HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:10 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1984 View Post
How does the Nano fly compared to a V911. I know its a different bird altogether but having my FP want to go CP but still have a stable heli.

I find the V911 easy to fly. Does the NCPX compare as such.
You're essentially attempting to compare apples and meat. Sort of like asking how a family sedan handles in comparison to a track-tuned sports car. Or, like comparing the handling of, say, a 3 channel trainer such as the UM Champ to that of a UM-sized, high-performance aerobatic plane such as the UM Sukhoi. The V911 essentially flies itself. The nCPX is a high-performance aerobatic heli. It's a highly-responsive, hands-on machine.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:46 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Microheli grips and swash plate installed (if you do install them be sure NOT to use the rubber o-rings, they are not needed). I also installed Boca bearings in the frame for the main shaft... SWEET... she is soooo smooth I couldn't ask for anything more (except for decent skids that do not break and also hold the battery secure ).
Have you considered AirtimeRCproducts skids? I've wailed on mine and haven't been able to break 'em.

http://youtu.be/6MkZDVKrpz4?t=4m59s
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2007
520 Posts
Don't need them. Paperclips became my posts, flies the same.

Not too pleased with my new Lynx blades though, like the orange color, but not nearly as tough as stock, crack easily. They improve flight though, I think.

Do like the aluminum tail motor holder, especially if you have changed to solid boom, like it because it clamps on tightly, no messing with glue on that end.

Next may be the alum. swash plate, but they are always backordered. Mine has broken all 3 arms off (glued) and the other day partially separated (top and bottom), but it snapped back together.

Like how you can take this thing apart quickly, straighten the feather shaft, make a few other fixes, put it back together and it flies so smooth.

2nd motor holding up much better than first one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
Mine too! I really hate having to buy a new frame just because a stupid little post snapped off, they really need a better design.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:59 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post

Next may be the alum. swash plate, but they are always backordered. Mine has broken all 3 arms off (glued) and the other day partially separated (top and bottom), but it snapped back together.
Lots of RKH and Microheli swashes on ebay right now. I hear you, I'm sick of gluing the balls back onto my plastic swash. I'm hoping good skids and a strong swashplate are going to make this thing considerably tougher. I've already done the music wire canopy mount mod, and solid tail boom, there's not much else left I can break.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined Feb 2007
520 Posts
If you are bored with the V911, I say get the nano, keep the V911. I got mine end of Sept., couldn't fly to well inside, still really can't (it is so quick), can get some turns in, fly back towards me and not crash, but not really circuits, like the V911 inside. Outside is great, starting to be comfortable with flips, need to learn inverted hover next and learn to get flips lower and quicker. Bad part is winter.

But overall it can hover very stable (hands off almost as much as V911). Give it a little jab of left aileron to level swashplate and it levels out and hovers very good.

I fly with just DX4e and am happy with it. Some expo can be turned on with dx4e (didn't know until recently), tried that and hated it. Too much mush on the sticks, went back to standard.

Just be prepared to buy some parts, fix stuff, but overall fairly tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ1984 View Post
How does the Nano fly compared to a V911. I know its a different bird altogether but having my FP want to go CP but still have a stable heli.

I find the V911 easy to fly. Does the NCPX compare as such.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:31 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,625 Posts
Hahahahaha!! I snuck out for a quick battery between things at work - DETERMINED to do something with my Nano that I couldn't do with my MSRx (never mind the fact that I still crash the stupid thing into the wall every chance I get). So, after a few laps around the office with *one* successful landing on the 1 foot diameter stool top, I figured it was time . . .

SO, out we went, the Nano and I. I thought back to the advice someone gave me before about getting inverted - something like:

Step 1: Run up throttle (Check!)
Step 2: Achieve lift off (Check!)
Step 3: DO not run into anything (Che . . .Wait, woah, woah, Get away from that tree, bush, GROUND, okay, I got it, Check!)
Step 4: Get REALLY HIGH in the air (I discovered later why I was never actually given this advice) Check . . NO, HIGHER! CHECK CHECK!!!!
Step 5: Maintain control of Heli even though it looks like a gnat right now (ummmmmm, still up there . . .I think . . . er, check?)
Step 6: Okay, all those really hard stick movements you aren't supposed to do inside but do anyway when you overreact to the smallest breath of air from the heater? Get ready buddy, here's your chance!!! (Check check check check check check!!!)
Step 7: Without removing your eyes from the gnat that is continuing to grow smaller, find the two magical switches that turn this thing (and hopefully the pilot) into the master acrobat it was designed to be. (Check, oh wait, that's the trainer switch, uncheck. Okay, got one. Now where the hell is the other one. Oh, here it is, right here, right next to this other nifty - OH CRAP - Where's the Gnat????? Oh, there it is, MUCH closer now - uh oh, go up go up go up, whew . . . . . CHECK)
Step 8: Deep steady breaths. It's only a couple hundred bucks to replace it, it's only money, it grows on trees . . . (check)
Step 9: While pulling back on the elevator (wait, not yet, wait till I finish!), simultaneously slam the pitch down as if you were cutting the throttle. Of course, you aren't cutting the throttle, which means whatever happens next isn't going to stop happening until you find that nifty little throttle hold button or until it runs into something. Okay - Here we go!!

At this point, the Nano, which is living up to its name at about 30,000 feet does the most amazing thing. It flips upside down . . .and stays there. . . Until I completely panic and hit throttle hold because I can't get it to flip back right side up, because I never really thought through step 10, which would, I suppose now, be the reverse of step 9.

The nano hit concrete with a resounding and heart shattering . . . shatter.

And now it has the shakes, though I suspect it is more emotional than mechanical. I'm not sure it really expected to have this kind of a life back when it was shiny and new and sitting in it's cozy little foam coccoon. What to do?

Well, hell, it's broken anyway - let's try it again!!!

You can pretty much reread the steps 1-9, leaving out step 4, which I decided wasn't a good idea at all. I managed a very brief and very shaky inverted hover before careening off into the asphalt again. I think my feathering spindle resembles a U turn sign right now, and I think it is my Nano's way of telling me to go back to whatever pit in hell I'm from and leave it the hell alone.

I gotta get more parts - this if FUN!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:42 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Hahahahaha!! I snuck out for a quick battery between things at work - DETERMINED to do something with my Nano that I couldn't do with my MSRx (never mind the fact that I still crash the stupid ...

... feathering spindle resembles a U turn sign right now, and I think it is my Nano's way of telling me to go back to whatever pit in hell I'm from and leave it the hell alone.

I gotta get more parts - this if FUN!
Thanks... that was a fun read! Glad there's someone else out there as good as I am ;-)

I have a fresh feathering shaft sitting right here from my last 'episode'.

Cheers, and good luck.
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:58 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Thats good you havent noticed the bounce with the msrx blades. Have you tried flying fast forward or reverse and stopping hard? For slow flying it wasnt bad at all and quite mellow flying. I still found the stock blades seemed to work better all around and even though it lacks a true FP experience it lacks most of the negatives of FP blades
I am flying indoors in my house only right now, its way too cold for outdoor flight around here, I tried and with a new battery, it crashed down into the snow even at full throttle after less than 30 seconds. Weatherman says we wont even get as warm as freezing until sometime next weekend (not the one coming up, the one 8 days from now)

So all i can really do is hover and fly around slowly unless I want chance crashing into stuff....
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
It is the same thought behind why most decide using FP blades, to get more of an FP mellow type flight with a CP heli. Though it also has a few other benefits like not needing to change blades, multiple flight mode capabilities and higher headspeed for higher stability yet retaining a mellow overall feel than straight up VP.

Sure it spills a bit more wind since the blades are symmetrical but it surprisingly doesnt use much more battery than the FP blades.
Yea I can see that. higher headspeed is always good. That's why I wonder why you would want a flat pitch curve and linear throttle curve with CP blades because then you would get the downside of FP, which is poor control when you lower the throttle to shed altitude. I guess though since it needs a higher headspeed to start, it wouldn't be as much a problem. As for battery life, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
Not to sound demeaning or anything in any way, but why are people purchasing the nano cpx and converting it to fixed pitch? Wouldn't it be a better option to buy the msrx instead???
Don't get me wrong here, the nano is a great little heli, but surely being a CP design wouldn't make it much of a good FP bird.

Battery life, if not for that, I wouldn't even consider it. The FP blades really use a LOT less battery power. Consider that with the stock blades, the heli will not even lift off the ground with 150mah 12C batteries, which I have a ton of. With the MSR blades the same battery gives 5 min flights easy. I also tried the 150mah 25C pack and got a good 8 min before it started losing power. The msrx blades aren't quite as good. the 12C batteries will allow it to lift off for around a minuet, and the 25C packs get 5-6 min before I notice a power loss. Mostly, this is just for futsing around indoors. Like I said above, it way too cold to even attempt to fly outdoors, and I certainly am not good enough to attempt any acrobatics indoors, so extended flight times are attractive, since I don't need the CP capabilities anyway.

As for not being a good FP bird, on the contrary, Its a great one, as it lacks the weirt flight charactaristics of the 45 degree flybar birds, and I am told even the MSRx has a few quirks....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
293 Posts
Finally have the hand of front and back flips to the point where I can do them indoor consistently. Now if I could just get the hang of inverted hover I'd be one happy cookie.
iTz Nicholas72 is online now Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:55 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Thanks... that was a fun read! Glad there's someone else out there as good as I am ;-)

I have a fresh feathering shaft sitting right here from my last 'episode'.

Cheers, and good luck.
J
Believe me, I'll make you look like a pro. Fixed wing guys like me have no business trying to make helicopters do things they don't want to do - or maybe that they want to do more than I want them to. Sometimes I'm not sure who's controlling who with this thing!

Down, Nano, DOWN!!!
whichwaysup is online now Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined Nov 2010
293 Posts
Broke my tail motor. Sucks having to buy a tailboom assembly after switching over to solid CF :/

Edit:
Never mind looks like I'll be buying a CCW MCX2 motor since its a common replacement for the MCPX.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:37 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Broke my tail motor. Sucks having to buy a tailboom assembly after switching over to solid CF :/
dont have the link, but someone at HF posted to use the CCW MCX motor as tail for the nano (have not tried this yet myself [only read it today] but it may be worth taking a closer look at)

(ultimately, the double BL that nanoheli built in Germany is the "ideal" nano anyway [for me not because of power ... I am lightyears away from even light 3D ... but because of ease of maintenance, weight, longer flight times and definitely longer motor life -even without cool down periods between flights])
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:58 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
Have you considered AirtimeRCproducts skids? I've wailed on mine and haven't been able to break 'em.
I do have the Airtime skids, those are the ones I am referring to as not holding my batteries tight anymore They are quite indestructible but I have to use some tape to secure the battery tight for every flight which is getting quite annoying... but if i don't tape the batt then ye olde tail be wagging in my face
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:59 PM
Joined Nov 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
dont have the link, but someone at HF posted to use the CCW MCX motor as tail for the nano (have not tried this yet myself [only read it today] but it may be worth taking a closer look at)

(ultimately, the double BL that nanoheli built in Germany is the "ideal" nano anyway [for me not because of power ... I am lightyears away from even light 3D ... but because of ease of maintenance, weight, longer flight times and definitely longer motor life -even without cool down periods between flights])
Replied before I edited my post...

Going to give this a shot tomorrow provided we have some CCW MCX2 main motor left. Now if only there was something I could use as a swap for the stock motor since its still on backorder :/
Old Jan 03, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2012
502 Posts
They had some in stock at red rocket hobbies, I got several things there that were on backorder at horizon.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head