SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2013, 08:44 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,142 Posts
Tsenecal,

I fly with a Futaba 10CHP. Swash is 'H-1 Pure 1/2/6', with channels 1-4 & 6 reversed.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 09:54 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,745 Posts
Nice pics indoorheli, I think it's safe to say you're a Blade fan. I understand why, the stuff just works. I am struggling with clones right now, about to give up and buy a 450x, just too much money for what it is.
shahram72 is online now Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
... the MSRx blades have almost a soft feel to them (like a FP heli. go figure) ...
Isn't that because you're operating them at a fixed pitch, so that you have to adjust power by varying motor speed? I would have thought a better comparison would be to compare both types of blades with a fixed head speed and variable pitch.

Tony S
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,922 Posts
Success at last

Haha! FrankenNano flipped! I finally managed to get the stick movements figured out- not the least of which is to flip the TWO switches before attempting. The first few had a LOT of altitude loss, but by the end of the day I was only losing 5 ft or so. Lots of practice ahead but finally making progress.
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:47 AM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,820 Posts
Anyone looking, i just posted an astroid brushless kit.
These sell quickly!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23800613
skeppley is online now Find More Posts by skeppley
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
Hi. Finally my nano + dx6i are here. Outside is heavy snow, so I have no alternative but my living room. I've found quite difficult to hover with the settings of the manual. Ca n you point me in a slower, easier settings?
bad_mofo is offline Find More Posts by bad_mofo
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:22 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
i like the stock settings.

just a tip: syma s107 blades are the same size as nano blades
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:55 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_mofo View Post
Hi. Finally my nano + dx6i are here. Outside is heavy snow, so I have no alternative but my living room. I've found quite difficult to hover with the settings of the manual. Ca n you point me in a slower, easier settings?
If you fly it on Low Rates and set the Pitch Travel/EPA to 70/70%, it should tame it way down until you get used to it. I'm running 40% DR and 20% Expo on Low. Some like lower Expo too.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Jan 13, 2013, 03:57 PM
RC ADDICT
United States, MN, Plymouth
Joined Sep 2005
106 Posts
Bad mofo- dial in way more expo, other than that its practice, practice, practice. I thought the same at first also. It's really stable but it still gets away really fast!
gonracn is offline Find More Posts by gonracn
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
9,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Isn't that because you're operating them at a fixed pitch, so that you have to adjust power by varying motor speed? I would have thought a better comparison would be to compare both types of blades with a fixed head speed and variable pitch.

Tony S
That's not possible because the MSRx blades are undercambered, so only provide lift without straining the motor within a very narrow range. A flat curve at 50% is what they are designed for (0 degrees pitch) at 45% it wont lift off even at 100% throttle (not to surprising i guess), and at 60% it bogs the motor. I don't know if you have any experience with undercambered wings, but wing incidence is very important. Bring The front of the wing down to far and you lose lift, bring it up to far, and you gain lift, but at the cost of increased drag, which means you need more power to fly, which is wasteful of battery life, but when you get it just right, it is very efficient.

I figured the fairest test would be to fly them both as they are designed to be flown. A flat throttle curve is unfair to the MSRx blades, while a flat pitch curve is unfair to the symmetrical blades....

I really only tried the MSRx blades because I read that MSR blades give much longer battery life (which is true, with MSR blades you can fly with the old 12C e-flight batteries, which wont even get the heli off the ground with symmetrical blades), but the hobby shop I stopped at didn't have the MSR blades, just MSRx, so I decided to try them out..... I will save them for a rainy day when I bust up my bullet blades and have no spares, or my batteries significantly weaken.

Obviously MSR and MSRx blades aren't good for any kind of aerobatic practice, but are good for hover/orientation type practice by giving longer flight times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_mofo View Post
IMO, dual rates are a waste on models like this unless you are a rank heli beginner,(in which case you shouldn't have bought it). If you have any amount of single rotor experience, set the rates to 100% and bring your expo up to 40%-45% on aileron and elevator, and it gets much easier to fly. Also, switch to the bullet blades, they make it MUCH more stable.

As you can see by the conflicting advice, everyones flying style demands different settings. Of coruse, its also possible that some people just havent tried anything but what they use, because it works for them, (even though different setting might work better) so thats what they recomend.

The best advice is to try different settings, and see what works best for you.

The one thing to keep in mind though, is that dual rates and expo both do the same thing, which is make the stick softer around the center (at least in this application) but dual rates has the downside of not giving full servo travel if you need it, while expo still gives you 100% servo travel if you need it..... IMO, using just expo makes more sense on something like this. I guess if you are a stick banger, having full servo travel could be detrimental..... Just remember to be soft on the controls...
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Last edited by dacaur; Jan 13, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,922 Posts
Solid Tail boom help

Okay - the flipping is taking it's toll - I'm on my second tail boom - and I just broke it. The good news is that I am crashing very infrequently. The bad news is that, when I do, it tends to be rather spectacular. The aileron flips are definitely easier, but I've gotten a few flips using the elevator.

So, here's the question. I'm about to drop $60 for the CNC swash, AR plate, blade grips, and hub, but I'm getting tired of buying $14 tailbooms. What are my options? The one that Rakon sells says it is only for their frame, and it looks hollow. I found this vid - is it really that simple to do yourself? 2MM or .080 solid CF and then shrink wrap over it to hide/protect the wires?

Blade Nano CPX Solid Tail Boom Mod (10 min 27 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2012
262 Posts
Real world info. I have a MSR, 120sr and had a Super FP. I'm looking at eather a Nano or mCPx-V2. I hear the Mcpx-V2 has a issue with tail blow out but the Nano has a weak board and don't take crash's. I'll be flying in living room over winter and our black top parking lot with tunnel effect breazes (between a apartment building and apatment building gorages) in summer.

I'll be binding it to a DX6i. With were I'll be flying would the Mcp-x-V2 a better over all choice?

I thought about the 130X but I'm not ready for all the vereables with the aditional parts for the tail.
Rich Knapp is online now Find More Posts by Rich Knapp
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:08 PM
USA, CA, Cardiff-by-the-Sea
Joined Nov 2005
1,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Okay - the flipping is taking it's toll - I'm on my second tail boom - and I just broke it. The good news is that I am crashing very infrequently. The bad news is that, when I do, it tends to be rather spectacular. The aileron flips are definitely easier, but I've gotten a few flips using the elevator.

So, here's the question. I'm about to drop $60 for the CNC swash, AR plate, blade grips, and hub, but I'm getting tired of buying $14 tailbooms. What are my options? The one that Rakon sells says it is only for their frame, and it looks hollow. I found this vid - is it really that simple to do yourself? 2MM or .080 solid CF and then shrink wrap over it to hide/protect the wires?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UNXbVIgi7M
In my opinion all you need is a metal swash and a solid boom. Just buy a 4' or however long they come 2mm carbon fiber rod. Cut them with a dreamil tool. And slightly flatten each end so they slide into the frame and tail motor assembly. Mine has never broken. Just twist the tail wire around the boom.
sideburn is offline Find More Posts by sideburn
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
Real world info. I have a MSR, 120sr and had a Super FP. I'm looking at eather a Nano or mCPx-V2. I hear the Mcpx-V2 has a issue with tail blow out but the Nano has a weak board and don't take crash's. I'll be flying in living room over winter and our black top parking lot with tunnel effect breazes (between a apartment building and apatment building gorages) in summer.

I'll be binding it to a DX6i. With were I'll be flying would the Mcp-x-V2 a better over all choice?

I thought about the 130X but I'm not ready for all the vereables with the aditional parts for the tail.
I can't speak for the MCPx, but I can for the Nano - Not sure where you've heard the board is weak and it can't take crashes - I've smashed my poor FrankenNano into just about every substance known to man (including asphalt from about 40ft up) and it keeps on ticking. It's a great little heli in spite of the guy behind the sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideburn View Post
In my opinion all you need is a metal swash and a solid boom. Just buy a 4' or however long they come 2mm carbon fiber rod. Cut them with a dreamil tool. And slightly flatten each end so they slide into the frame and tail motor assembly. Mine has never broken. Just twist the tail wire around the boom.
Thanks! I have two good motors, not sure why I didn't do this before. Thanks a lot!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:09 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Nice pics indoorheli, I think it's safe to say you're a Blade fan. I understand why, the stuff just works. I am struggling with clones right now, about to give up and buy a 450x, just too much money for what it is.
Yeah I definitely like their heli's and have flown almost every one they offer.

I just got that yellow one, though still haven't flown it yet.

If you look around you can get some pretty decent deals on a new 450x.

Speaking of costing too much money, I have a goblin on order
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed