HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:39 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
A responsible flyer should never need to worry about people walking through the area while they are flying since the heli should already be on the ground if anyone comes remotely near the pilot. (this is no matter the size of the heli)

If people are aware of their surroundings and choose an acceptable area to fly within their limits and do it with common sense everything can be just fine.

The real issue is irresponsible people flying helis unsafely and without concerns of what circumstances they might run into while flying.
nicely said
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
A responsible flyer should never need to worry about people walking through the area while they are flying since the heli should already be on the ground if anyone comes remotely near the pilot. (this is no matter the size of the heli)

If people are aware of their surroundings and choose an acceptable area to fly within their limits and do it with common sense everything can be just fine.

The real issue is irresponsible people flying helis unsafely and without concerns of what circumstances they might run into while flying.
Very true. However - even when one is flying in public responsibly, it is quite possible for people (especially younger kids), to suddenly dart into your flying (and landing) area from beyond your peripheral view. I had it happen to me on a few occasions back when I used to fly the UM Sukhoi XP, mCPX, and other 1s UMs in the high-school parking lot near my old place. Each time, I was flying the XP. Fortunately, a couple of the older boys who often stopped by to watch me fly quickly whisked the kids back behind our imaginary flight-line. I would never have considered flying anything larger than my 1s UM planes or mCPX there.

We often talk about the downsides of flying in public places, but there is a very important upside to flying UM-sizes planes & helis in school lots. It is an excellent opportunity to introduce a kid to the hobby!

I ended up with a group of regulars at the school lot above. They just came out of the woodwork whenever I flew there. But they knew the rules, and they always stayed behind the flightline. Many times, kids would come back with their folks to find out what they needed to buy to learn. I always recommended the UM Champ and a sim. The coolest things I've ever had happen to me in this hobby were the times when a kid who used to hang out would stop by to tell me that their folks bought them a Champ & that they had learned to fly.

Nothing in this hobby will put a smile on your face quite like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
A good point to remember! Whenever you fly in a public place, you are representing the hobby to everyone who sees you, whether you like it or not!
And you also make an excellent point!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Well I've never seen in any of the charters regardless of country, that if you are below a certain weight class you can fly at and around people. So the rest is common sense. But laws come into play when common sense isn't exercised or the best intensions to do no harm doesn't go as planned.

To the comments about the nCPXs' stability????
Think old school approach where you didn't have a choice but to jump right in with CP learning with a hands on step by step approach. It was a Nitro 30 or 50 that just was what it was and you learnt how to fly them.
So stable and unstable is all relative not the Heli's fault; granted adjustments are always welcome and predictable control is necessary. The 3D insane demos clearly show this heli is well within that realm.

Because of this I was so surprised how stable and easy the nCPX was to fly doing all sorts of stuff. Its size obviously makes it more susceptible to wind.

So persevere; add more expo or rates if it helps but I have never been able to dump a Heli so many times unharmed, get up and just try again. If I tried doing half the stuff I do on my nCPX, I'd be pouring tons money into repairs.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:06 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
MB,

I have the 11X as well, and expo to tame it around the center should be positive not negative. You seem way too experienced to be confused on a point like that, so I'm assuming it was just a typo? But if not, somehow, it would certainly make it a handful to hover.

Bill
Hey Bill,
It is not a typo, I do have negative expo to make the helicopter feel like my larger machines. The positive expo tamed the machine to a numb at stick center, and thats not what I personally like, but your mileage may vary. Bringing the endpoint to 60% did really help for me and expo to negative makes it feel like a very large helicopter. My issue was the fast non-linear roll/pitch rates of this heli, in my large helis the body rolls and pitches at a very constant rate. Then the heli itself takes like 2 seconds to get going at any speed, and because of that it gives plenty of time to adjust. The negative expo with short end point makes it feel more like that.

Bill, I might be experienced in your eyes, but the truth is I am not, I haven't flown in 2 years, and having mostly scale flying experience doesn't help me much when attempting to fly this helicopter at any other speed besides snail pace, and that's not entertaining at all, as I didn't purchase it to fly like my scale helis.

-J_skaggs:

The scale heli is really fun to fly too, but not something you can spool up inside your house like the nano. Trying to get into flying again but without having to haul 5 helis, 3 chargers, toolboxes, batteries and pack the car for a day to drive for 1/2 hour to the field.

Cheers.
MB.
Minibichus is offline Find More Posts by Minibichus
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:15 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
To make things even worse, some of the coaxials they sell at Radio Shack are HUGE, and most of them are being flown by total beginners. They call them "Spy-copters" because they have built-in cameras. That is one seriously dangerous toy.
True, but remember that coaxials have half the RPM on each rotor due to having two sets of lifting blades. And larger blade means lower RPM, therefore most of those large toys while still somewhat dangerous, they are nowhere near as dangerous as a high performance 450 machine with two ~325mm carbon fiber machetes spinning @ ~3500 RPM.

MB.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
So crash into some stuff and make it entertaining.
J/K
I'm pretty sure any one watching me is thinking, "wow, that must be hard! It sure crashes a lot!"
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Very true. However - even when one is flying in public responsibly, it is quite possible for people (especially younger kids), to suddenly dart into your flying (and landing) area from beyond your peripheral view.
A responsible flyer of a larger heli would/should think of things such as the possiblity of this happening and make steps to make it not able to happen. This goes along with what I said previously "the real issue is irresponsible people flying larger heli's unsafely and without concerns of what circumstances they might run into while flying"

Quote:
We often talk about the downsides of flying in public places, but there is a very important upside to flying UM-sizes planes & helis in school lots. It is an excellent opportunity to introduce a kid to the hobby!

I ended up with a group of regulars at the school lot above. They just came out of the woodwork whenever I flew there. But they knew the rules, and they always stayed behind the flightline. Many times, kids would come back with their folks to find out what they needed to buy to learn. I always recommended the UM Champ and a sim. The coolest things I've ever had happen to me in this hobby were the times when a kid who used to hang out would stop by to tell me that their folks bought them a Champ & that they had learned to fly.

Nothing in this hobby will put a smile on your face quite like that.

And you also make an excellent point!

Joel
I also find that park flying all my heli's and planes around it gives plenty of chances to introduce others to the hobby. After I land and they start to get near they usually ask lots of questions and almost always want me to fly again after I explain what they need to know when i am flying

Too bad I didnt bring my nano to work today as I seem to have a lot of free time. Probably could have flown 10-20 batteries by now
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Dec 18, 2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Jun 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
.... I have often thought that the mQX is likely the best single-rotor heli trainer out there. ....
Joel
??
My search of mQX shows a quad-copter. Is there another mQX?
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:02 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post
True, but remember that coaxials have half the RPM on each rotor due to having two sets of lifting blades. And larger blade means lower RPM, therefore most of those large toys while still somewhat dangerous, they are nowhere near as dangerous as a high performance 450 machine with two ~325mm carbon fiber machetes spinning @ ~3500 RPM.
Yes it's true the head speed is much lower, but they are so big, heavy, and powerful. There is one in there that is almost 4 feet long. I cringe when I see one of these monsters hovering a few feet off the ground, and there are a bunch of kids and dogs crowded all around.

I get a chuckle every time I see those toys stacked up in the store. There are many brands and they range from pocket size to big. However all of them are packaged in the same manner, which cleverly hides the upper blades and flybar, making them look more like a real helicopter.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Yes it's true the head speed is much lower, but they are so big, heavy, and powerful. There is one in there that is almost 4 feet long. I cringe when I see one of these monsters hovering a few feet off the ground, and there are a bunch of kids and dogs crowded all around.

I get a chuckle every time I see those toys stacked up in the store. There are many brands and they range from pocket size to big. However all of them are packaged in the same manner, which cleverly hides the upper blades and flybar, making them look more like a real helicopter.
Marketing at its finest for sure! However, no shame in flying a coax man, I learn all my upside orientations and flight directions thanks to an MCX.

I have some interesting settings that perhaps non advanced pilots like me might like to try on their nCPXs. I was wondering if someone would like to try them out and see how they feel about it. (No typos here)

For the AILE & ELEV - DR: 5% EXP: -85%
For the tail I will present this setting as an alternative:
RUDD - DR: 100% EXP: 5%
But this is what I personally ended up settling for rudder in my radio:
*RUDD - DR: 125% EXP L:-55% R:-45%

With those settings I feel it flies more like my 450 and I think it makes it way more predictable and controllable, considering how it was with the 100% LIN on all axis.

Let me know if you guys like it.

Cheers.
MB.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:20 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
??
My search of mQX shows a quad-copter. Is there another mQX?
Yup - it's a quad. Nevertheless, it is still likely the best single-rotor heli trainer out there for the reasons that both of us we stated.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 07:30 PM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minibichus View Post

For the AILE & ELEV - DR: 5% EXP: -85%
For the tail I will present this setting as an alternative:
RUDD - DR: 100% EXP: 5%
But this is what I personally ended up settling for rudder in my radio:
*RUDD - DR: 125% EXP L:-55% R:-45%
Cheers.
MB.
Played at home with these (living room) and it made the heli way too slow for the confined space of the living room. (those settings worked great for a large conference room at work) So I bumped the DR back up to 50% and the DR down to -45%. I think I'll stay with those settings as they offer a good blend of numbness and agility.

Hope this helps.

MB.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:18 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
307 Posts
Wow, those are certainly some unique settings. I get the bit about not wanting it to feel too numb around the center. I like 100% and no more than 30% expo for that reason. But maybe I'll try a low max and some negative for kicks some day. I don't have to like it, but I might as well try it.
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Nano blues... I just received my new "indestructible" Canadian skids in the mail... I assembled them and in my haste to install them I accidentally broke one of my servo connection right off of the board

Now I am grounded until I micro solder the servo connector back on my board... it seems like it is always something with this little guy
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:26 AM
MB-Commander
Joined Feb 2008
2,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Nano blues... I just received my new "indestructible" Canadian skids in the mail... I assembled them and in my haste to install them I accidentally broke one of my servo connection right off of the board

Now I am grounded until I micro solder the servo connector back on my board... it seems like it is always something with this little guy
Sorry to hear.

MB.