SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:18 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Eureka - could this be Benchmark #7??

Ahhh - the first signs of spring! Well, not really, but leave me to my fantasies. It's 65 and a warm(ish) rain cleared out all the snow last night. First time I could really take the Nano out and relax when I flew it (in the snow, it was "fly, crash, blow out snow, take inside to dry out under hair drier, replace battery, then decide it really isnt' worth it).

SO, (and Joel, this is directed at you) I've been struggling to get my flips small enough to DARE to attempt them inside. My Modus Operandi up until now has been to take the heli up to 50,000 feet or so, flip it over, and hope to God that it was "skids down" before it hit the deck. By this time, I could hear the motor bogging down as it fought against atmospheric re-entry and the canopy glowed a bit from the friction.

But it's funny how your mind works on things when you aren't paying attention (a technique I employ at work quite frequently). I started to realize that the more I moved the pitch, the bigger the flip. SOOoooo (and it only took me a mere month to get to this conclusion) that would work in reverse, right? Small pitch change = tighter flip? Could it be???

Why, indeed! Apparently, it is so unnatural and so er, disturbing, to see the blades of the heli on the bottom, I was yanking down on the collective (I used that term hoping it was correct, if I'm wrong, politely ignore my stupidity). Today, I resisted the urge and, with eyes closed and whispers to myself about "using the force" I took the heli to eye level, bolstered my self control, and flipped it upside down with only the SLIGHTEST change in pitch. VIOLA!!! Not only did it not hit the ground, it remained nearly motionless (vertically). I hovered inverted when I could actually SEE the thing. Then I flipped it back over on its skids. . . . .
and crashed.

Eureka! A few more months and I'm gonna try doing THAT inside!!

Look out, kitty cat, Daddy's playing with fire now!
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:23 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,759 Posts
I suggest going with Dylan's mild kit. His stuff is always well-engineered and well-tested, and his workmanship is impeccable. He made a nearly plug & play mCPX bl kit with fully-proportional throttle for me. It was very well engineered, and all of the bits worked together perfectly. Still going strong a year later.

No point in re-inventing the wheel when you can get a kit that has been engineered & tested for the application.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I suggest going with Dylan's mild kit. His stuff is always well-engineered and well-tested, and his workmanship is impeccable. He made a nearly plug & play mCPX bl kit with fully-proportional throttle for me. It was very well engineered, and all of the bits worked together perfectly. Still going strong a year later.

No point in re-inventing the wheel when you can get a kit that has been engineered & tested for the application.

Joel
+1, both this and pjacq's are very good. pjacq's is a little easier, less frame mods and easier to transfer to another frame if needed, but I'm not sure if he supplies it with the 13,500kv (mild) motor or the 16,600kv (wild) one. Worth pm'ing him on that other heli forum I think.

Both kits require cutting the frame slightly, Dylan's (Astroid Designs) requires some gluing of CF frame supports, pjacq's just pop on and screw. Both require soldering the ESC signal wire and power wires. I think Dylan's is a bit lighter.

The mild motor flies a lot like stock (I use 75% throttle), just a bit more power. The tail actually holds better with the BL main and if you set it to Governor Arm mode you can play with the tail to main mixing to get it totally solid. Ampdraw has some good info on that. Even the 130x doesn't have governor mode let alone governor arm!

If I get another Nano, a BL kit will go on straight after checking the heli works. Also a MH swash and AR bracket and that's it. Only mods needed for me.
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:15 AM
MCX2..120SR..NCPX..MQX..D X7s
United States, OR, Salem
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Good Morning !
Just bought a DX7s and put it on the charger for 12 hrs. Only showing 5.5v...anyone familiar with the full charge/max voltage ? P.S. out of box was 4.8v.
My Dx6i would hit 5.8v.
23DM is offline Find More Posts by 23DM
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:33 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23DM View Post
Good Morning !
Just bought a DX7s and put it on the charger for 12 hrs. Only showing 5.5v...anyone familiar with the full charge/max voltage ? P.S. out of box was 4.8v.
My Dx6i would hit 5.8v.
It comes with a 4-cell NiMH & the internal charger also supports 2s LiPo packs. Page 5 in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM7800-Manual_EN.pdf

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23DM View Post
Good Morning !
My Dx6i would hit 5.8v.
Mine charges to that also, and doesn't take long to get down to 4.8. I stop it at 4.4 and recharge but I always charge it before I take the big heli's out if it's not full.

The stock NIMH is absolute rubbish. But I can't bring myself to pay $70 for the speky lipo, so I'm replacing it with a turnigy from HK designed for it for $20 (close rounded number, I'm sure it's near that). Also with the lipo, the charge circuit has an auto shut off system, but not with the nimh pack.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:49 AM
MCX2..120SR..NCPX..MQX..D X7s
United States, OR, Salem
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
It comes with a 4-cell NiMH & the internal charger also supports 2s LiPo packs. Page 5 in the manual: http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPM7800-Manual_EN.pdf

Joel
I did read it Joel, but did not see an ending full charge number...on second thought, my DX6i manual did not indicate that either so perhaps it is of little consequence. Just wanted a full charge read for a baseline for my new TX.
Thankya much Sir !
23DM is offline Find More Posts by 23DM
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Sep 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Ahhh - the first signs of spring! Well, not really, but leave me to my fantasies. It's 65 and a warm(ish) rain cleared out all the snow last night. First time I could really take the Nano out and relax when I flew it (in the snow, it was "fly, crash, blow out snow, take inside to dry out under hair drier, replace battery, then decide it really isnt' worth it).

SO, (and Joel, this is directed at you) I've been struggling to get my flips small enough to DARE to attempt them inside. My Modus Operandi up until now has been to take the heli up to 50,000 feet or so, flip it over, and hope to God that it was "skids down" before it hit the deck. By this time, I could hear the motor bogging down as it fought against atmospheric re-entry and the canopy glowed a bit from the friction.

But it's funny how your mind works on things when you aren't paying attention (a technique I employ at work quite frequently). I started to realize that the more I moved the pitch, the bigger the flip. SOOoooo (and it only took me a mere month to get to this conclusion) that would work in reverse, right? Small pitch change = tighter flip? Could it be???

Why, indeed! Apparently, it is so unnatural and so er, disturbing, to see the blades of the heli on the bottom, I was yanking down on the collective (I used that term hoping it was correct, if I'm wrong, politely ignore my stupidity). Today, I resisted the urge and, with eyes closed and whispers to myself about "using the force" I took the heli to eye level, bolstered my self control, and flipped it upside down with only the SLIGHTEST change in pitch. VIOLA!!! Not only did it not hit the ground, it remained nearly motionless (vertically). I hovered inverted when I could actually SEE the thing. Then I flipped it back over on its skids. . . . .
and crashed.

You, sir, are hilarious. I wish it would hurry up and dry up and get warm here. I wouldn't dream of going outside with anything.
elkabong80 is online now Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:08 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post

and crashed.

Ahh, the kitty cat. Mine attacks my MSR and the Nano. My wifve wont let me chase it with the Mcpx. Really though, I want to chase it with the 450......idle up.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:21 PM
Joined Feb 2012
96 Posts
Our 14-week-old "baby lion" kitty loves to just sit and watch my mCPx when I fly it in our kitchen.....he doesn't try to jump on it or chase it...he just sits, sort of transfixed......
Truth be known...I really don't like to fly with him in the area....Despite the fact I FEEL in "control"....there's always the chance of something going awry....and I'd be devastated if anything were to happen to our friendly, furry feline......!
dasBlade300X is offline Find More Posts by dasBlade300X
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:22 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Ahh, the kitty cat. Mine attacks my MSR and the Nano. My wifve wont let me chase it with the Mcpx. Really though, I want to chase it with the 450......idle up.
Do you think we're supposed to laugh about you tormenting a cat?
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Do you think we're supposed to laugh about you tormenting a cat?
I laughed. Was that wrong? I assume he is kidding!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:10 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I laughed a little bit too. But my cat didn't hear me, so I think it's okay.

Got trouble in paradise. I seem to have acquired (I know this will shock those of you who have followed my escapades for a while now) a loose connection on my board. I fly her, then suddenly, she abruptly stops flying (power still on, I can hear the servos whining) I assume because she dropped the link. Then, just before she hits the deck, power returns, and she (now tilted off center and will FULL pitch because I simply can't help myself) she careens at mach 12 towards the nearest solid object.

I really do believe this thing is attempting to kill itself. I do not understand why - the way things are going, I think I will be able to save it the trouble if it will be a little more patient.

Anyway, I have checked:
The antenna = Firmly attached, not touching anything it shouldn't.
The tail motor wires = I thought maybe these were shorting out after my solid tail boom soldering job, but alas, after a rebuild, not the culprit
The battery = nope, no difference even with my best eflites
The board = okay let me try to describe this electronically: wiggle wiggle (it was loose on the frame) - solid light. Wiggle wiggle - no light. Wiggle wiggle - solid light no light solid light no light (DON'T GO TOWARDS THE LIGHT, LITTLE NANO!! Stay With me, baby!!!)

I disconnected everything from the board and pulled it off the frame, but I can't get it to bind. Should a board - detached from all body parts - be able to bind?

*Help* I am very very sad. (sniff sniff In spite of our abusive, co-dependent, obsessive complusive relationship, I will miss it very much if it is dead.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:10 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I don't assume anything. And, even if he was kidding, I don't find that funny at all. It's pretty sick, actually, as that could obviously very easily kill a cat.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:41 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,456 Posts
Well, whichwaysup just described his nano hurtling from 50,000 feet up fighting against atmospheric re-entry. I imagine that would have negative consequences too if it hit a cat on the way down.

But I didn't take his comments any more seriously than I took Wookster's.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam