SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldc View Post
Great post, except that a 450 is definetly to large to fly anywhere there's a possibility of people being around.
Continuing the discussion of where to fly and how to learn to fly, I wanted to let folks know that the RCHeliNation podcast just had a couple of episodes where they talked a lot about these two topics:

http://www.rchelination.com/rchn-v-2...-flying-field/

http://www.rchelination.com/rchn-v-2...twice-the-fun/

and the 3rd episode in this series that just came out this week is supposed to cover more of these topics but I haven't listened to it yet. Episode 63 I think talked about good exercises for learning to hover and do circuits.

http://www.rchelination.com/rchn-v-2...rtual-bad-boy/
RoboHeli is online now Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,657 Posts
Quote:
Great post, except that a 450 is definetly to large to fly anywhere there's a possibility of people being around.
Thanks. I did say that in my opinion, a 450 is pushing it. I wouldn't even chance it with my 300X if there was a possibility of people showing up, nor would I fly my UMX planes in that situation. It is simply not worth the risk.

I am even nervous about flying my 300X & UMX planes in the cul-de-sac because one of my neighbors has very young kids. I won't fly the 300X & UMX planes there when their kids are playing in the yard because they've ran out into the street a few times while I was flying my mCPX & 1s planes. That was already bad enough.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
IMO anywhere someone is willing to fly a 300x a 450 isnt enough of a difference to matter.

I have always flown my 450's in backyards at parks and baseball fields while being safety conscious.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:31 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
IMO anywhere someone is willing to fly a 300x a 450 isnt enough of a difference to matter.

I have always flown my 450's in backyards at parks and baseball fields while being safety conscious.
Your right there's not enough of a difference between a 300 & 450, they could both cause serious injury even death. Therefore neither should be flown in a place where there's a chance of someone else appearing in that space.
IMO, the 130x is the max size that should be flown in a insecured public place, and even then with caution.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:54 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,938 Posts
To make things even worse, some of the coaxials they sell at Radio Shack are HUGE, and most of them are being flown by total beginners. They call them "Spy-copters" because they have built-in cameras. That is one seriously dangerous toy.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:03 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Your right there's not enough of a difference between a 300 & 450, they could both cause serious injury even death. Therefore neither should be flown in a place where there's a chance of someone else appearing in that space.
IMO, the 130x is the max size that should be flown in a insecured public place, and even then with caution.
One thing wonderful about opinions is everyone has one

IMO the 130x is the most dangerous park flyer of them all. Mainly becuase they are so small the user and the public dont view them as a threat. You could poke someones eye out with that thing.

On 300-450's as long as the flyer is safety conscious and able to fly the heli, uses common sense and flys within their limits, I see nothing wrong with park flying them..of course thats only my opinion
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:27 PM
EDF Junkie
Pacific Northwest
Joined Oct 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
+1

That's how I approach it. I don't like flying the bigger stuff anyplace the bystanders aren't aware of the dangers and have no clue how to act. I know that at the club field everyone is aware that you don't walk into an active flying space. That's not the case at a park. I was flying my mCPx at a park one day and 4 guys walked up and started a football game where I was flying. I guess they decided that since I wasn't using the ground in the flying area that they could. I just packed up and went home. I'm not flying anything, no matter how small, over anyone.

I look at some of the irresponsible flying and can only conclude:

The pilot doesn't own much and therefore has nothing to lose in the forthcoming lawsuit if they do injure someone.

Parks = Parents and kids. Injured kids = Angry parents. I know how PO'd I'd be if someone injured one of my kids. I don't want another parent feeling that way toward me. Plus I'd feel terrible if I hurt anyone. It's not a chance I want to take.

My personal limit is the mCPx. I don't even fly the 130 X at a park.
NwRcFlight is offline Find More Posts by NwRcFlight
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:49 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
A responsible flyer should never need to worry about people walking through the area while they are flying since the heli should already be on the ground if anyone comes remotely near the pilot. (this is no matter the size of the heli)

If people are aware of their surroundings and choose an acceptable area to fly within their limits and do it with common sense everything can be just fine.

The real issue is irresponsible people flying helis unsafely and without concerns of what circumstances they might run into while flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Since this is a Nano thread, let me mention that it IS possible to draw blood with even a Nano! I took one to the face while flying indoors recently, yikes! Just a scrape but a good reminder to be careful even with the little ones.
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datura View Post
Since this is a Nano thread, let me mention that it IS possible to draw blood with even a Nano! I took one to the face while flying indoors recently, yikes! Just a scrape but a good reminder to be careful even with the little ones.
You should always take some 600 wet and dry sandpaper and round over the edges of the blades to get rid of the razor sharp edge from them molding them..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:11 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
make it brushless...then it really can get you

Often while flying indoors I will wear sunglasses when i am trying tricky stuff close to me. Last thing I want is a nano blade to the eye
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:17 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
The real issue is irresponsible people flying helis unsafely and without concerns of what circumstances they might run into while flying.
Well put, and hence my comment about the big helis they sell at Radio Shack that are designed to fly over your neighbor's hot tub.

I am fortunate to live right across the street from a soccer field/oval track. In the winter I have it all to myself. In the summer it gets used by many people but I can just look out the window and pick my opportunities.

One day last summer, I looked out and there were 2 planes in the air! That is a pretty momentous moment where I live, and I dashed over to talk to them. When I arrived, there was a T28 on the ground and some kind of Cub in the air that was about 36" wingspan. The guy with the T28 told me it was his friend's first flight, and his friend was doing very well.

We were cheering on the beginner and saying "Good job man" and all that, and suddenly the wing fell off. The rubber bands that came in the box were junk. The fuselage did a major lawn-dart and the wing took forever to flutter down to the ground. Fortunately, there were only the 3 of us there that day. If that thing would have hit somebody (or even came close) my days of flying in that field would be over.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2012
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Fortunately, there were only the 3 of us there that day. If that thing would have hit somebody (or even came close) my days of flying in that field would be over.
A good point to remember! Whenever you fly in a public place, you are representing the hobby to everyone who sees you, whether you like it or not!
datura is offline Find More Posts by datura
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:26 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,772 Posts
Quote:
A good point to remember! Whenever you fly in a public place, you are representing the hobby to everyone who sees you, whether you like it or not!
So crash into some stuff and make it entertaining.

J/K
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Dec 18, 2012, 02:31 PM
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
So crash into some stuff and make it entertaining.
Well put! you have eloquently stated the red-neck side of this hobby that will eventually get us all banned.