flown at least 50% of the planes and heli's on it, and compared to real world it just doesn't cut it. Without weather / or calm day seems too easy, but with weather and it just blows to the side, when in actuall fact they hold much better in the wind but you need better collective management (not in the sim though, just ail ele). I dont think it accounts for the AS3X or the beastx gyro system. And, to top it off, my dx7s doesn't seem to work correctly with it, so I have to use my dx6i
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
brushless mild conversion

Ive just finished my first BL mild conversion and bound to my DX6i. Flys great, would def recommend! if getting sick of replacing motors.

Couple of questions.

im using hyperion 180s do they take a few flights to break in?
I am using the stock power lead to the batts and haven't soldered this direct to the ESC - is this advised even for the mild kit? The throttle sensitivity does seem a little less punchy than my stock bird (ie touch more lag down low but after it winds up plenty of juice) is this a throttle curve problem? It makes the nano a fair bit more jumpy to try and lift off compared to stock. Should i first experiment with throttle curves?
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:55 PM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Ok, some calc's for the masses;
Original stock motor 10:1 @ 100% TC and 0 pitch shows (from what ive read) 4200rpm. That's the baseline.

7t - 10:1 - 8100kv - 4S @ 100% T 0 P = 3240rpm (damn)
8t - 8.75:1 - as above gives 3702rpm
9t - 7.777:1 - as above gives 4165rpm
Not sure a 9t pinion would fit in there though and that's also 100% efficiency which we know won't happen.

Turnigy 1015 should see 4600rpm @ 10:1
13500 should see 5400rpm @ 10:1
16600 should see 6640rpm @ 10:1

Who's willing to test their mild/wild setups at 100% T 0% P to see what the actual head speed is???
Last edited by Billz_01; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:59 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,005 Posts
Did you limit your pitch travel to about 85% on your mild brushless? That's what's the recommended starting value. Then you can adjust from there.

Also, what is your governor percentage? (What's your throttle curve set at?)
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:02 PM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Damn, my nano does the hippy hippy shakes again.

Not a bent or loose FS, or broken/loose swash plate (they're both brand new and checked).
Could be a dodgy servo or my dying motor time to change out some parts I guess...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Feb 2007
524 Posts
What is your issue? Mine stopped binding, pressing hard on receiver chip it would bind, when I let off it dropped out. Put a little heat to it with heat gun for about 30 seconds, long enough to see a little bit of smoke (probably glue or something - nothing started on fire)...tried binding and it bound quickly and has worked since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Well, I'm probably guilty for starting the cat jokes, so my humblest apologies to anyone who had to wade through all that to get to useful information. I come here for more than just info, but I also have more time, so I understand those who need quick answers and technical info.

So, here's a little something I hope will be useful. As I mentioned, I killed my Nano Board learning how to flip this thing. An ad in the classifieds for a used board was answered by someone who directed me here:

http://www.megasmicros.com/AboutUs.asp

I cannot vouch for his service/quality/etc yet, but I am going to give it a try. for $25 bucks, its easily worth the risk. if you have board issues, watch this thread and I'll post back my experience.

Here's what the person who recommended it said (THANK YOU ANTHEN27)

Re: Blade Nano Main board and servo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sounds like an easy repair......probably just reflow some solder joints......send the board to megastumbler at www.megasmicros.com $25 flat fee for repair with return shipping and turnaround time is pretty fast.......hope that helps.........
jpconard is online now Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
I'm being told that my tip about throttling up a bit before turning on Stunt Mode is unnecessary, as the Nano CPX has a soft start when releasing throttle hold while in stunt mode.

Can anyone verify that? I was told otherwise by someone I consider a trustworthy source...
Edit - If you have the motor running at all in normal mode and flip to idle up, you don't get the soft start. you have to have the motor off, then flip the flight mode switch.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Last edited by dacaur; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:24 PM
USA, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Dec 2003
965 Posts
???? DX8 is a computer transmitter, my nano has soft start with it just fine.

QUOTE=dacaur;23995930]Here is why you are getting conflicting answers. With the DX4e, yes it does have soft start when releaseing throttle hold in idle up. With a computer TX, it does NOT have soft start.[/QUOTE]
kenelder is offline Find More Posts by kenelder
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:42 PM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
Ah good point, i did limit pitch travel in my BL setup (to 85%) so that might be the difference between the stock and the BL mild kit, should i increase that back a bit more? I wouldn't have thought that that would make much difference on initial spool up power though?? I thought that would impact top end response more?

I would love to know gov setttings (my ESC came pre flashed from Dylan at my request) the ESC programming is the one bit i am nervous about. I am happy to solder and dremel and glue etc but don't have any experience in BLheli esc settings- so its running whatever it came flashed with.

Is there a way to adjust the ESC settings through the tx? -like number of beeps etc, or should i just buy a usb and start to learn about ESC program stuff- i suppose since im loving rc helis so much this is part of the gradual learning curve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Did you limit your pitch travel to about 85% on your mild brushless? That's what's the recommended starting value. Then you can adjust from there.

Also, what is your governor percentage? (What's your throttle curve set at?)
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
536 Posts
do hyperion 180s fit in stock skids and does anyone know where to get glacier 160s, they are out of stock at the site that makes them but for 1.99 I want to get a few. I sent my nano off for repair and mild bl kit and want fresh batteries when it comes home.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:05 PM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Here is why you are getting conflicting answers. With the DX4e, yes it does have soft start when releaseing throttle hold in idle up. With a computer TX, it does NOT have soft start.
??? I'm confused ???
I thought I had soft start...

Soft start! (0 min 25 sec)

Meanwhile, this is my heli YouTube vid cherry popped.
Last edited by Billz_01; Jan 31, 2013 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:08 PM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
do hyperion 180s fit in stock skids.
Apparently not (I don't have any yet, waiting on my order) but they do fit in the Airtime skids, which are also on their way

There is a mount that you can get from (I'm wanting to say Dylan, but I'm not sure) someone that allows you to fit them, but I'm not sure if the stocks will go back in after...