HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
Aphro's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
If you are on the Phoenix SIM...

Make sure you make a copy of the mcpx and change the settings to 100% Advanced. Then go into the detailed section and change the Flybar to Passive (for some odd reason the default is Active). Then it will fly quite similar to the real thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTz Nicholas72 View Post
Think I'm going to be getting a Nano and a DX6i for Christmas. Can fly the 120SR tail back no problem and I'm just starting to get the hang of canopy towards me and realistic forward flight with banked turns and all.

I've been flying the MCPx on the sim because its the smallest and what I'm guessing is most similar to the Nano. Any settings I should tweak or another model I should practice with?
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Augernaut
Wookster's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Thanks. I did say that in my opinion, a 450 is pushing it. I wouldn't even chance it with my 300X if there was a possibility of people showing up, nor would I fly my UMX planes in that situation. It is simply not worth the risk.

I am even nervous about flying my 300X & UMX planes in the cul-de-sac because one of my neighbors has very young kids. I won't fly the 300X & UMX planes there when their kids are playing in the yard because they've ran out into the street a few times while I was flying my mCPX & 1s planes. That was already bad enough.

Joel
I wouldn't worry too much about the UMX micros. They are essentially harmless. I've taken a few to the face at an indoor fly-in. The prop doesnt exactly tickle, but it seems as soon as the prop strikes anything the motor makes a weird noise and she's done. it seems to lack the follow through of say, putting your thumb tip in a spinning nitro prop (not that I'd know what thats like )
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the UMX micros. They are essentially harmless. I've taken a few to the face at an indoor fly-in. The prop doesnt exactly tickle, but it seems as soon as the prop strikes anything the motor makes a weird noise and she's done. it seems to lack the follow through of say, putting your thumb tip in a spinning nitro prop (not that I'd know what thats like )
I am concerned about young kids entering my flight area because my UMX Sbach can hit 50+ MPH & my Beast can easily get into the 40s. (I fly on 3s.) A 2.6-oz plane hitting a young kid @ 45-50 MPH would likely cause injury - something I am not willing to risk. I'd bet that most young kids would run home crying if they got hit with a Sukhoi XP or mCPX - even if they didn't get physically injured. I don't want to be known as the guy who made the neighbor kid run home to his/her folks crying. Besides - incidents like that really hurt our image even when nobody gets hurt.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
Registered User
lkagan's Avatar
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Now that I have the throttle hold switch ingrained into my habits, I've noticed at times it will not shut off right away.. I find that if the motor is strained but still moving (blades skittering across the floor or carpet) it won't cut off until it has eased up or stopped by another object. At times it took up to 5 seconds to cut after the switch was was hit.

Still waiting for the mild BL kit to arrive.. Can't wait!
Same here.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I am concerned about young kids entering my flight area because my UMX Sbach can hit 50+ MPH & my Beast can easily get into the 40s. (I fly on 3s.)
Joel
Great now I might need to go get an Sbach
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:37 PM
Augernaut
Wookster's Avatar
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I am concerned about young kids entering my flight area because my UMX Sbach can hit 50+ MPH & my Beast can easily get into the 40s. (I fly on 3s.) A 2.6-oz plane hitting a young kid @ 45-50 MPH would likely cause injury - something I am not willing to risk. I'd bet that most young kids would run home crying if they got hit with a Sukhoi XP or mCPX - even if they didn't get physically injured. I don't want to be known as the guy who made the neighbor kid run home to his/her folks crying. Besides - incidents like that really hurt our image even when nobody gets hurt.

Joel
Ehh, I take a different approach. I don't want to be the guy who packs up and leaves when the kids come. I talk to them, let them know what I'm doing, and answer their questions. I've made a couple youngins day with a buddy box. A micro plane isn't going to hurt our image, its the best recruiting tool this hobby has ever had. I do boy scout and youth demos. So every thing that I fly near them gets the ol "Wookster sticks his hand in the spinning part" test. Micros pass the test, UMX pass the test, nCPX passes, the Mcpx does not. In Fact the whole reason I got the nCPX was to fit that indoor demo need without the fear of hurting the kiddos. Of course now I'm flying it inverted and loving it, but as a close quarter flight demo, its the best thing out there.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:08 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
Ehh, I take a different approach. I don't want to be the guy who packs up and leaves when the kids come. I talk to them, let them know what I'm doing, and answer their questions. I've made a couple youngins day with a buddy box. A micro plane isn't going to hurt our image, its the best recruiting tool this hobby has ever had. I do boy scout and youth demos. So every thing that I fly near them gets the ol "Wookster sticks his hand in the spinning part" test. Micros pass the test, UMX pass the test, nCPX passes, the Mcpx does not. In Fact the whole reason I got the nCPX was to fit that indoor demo need without the fear of hurting the kiddos. Of course now I'm flying it inverted and loving it, but as a close quarter flight demo, its the best thing out there.
The post you quoted is part of a series. If you go back & read my original post on the topic along with my subsequent posts, you will understand the context of my statement.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
JLink125's Avatar
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,262 Posts
" A micro plane isn't going to hurt our image, its the best recruiting tool this hobby has ever had"

Anything be it plane, heli, quadrotor, whatever it is, if it creates a negative situation i.e. hitting someone or doing some sort of damage even a really tiny scratch on someones car does create a negative image. Nearly everyone these days is so freakin hyper-sensative any little thing can easily get blown up into a big deal. However I think we all agree that safety no matter what we fly is a good practice. I fly my Nano's in my condo complex all the time and people like to watch I just don't fly in that direction even though they usually stand by me and ask all sorts of questions. Ok anyway back on topic, just got my new Logo XXTREME700 body for my BL nano and I have a Goblin body coming in the mail! I will post pics when I'm finished painting.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Now that I have the throttle hold switch ingrained into my habits, I've noticed at times it will not shut off right away.. I find that if the motor is strained but still moving (blades skittering across the floor or carpet) it won't cut off until it has eased up or stopped by another object. At times it took up to 5 seconds to cut after the switch was was hit.

Still waiting for the mild BL kit to arrive.. Can't wait!
I had this happen last night with a brand new Nano. In my case it was because I messed up my charged vs. non-charged lipos. The lipo I had in it was actually already spent (@ or below max discharge) so the 3-in-1 didn't even have enough juice to talk to the Tx or something and the motor did exactly what you described.

Once I realized and tried a fresh battery everything was normal again and I never had any recurrences.

Maybe my disorganization might help someone else not think they have a bigger problem.

Cheers,
J
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
whichwaysup's Avatar
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Great now I might need to go get an Sbach
Um, yes. You do. Check out the BRILLIANT hover contest going on right now on the Sbach 3D thread. If that doesn't get you excited, nothing will.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Jam-ehz's Avatar
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Sep 2004
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
I had this happen last night with a brand new Nano. In my case it was because I messed up my charged vs. non-charged lipos. The lipo I had in it was actually already spent (@ or below max discharge) so the 3-in-1 didn't even have enough juice to talk to the Tx or something and the motor did exactly what you described.

Once I realized and tried a fresh battery everything was normal again and I never had any recurrences.

Maybe my disorganization might help someone else not think they have a bigger problem.

Cheers,
J
Come to think of it, it did happen with one of my crappier Nanotech 160's near the end of its flight life.

It's great that even though it may happen, it's rock solid.. I've only broken a skid so far..
Jam-ehz is offline Find More Posts by Jam-ehz
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
Registered User
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam-ehz View Post
Come to think of it, it did happen with one of my crappier Nanotech 160's near the end of its flight life.

It's great that even though it may happen, it's rock solid.. I've only broken a skid so far..


I've broken a skid or two. A friend ordered me one of those indestructible skids. I've had it sitting here for a couple months now - can't put the darn thing together it's so darn indestructible! The thing is so precisely cut that I can't push the bits together and my pliers just seem to eat the material. So, I just recently told him he has to put them together for me ;-).

Cheers,
J
uberjay is offline Find More Posts by uberjay
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:17 PM
west coast flyer
emeraldc's Avatar
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
Just got my'n. 2nd flight & my elevator servo is stuck in full forward any suggestions?
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:23 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldc View Post
Just got my'n. 2nd flight & my elevator servo is stuck in full forward any suggestions?
I see you are in Canada so the normal response of take two aspirins and call HH in the morning might not help you.. But unless you get better advice give it a try..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:31 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldc View Post
Just got my'n. 2nd flight & my elevator servo is stuck in full forward any suggestions?
Is it possible to unstick it by turning the gear with your finger? That has worked for me in the past with these little linear servos.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Walkera MiNi CP - Smallest 100 sized 3D helicopter zadaw Micro Helis 5753 Today 10:01 AM
Discussion is there anything better than mcpx v2 at same or smaller size? Legendary_Agent 3D Electric Heli Flying 33 Feb 24, 2012 09:46 PM
Question Whatís Better than a Blade CP and Smaller than a Trex? HavingFun2002 Micro Helis 74 Mar 05, 2006 06:07 PM