HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:12 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Anyone with aftermarket blade grips.
Do you notice the same binding when you tighten the feathering spindle as the stock grips?
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Signs of improvement

Feel free to ignore this post, as it is simply me just musing about my "evolution" in heli flying, courtesy of the Nano. I think evolution is the appropriate term, as it infers that things began in the single (brain) celled soup and took a very very long time to progress to monkeydom.

So, I was flying the Nano in the living room and it occurred to me that there are very clear, very standard benchmarks in learning to fly something designed to do unexpected things very quickly. I thought I'd document them here for posterior . . .posterity's sake:

Benchmark #1: You buy the stupid thing. You know you shouldn't, you aren't ready, but are overwhelmed by the idea of something that looks like a helicopter flying UPSIDE DOWN. And you watched those videos and it really didn't look all THAT hard. After all, a few years ago, you couldn't fly anything and now you can most of the time without destroying it. This purchase represents the small downpayment you will be making to support the children of Horizon Hobby employees. It's a worthy cause.

Benchmark #2: You attempt first flight. You read the manual. Actually you studied it, because you didn't really understand any of the terms in it, like "pitch curve" (you'd heard of a curve ball from a pitcher, so you go with that definition), Throttle curve (still not sure, didn't think that stick actually curved, but maybe you missed it), and "90 degree vs. 180 degree gyro" (clueless). So, you go safe. Normal mode, maybe a little more expo, a little less travel, and a really really big place to fly. And a helmet. And eye protection. And nobody around for miles who might laugh at you, because, after all, you are terrified by something that is slightly bigger than a matchbox car. It takes off, it flies like some of your other helis. You start to think "this won't be too big a leap after all!" You crash it because, while it flies like other things you've flown, when things start heading south, they go in a damned fine hurry.

Benchmark #3: You enter the "This shouldn't be this damned difficult" phase. Expect this to last several days months years an indeterminant amount of time. You become successful at flying it in normal mode, in ovals. Except when it comes at you and everything you thought you knew vanishes because there is a yellow wasp coming at your nose at mach 3 and the controls suddenly seem backwards. This lasts through 18 skids, 14 feathering shafts, 5 tail booms (because you make those last with enough tape and CA to cause the heli to fly backwards better than forwards), and precisely 4 frame pins (because after the fourth one, you stop caring about that stupid plastic canopy anyway and you sure as hell aren't going to replace it until you stop destroying it every time you fly it.

Benchmark #4: You master outdoor flight. Indoor flight becomes a really bad, destructive habit. You don't really want to fly indoors, but you can't stand the fact that everyone else can. You would really like to just enjoy this thing now that you don't hate it as much outside, but no, that guy from HH sat on his couch and made it do amazing things and ultimately, that's why you bought it, right? So you tear up your walls, curse your cabinets, terrify your dog/cat/wife/kids/fish. And just when you think you've got it, you discover that your feathering spindle is bent, your tailboom is cracked, your main gear has slipped down (again), your swash pins are hanging on by the finest of molecular forces, and your blades are either too tight or not tight enough and you can't remember which - so into the walls you go again. This phase will end sometime after the cockroaches give up and all life on planet earth ceases to exist. Or at least it feels that way.

Benchmark #5: Outdoor flight has progressed to a point where, again, you are pushed out of your comfort zone and compelled to do stupid things to your now mangled helicopter, which now looks more like a brain on life support than an actual aircraft. You attempt to flip it. It doesn't end well so, of course, you keep doing it, taking satisfaction in the fact that it hurts the helicopter more than it does you (except it really hurts to know how much those parts are going to cost and how much you hate driving across town to the hobby shop where you KNOW they are still laughing from your last set of purchases).

Benchmark #6: Flips happen. Indoor flight continues to be exciting. Not much to say here except you finally start to feel the thrill of flying an aerobatic helicopter, except now it's windy, raining, and overcast every single frickin day and you are forced instead to fly indoors, where your progress continues to move . . . backwards. The cursed thing has a mind of its own, and directional control reverses itself everytime the heli changes directions. And dadburn it, you KNEW better than to give left aileron in a right hand turn, but the thing was coming at you so blasted fast you had to make a split second guess or lose an eye. Back to the hobby shop. . . . for your wife, because at this point, it's simply too embarrasing to go yourself.

Benchmark #7: I'll let you know when I get there.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:49 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,329 Posts
LOL. Great, funny read. Thanks.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
252 Posts
Extremely entertaining and factually correct! I laughed, I cried, I bought more parts, crashed and cried again. I've never flown my nano outdoors because I got it for Christmas and its been either extremely snowy or sub-zero here. My flying has been in my garage and with the dx4e, so very little expo or good flight in. It's coming though. Thanks for sharing! Glad to now I'm not the only one who did all of this (almost scary how spot on every detail is). Happy flying!
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:49 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
K I gave up I put elmers glue on the fs but and used silicone spray on the upper head. Hope it works. Been loostening up after each flight
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:20 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,257 Posts
whichwaysup,

LOL! At first I was like "nope, too long, not reading that!", and then I saw the comments by others, and decided to read it. I'm happy I did! TOO FUNNY! Very well done.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Welp, I finally bought another NCPX!! They finally had the BNF in stock. Didn't realize I get ANOTHER useless 1s charger and AA batteries and 2 eflight batteries (cool). Thought it would be like the MSRX BNF which comes with absolutely nothing except the heli. Bought a hyp160 with it, probably will hang on to it and just leave it in the package for awhile..

I think I'm going to switch to bullet blades before the maiden.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Hope you enjoy it ad much as we all do. Very fun heli just got my airtime police special skids and the elmer glue job on the feathering spindle and silicone spray on the head is working great!
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
29 Posts
When doing an AD BL conversion has any one else fond it tough (almost impossible) to get the longer screws back into the original holes for connecting back up the servo with the spacers? I dont want to ruin the frame after all the work to modify it. Any tips?
burggraaf is offline Find More Posts by burggraaf
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:41 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Wow, it's uncanny how familiar that "evolutionary path" of flight is.

Great read, thanks for the laugh. Btw, find the guy at your LHS that flies also, as he will understand why you're breaking stuff. That was my trick anyway.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by perschek View Post
Hope you enjoy it ad much as we all do. Very fun heli just got my airtime police special skids and the elmer glue job on the feathering spindle and silicone spray on the head is working great!
Oh I'll enjoy this one a lot as long as I stay miles away from any body of water, cause with my first one, I found that it was magnetically attracted to a nearby pond and I never saw it again

Just flew two batteries through it. Definitely a lot better at flying it than I was with my original, now that I've been flying the MSRx around for the last few weeks. Feels like an MSRx with an adrenaline shot. This ones tail motor was doing a lot of waggling at first, I'm sure it just needs to be broken in. It had already almost completely smoothed out by the second battery. Managed to just do a couple of very slow circles in the living room and not slam it into the ground once. Just a couple light collisions with table and chair legs a split second after hitting TH hold. Really itching to open her up outside
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
LOL. Great, funny read. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
whichwaysup,

LOL! At first I was like "nope, too long, not reading that!", and then I saw the comments by others, and decided to read it. I'm happy I did! TOO FUNNY! Very well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
Wow, it's uncanny how familiar that "evolutionary path" of flight is.

Great read, thanks for the laugh. Btw, find the guy at your LHS that flies also, as he will understand why you're breaking stuff. That was my trick anyway.
Glad you all enjoyed it and thanks for putting up with my musings. I figured that life with myself is to comical not to share. I really amaze myself with my ineptitude with this thing. And all this time I thought my WIFE had a knack for keeping me humble. She's met her match.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Sep 2012
252 Posts
Christmas day my wife shook her head and laughed at me when I broke my canopy and landing gear on my first lift off out of the box.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkabong80 View Post
Christmas day my wife shook her head and laughed at me when I broke my canopy and landing gear on my first lift off out of the box.
Wives are good for us.

I keep telling myself that. Actually, I can't complain - she really DID go to the hobby shop and pick up $40 worth of parts to keep me, er, trying. She's a good woman.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
My Mrs added a 300X to my collection for Christmas just past. But oh no, I'm not allowed in the hobby shop because I spend too much, lol... Time to shop more online

Meanwhile, time to grab some of those Airtime skids, I've busted yet another stock set
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01