HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:18 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I have with the mSR & mCPX, but not with this bird - yet. It acts like a bent shaft - but c/f doesn't bend. I call it a 'sprung' shaft. It's caused by hairline cracks & separated fibers.

Joel
Its tru CF doesnt bend (well, you can bend it, but it will always go back straight, unless you crack/break it)

But it is possible that the shaft was slightly bent during the MFG process, If its made bent, it will always be bent.
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:49 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
Its tru CF doesnt bend (well, you can bend it, but it will always go back straight, unless you crack/break it)

But it is possible that the shaft was slightly bent during the MFG process, If its made bent, it will always be bent.
Good point. However - in my case, the shafts had been sprung from being 'stress-tested' one time too many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo75 View Post
Anyone have trouble with Thunder Power 160 mAh batteries in the Nano? I used to use these with my msr all the time and they worked great. They're 25C so they should be the same as the stock Eflight batteries. When I use them in my Nano power seems to come in and out. I've tried several different batteries (I have a bunch of the TPs) and it seems to happen with all of them. Is this already a known thing?
I'm using a few fresh TP 160s & they work well. This heli requires good batts that are in good health. If yours are old & tired, or have been abused from being discharged deeper than 80%, being routinely stored at full-charge, or being used in extremely cold temps, they won't work in this bird.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:34 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,131 Posts
My TP 160's are only ok at best, power is noticeably lower then my eflights and hyperions, I love my Hyperion 160's! They have quite a bit of punch, maybe more then the stock eflights.
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:07 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,454 Posts
Quote:
yea if they are fairly old (a year or more) Its not surprising they are not up to it. the nano uses a LOT more power than the MSR.... even tired old 25C packs will fly an MSR, but wont do on the nano...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
4,917 Posts
Quote:
I don't think a LiPo defect would cause intermittent power. I'm guessing the cause to intermittent power would probably be more likely from intermittent electrical connection(s) due to vibrations and/or maybe one of the Motor's tiny hair-like metal brush "fingers" broke or melted off and is bouncing inside the Motor causing intermittent problems?
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I don't think a LiPo defect would cause intermittent power. I'm guessing the cause to intermittent power would probably be more likely from intermittent electrical connection(s) due to vibrations and/or maybe one of the Motor's tiny hair-like metal brush "fingers" broke or melted off and is bouncing inside the Motor causing intermittent problems?
It causes the Nano to shut down and then come back on when you stick a battery in there that it doesn't like. I think it hits LVC and shuts off, then the battery looks fine so it comes back on. Anyway you solve it by using a better battery. My E-flite batteries and the Hyperion 160s seem to be reliable.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,622 Posts
I was just flying outside for the first time with my new nano, its about 45 degrees out. My first battery I started getting the above described cutting out behavior after about 3 minutes give or take. Twice I hit TH and it didn't work, which made the nano do the "headless chicken dance" unceremoniously. Luckily no damage. I think the battery was just too cold. The second battery I set my timer for about 3:30 to account for the temp and it was fine. Tail wagging is starting to get annoying. Gonna take it to the LHS where I picked it up and show them what it does and see what they think.
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:34 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
My TP 160's are only ok at best, power is noticeably lower then my eflights and hyperions, I love my Hyperion 160's! They have quite a bit of punch, maybe more then the stock eflights.
I also prefer my Hyp 160s over the other UM form-factor cells. However, there is a big difference in performance between the Hyp 160 UM cells and the Hyp 180 'flatpack' cells - despite the relatively small difference in capacity. The Hyp 180s have considerably lower internal resistance. Could be due to the different form-factor. I'm going to pick up a Hyp 180 & 240 mount from Dylan so I can use the fist-full of Hyp 180s & 240s I bought for my mCPX - which I haven't flown since the 130X came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I was just flying outside for the first time with my new nano, its about 45 degrees out. My first battery I started getting the above described cutting out behavior after about 3 minutes give or take. Twice I hit TH and it didn't work, which made the nano do the "headless chicken dance" unceremoniously. Luckily no damage. I think the battery was just too cold. The second battery I set my timer for about 3:30 to account for the temp and it was fine. Tail wagging is starting to get annoying. Gonna take it to the LHS where I picked it up and show them what it does and see what they think.
How cold was it?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,454 Posts
Quote:
Yea, when the voltage drops so low the reciver shuts down, it will just keep going for a bit at the last throttle setting.... happens on all the 1 cells UM's I have if you go too far,....
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:49 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,622 Posts
about 40-45F, cold enough to degrade a non prewarmed battery.
seeingeyegod is online now Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,180 Posts
Quote:
about 40-45F, cold enough to degrade a non prewarmed battery.
Yeah, that would do it. And there is a big difference in cold-wx performance between the various brands.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Garggghhhh. Please someone give me a technique using this darn elmers glue to get the feathering spindle to stay. Keeps loosening. Any idea what the stock black glue is?
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:21 PM
United States, CO, Superior
Joined Jun 2011
171 Posts
This is really weird. I think two of the TP 160s were old and tired like folks suggested above. So I'm going to retire them. These were the batteries that were causing the heli to go in and out of power (like it was hitting the LVC as jasmine suggested).

The other TP 160s don't cause the power issues, but they cause the heli to shake and tail wag. The stock batteries don't do this. Not sure why batteries would cause shakes or tail wag. They fit into the holder well so it's not like they're loose and rattling around.

I guess I'll just retire those as well or keep them for the msr...
stevo75 is offline Find More Posts by stevo75
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:27 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Garggghhhh. Please someone give me a technique using this darn elmers glue to get the feathering spindle to stay. Keeps loosening. Any idea what the stock black glue is?
I have just went with some CA. I put a small drop on a tooth pick and then dab the nut/threads. It's been holding solid and breaks free when I need to remove it. I use the BSI Extra Thick Maxi-Cure ca. So it stays were I put it in a nice little ball and doesn't flow at all. I wouldn't try it with thin ca as it could flow into the threads and even your bearings

JUST TO CLARIFY!!! THIS GOES ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE NUT/THREADS AFTER YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE NUT... NOT BEFORE YOU SCREW THE NUT ON... THAT WOULD MOST LIKELY MAKE THE INSTALLATION PERMANENT!!!
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Last edited by Aphro; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:33 PM.