HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:25 PM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
I bought myself the new Thunder Tiger Mini Titan e325s FBL to put under the tree

I can fly my 120sr inside & outside, and been putting lots of sim time in, but decided that it would be wise to get a micro to master first, cause I really don't want to spend my time waiting for parts & fixing my MT. So I got one of these, and grabed the last spare motor that my shop had as that seems to be the main issue I've found on this thread so far, but I'm still skimming through the posts.
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
727 Posts
Bought a used nano from ebay. Bound it to my DX8 and used all the settings provided from spektrum, Flies kinda ok in normal mode but in 1 or 2 it wanted to vibrate apart, Checked a few things and found that the feathering shaft was bent. Swapped feathering shafts and the vibration is better but this thing is very unstable and is all over the place. Tail wobbles like mad. Are these things supposed to be like this or what? I have an MCPX V2 and its like a dream compared to this nano
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,225 Posts
Main motor could be on the way out, when mine did the tail wouldn't hold at all. This little heli needs a high head speed, if it gets too low due to a dying motor or whatever the tail becomes almost uncontrollable.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:40 PM
3d Master in Training
United States, PA, Tunkhannock
Joined Dec 2011
727 Posts
sounds like its up to full speed it can rocket straight up np just very unstable and the tail is wobbling side to side bad
garrettt04s is offline Find More Posts by garrettt04s
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:13 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
U sure it's solid? The wires still going through it.
Man you got me! Sorry for the slip up. I was rushing around heading back to work and I won't go into the issues my wife and I are dealing with for my dad. One of those days with him. That's why I flew and fixed the Heli, to unwind a bit before work.

I just looked at it again close, not at the end, obviously the wires are inside (Duh) but what threw me was it doesn't look like the original to me. It looks smaller diameter and the fit in the hole was looser. In fact it would not stay in without the adhesive, it would be wobbling around and rotating. Seems so much smoother and shiny. Without thinking about the wires I thought, Hey that's like the solid CF rod I put on the mCPX!

I will definitely Edit my post!

On a lighter note, I got two flights in at work tonight to show my assistant how it flies. I wanted to flip it so bad, but the carpet is not padded. There are also hard wood desk units and fire safes lined up on the opposite of the desks. About 5 ft between them. I had height but not width and I have never flipped indoors yet. Was not going to ruin my brand new boom that quick.

Tail wag was gone with the new boom...
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,225 Posts
Hmm, well it could be a bad tail motor too but some things to check would be...

1. Pull the head off and check if the main shaft rotates true ( I had a bent one)
2. Make sure your swashplate is level and moves strait
3. Check all connections to the board especially where the motor plugs are
4. Put some rubber grommets on all the swash and head links ( it really helped get the wobble and slop out of the head)

Just some general things to check without spending a lot of cash.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:34 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
Bought a used nano from ebay. Bound it to my DX8 and used all the settings provided from spektrum, Flies kinda ok in normal mode but in 1 or 2 it wanted to vibrate apart, Checked a few things and found that the feathering shaft was bent. Swapped feathering shafts and the vibration is better but this thing is very unstable and is all over the place. Tail wobbles like mad. Are these things supposed to be like this or what? I have an MCPX V2 and its like a dream compared to this nano
I had the mCPX V2 and the Nano flies like a dream compared to the way it did.

So I see you are getting some good things to check over here, so hope you find it.

Look at the main Shaft, at the top, take the blades and head off and watch it run looking down from the top. View it from the side too. Hold the head and using the main gear on the bottom, gently see if there is flexing, too much twist, (splintered main shaft). And the usual make sure no top to bottom slop, should be next to nothing on play up and down on the main shaft, otherwise the ring on top half of the shaft or the main gear on bottom has slipped. Make sure the two screws that hold the main board to the frame are not loose and the board is not vibrating, instead of being secured solid to the frame. Can false out the Gyros.

These are just things I ran into on the mCPX all the time. Same checks apply here. I have cut my parts expenditures and maintenance way down flying the Nano. About 1/3rd of what I spent on parts and time on the mCPX. I'm still flying the original Bullet blades too. Up to 42 flights now and it has been my learning tool. Only second Heli since June. So it has had occasional smacks into walls. TH saves the day usually.

Oh, and don't have the tension on the FS too tight, needs some slop and the blades need to be floppy.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:39 PM
fernie bc canada
Joined Dec 2009
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Interesting thought; however, the same transmitter is working fine on my mCPX just tonight even. And after the last warranty repair it came back and the same transmitter was working fine for awhile.

I guess maybe I just have to learn not to crash ;-)

The kicker is that I see my buddies crashing their nanos worse than I do and they pop them up and take off again like nothing happened. Mine just falls out of the sky whenever it decides to go into failsafe mode .

Lucky me.
did you figure this out ?
I assume you tried to rebind , always the first place to start ...
joliecoeur13 is offline Find More Posts by joliecoeur13
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,859 Posts
Just re tensioned my FS and as I suspected, my Bullet Blades have an elongated hole in them where the screw goes through. One is worse than the other, which was probably causing my shudder through the spool up and down.

I tightened the FS a touch and stuck the straight blades on.

Flew a test flight in the room and got 7:30 minutes just hovering on St1 and 2, a few pumps thrown in once and awhile. I was scaring the dog, wife and child, so that was all I could get away with. Pretty smooth running this time with the new straight blades. Going to see if I can get some Flipping time in on them outside soon. See how I like them. Much less loading on the motor to run that long. Usually I get 4:30 max indoors.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:07 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
323 Posts
Has anyone tried Plastruct Plastic Weld on broken skids? This stuff partially dissolves plastic and then you can stick it back together, sort of like a slow-motion heat repair. I have been fortunate enough not to break any yet, but I did break the tail fin on mCPX. One of the little "fingers" split off, so I glued it with this stuff. I figured it would break again when I snapped the fin back on, but it didn't and it's holding great. I've always regarded flexible plastic as un-glue-able, but perhaps I just hadn't tried the right stuff.

I got it at my local hardware store, but there's a link below to at least show you what I've been using. I'll report back if/when I snap some.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1508216...Types&var=sbar.
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:23 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Just re tensioned my FS and as I suspected, my Bullet Blades have an elongated hole in them where the screw goes through. One is worse than the other, which was probably causing my shudder through the spool up and down.

I tightened the FS a touch and stuck the straight blades on.

Flew a test flight in the room and got 7:30 minutes just hovering on St1 and 2, a few pumps thrown in once and awhile. I was scaring the dog, wife and child, so that was all I could get away with. Pretty smooth running this time with the new straight blades. Going to see if I can get some Flipping time in on them outside soon. See how I like them. Much less loading on the motor to run that long. Usually I get 4:30 max indoors.
What are these straight blades that you speak of?

Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:23 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
What are these straight blades that you speak of?

Jim
The other set that comes with the Nano, the Non Bullet blades. Also called 3D Blades. When I said straight, I was referring to the LE, no Bullets.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettt04s View Post
There is something wrong still with it. Something out of balance somewhere. Several of us have the heli's and you can have them hovering hands off for several seconds in the air. So they can be quite stable in that sense. but they are still very sensitive and twitchy and can get away from you quick, if you aren't ready for it.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:14 AM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,771 Posts
I had a Nano with tail wobbles and when I called Horizon Hobby they said to give the feathering shaft a little slack. The guy actually said to be able to have about 1mm of play between the blade grips. Now, I imagine that's probably overkill, but I did that to both of my Nanos and I do not have any tail wag nor do I have any "wet dog shakes" when I spool down after landing. If I tightened up the feathering shaft nut until it was snug (but not overly tight) I got some in-flight vibrations on one, tail wag on the other, and both had the shakes when I zero'd out the throttle on landing.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:14 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,859 Posts
Well definitely already proved the Tailboom I have is hollow.... Got 8 more flights in tonight.

Everything was going wrong this afternoon when I got home from a one day road trip. I was uncoordinated and out of sync on the Sticks. Also was messed up in everything I did on the bench working on it.

Forward Flipped it in the back yard, forgot I was on low rates and buried it nose first on the canopy windshield. Had a bad vibe after that. Bent the FS real good, first time for my Nano.

Then I discovered I was missing the two blade screws! I looked everywhere with an LED flashlight, nothing. I checked on the motor and the tailmotor from the old boom laying on the bench, nothing. I remembered hearing a Snap when I was working on it, so kept looking for the screws on the motor. Finally thought, wait a minute! Looked on the rear of the tailmotor and there they were, stuck to the rear of the tailmotor on the end of the boom. Perfectly inline and not easily noticed.

Put the 3D Blades on and shot a test flight in the garage since it was dark by now and raining too...

Now I have a bad Tail Kickout to the left, turning the Nano to the right sharply when I go Negative Pitch and let it freefall. (Only when on ST2). On my old mCPX, it would do that when I would pump Positive Pitch. I'm only running 75+/70- Pitch indoors. I lost it the first time I let it drop fast, turned and the nose pitched up.

Wondering if the Kickout is just with the 3D Blades, don't remember having the problem with the Bullet Blades on? Going to slightly loosen the FS nut and retest. If still there, will go back to the Bullet Blades and test.

Blade Nano CPX Garage Wall Bashing (4 min 33 sec)
Last edited by heritageflyer; Dec 15, 2012 at 07:19 PM.