Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:10 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
A friend of mine gave me a small box of spares for his old mCPX. Can the nano use any of the spares from the mCPX?
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post
A friend of mine gave me a small box of spares for his old mCPX. Can the nano use any of the spares from the mCPX?
Tail rotors and tail motors
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
Gaui X3, Blade 150X
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
My bl kit is on its way
Do da, do da
My bl kit is on its way
Do, do, do do, da day

Hahaha I love that
BladeScraper is online now Find More Posts by BladeScraper
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new radio!
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:26 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Tail rotors and tail motors
Sweet! He's got some mCPX tail booms and motors in the spares box. Thanks!
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilot786457 View Post
Hahaha I love that
Cool pic in your Avatar!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:33 PM
Gaui X3, Blade 150X
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
2,944 Posts
deleted.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
The coiled wire definitely is included in the effective length, infact, if you were to straighten it out, and place it across the middle of the heli, you would get better signal from it then wrapped around a post, but it would have no support.

The apparent signal drop, where the rotor stops and lights turns off, I feel is a brown out. This happened to me regularly while my main motor was dying. I am pretty certain it would've been due to a fatigued motor drawing too much from the board, therefore the board shut down to compensate. (Save from cooking). Replacing my main motor solved this issue for me, and it hasn't happened since.

Weak points on the nano, I do not feel include the main board. Mine shut itself down each time I was too slow on the TH, and when my motor failed. They do however include; tail boom, landing skids, feathering shaft, and main motors. (My opinion only, and not limited too). These are the items I am going to upgrade or mod, to hopefully spend less down time.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 14, 2013, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
315 Posts
Same here. The times where I was slow on the TH especially when my main motor started to die my Nano would reboot in a way. I would have to put the left stick to the bottom and flick the TH a time or two and it was good to go again.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
I don't know how people make these canopys look so good. My first paper canopy for my nano is complete and looks terrible. I'm sure you don't get work like Daryoon makes on the first try, but... MAN it's hard!

Check it out. Yuck!

Name: image3.jpg
Views: 83
Size: 159.7 KB
Description: Wrong paper. Poor cutting. Worse glue job. It's strong as nails though!Name: image.jpg
Views: 81
Size: 210.6 KB
Description:

Looks like hell, but its pretty hard and will probably protect the little heli pretty well.
elkabong80 is offline Find More Posts by elkabong80
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
That makes some sense, and you're right that I'm not up to speed on helicopter aerofoil forms. From my limited experience I think of undercambered forms as being optimised for low speed, which I guess might make for poor performance at low AoA. Does that make sense?

Having said that you've clearly found "some" pitch value that lifts but doesn't bog the motor down, that being the value that you use in your fixed pitch tests. You also have found a lower pitch value that gives zero lift even at full throttle. How does it work if you set the pitch curve between those values? Maybe it's too coarse a control.

I suppose for sports/training flying the ideal would be asymetric but flat bottomed blades. Is that what the MSR (not X) blades are like?

Thanks, Tony S

Well, the FP MSR and MSRx blades are definitely optimized for zero pitch, but I didn't try anything between 45 and 50 (50 being zero pitch) I bet I could optimize it a bit more since 50 in the radio may or may not be exactly zero pitch.... I would think it would be unlikely its exact, but I don't think its far enough off to worry much over (I have already taken them off the heli)...

You are right that undercambered airfoils do best at low speed. The MSRx blades are actually just barely undercambered, while the MSR blades are significantly more undercambered, and wider, and also a bit longer. They are optimised for a lower head speed, which is why it (the nano) is able to fly with so much lower power draw with the MSR blades. The MSRx blades are made to run a much higher head speed than he MSR blades, (shorter and narrower) so you have better control, but at the cost of increased amp draw.

The only downside I found to the MSR blades (other than not being good for aerobatics) is a weird nodding/bob my nano did with them installed, but I think that's probably due to the fact the blades were well used and chipped, since the MSR I took them off had the bob too, (but not as bad) The upside was MUCH longer flight times with the stock battery, plus the ability to fly with my old 150mah 12C packs..... For hover practice indoors, they are great. For anything else, probably not...
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:48 AM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
In my research the Nano and the Mcp-X, I ran across a BUNCH of posts around the web about the Nano board can only take 3-5 crashes if you fly other than in/over grass.
I have no doubt you found a bunch of posts of users complaining the board is weak but that has not been my experience. I've crashed plenty and only banged up one canopy and one set of skids so far. I've been stuck indoors for about 4 months now in a gym so I'm definitely not currently flying over grass.

It's kind of a generalization for someone to post that approx 5 crashes would take out a board. It would be very hard to crash something this light and damage it much unless you stalled the main motor, kept full throttle on and the over current protection failed until some chips on the board burnt up. I haven't seen OCP fail on any of mine.

What's a bunch? 20-30-40 out of 1000's of owners?

I really don't think there's an issue with weak boards.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 AM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Anyone tried extending the tail boom? I'm about to make up a solid carbon boom and am considering extending.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:09 AM
Gaui X3, Blade 150X
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Cool pic in your Avatar!
thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:26 AM
Billy
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Tail still holds solid though, quite impressed.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Aug 2012
545 Posts
my tail boom is cracked and twists when I fly but the tail still holds better than my mcpx. I don't really see what an extended tail boom would add to the equation except making it's cog off. I am definitely considering a solid one but don't want to make my own. I love the hop up on the mcpx and wish horizon would offer a solid replacement for my nano. I am being lazy though, I want to buy a plug and play part rather than spend a little time making one for a tenth of the price myself.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head