HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 04:55 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly View Post
I agree completely..... Working towards that goal slowly. HP06s motor, double FET modded 3.5A ESC with BLHeli, signal converter to tail servo, homemade tail unit and kevlar belt drive. She's got power, but keeps breaking belts.
How does she fly?
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
maybe one of you guys can help? nano will only bind in computer mode with dx4e, 3 bad boards right now...:/
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=475321
uphillteddy is offline Find More Posts by uphillteddy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:02 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,572 Posts
uphillteddy: That's a weird one. I replied in the HeliFreak thread.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
After reading about the durability of the nano, I am disappointed. ADuring my 8th flight I noticed that the tile motor was not horizontal. At first I thought it had twisted in the socket but then discovered that the boom was split. Then I found a crack in the canopy. I am flying in a carpeted room, am quick on the throttle hold and did not notice hitting anything very hard. I did sideswipe a table leg so it probably happened then. In almost 180 flights with my mSR X I broke one tail boom and never cracked the canopy. And that was as a total newbie in a smaller room with more obstacles. C’est la vie!
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
After reading about the durability of the nano, I am disappointed. ADuring my 8th flight I noticed that the tile motor was not horizontal. At first I thought it had twisted in the socket but then discovered that the boom was split. Then I found a crack in the canopy. I am flying in a carpeted room, am quick on the throttle hold and did not notice hitting anything very hard. I did sideswipe a table leg so it probably happened then. In almost 180 flights with my mSR X I broke one tail boom and never cracked the canopy. And that was as a total newbie in a smaller room with more obstacles. Cíest la vie!
Well love it or hate it your a Nano Pilot now! Try the solid tail boom mod and Shoe Goo on the canopy.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:38 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,339 Posts
As to durability, I've seen this thing beat to heck -- over ground or hitting flat surfaces. I think if it's below a certain threshold, given the low mass of this heli, you could do it again and again, and still fly for months or a year.

But c'mon, I do think sometimes we need to reel in our expectations -- If you take something right out of the box, brand new, on it's first flight, that can move as fast as this critter, even with it's low mass, and you whack it full-on into a sharp chair leg edge, or a 90 degree corner of a brick wall, etc, yes, I can imagine breaking it clean in half, or snapping a boom. So cracking a boom or a frame does not shock me.

I don't think there is much more they could do to crash proof or harden this thing without adding a ton of weight and hurting flight performance.

Not saying it's perfect, but after all the wringing out these guys have gotten, when my own heli breaks in some spectacular crash just because it landed in a certain way (and I know it will!), then I'll just realize that was the breaks and go get the parts required.

All IMHO.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:23 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,568 Posts
Quote:
.... durability of the nano, I am disappointed.... 8th flight ...boom was split.... crack in the canopy.... !
I figure any time it impacts with flight direction on to the tail into carpet, its like pole vaulting, only the boom isn't made to flex so it spits.
You just happened to do it sooner rather than later.

After smacking this around for the past 2 months (4-12 flights a day) like many posted vids the only thing that split was the boom. I'm surprised that that's all that's broken.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:06 PM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
That's some impressive modification... If it works you should give Blade the heads up!
Thanks. I've had it in the air, but I wouldn't say it's "working" yet. Too many vibrations and the tail wags a lot due to the gyro being quite sensitive. I think it would be possible to mass manufacture, but not without a good deal of testing first.

Electronics is easy for Blade, just a Nano sized 130x board. The tailblade mounting system and slider links require a slightly unorthodox approach and the belt is tricky, but I think they could do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhroof View Post
How does she fly?
Badly right now, but it's a work in progress... The blade mount broke tonight, so a bit more design and building again. This project has been an exercise in patience and careful work.
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
After reading about the durability of the nano, I am disappointed. ADuring my 8th flight I noticed that the tile motor was not horizontal. At first I thought it had twisted in the socket but then discovered that the boom was split. Then I found a crack in the canopy. I am flying in a carpeted room, am quick on the throttle hold and did not notice hitting anything very hard. I did sideswipe a table leg so it probably happened then. In almost 180 flights with my mSR X I broke one tail boom and never cracked the canopy. And that was as a total newbie in a smaller room with more obstacles. Cíest la vie!
My nano is approaching 200 flights. I have replaced the main motor five times. The canopy has multiple cracks repaired with shoe goo. The tail boom has been broken three times and repaired once with hot glue and twice with thread and CA. It has been crashed hard dozens of times and is still flying great. No vibrations or tail wag. In my experience, it is extremely durable. It is the most durable of my six heli's.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
392 Posts
You have to expect the canopy to crack, it takes a lot of the impacts. Both my MSRx and Nano canopies are looking very poorly, but still do the job. Like Skaggs I broke a tail boom and just added a bit of hot glue, no issues with it now.
Znybar is offline Find More Posts by Znybar
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
God is Good
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2011
1,094 Posts
Here's some cool photo's I want to share with you guys!
TMAC4123 is offline Find More Posts by TMAC4123
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: UMX Icon A5 Lights!
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:42 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
Well love it or hate it your a Nano Pilot now! Try the solid tail boom mod and Shoe Goo on the canopy.
Thanks, but I have a couple of questions.

Solid tail boom mod - How do you get the wires out of the hollow boom? Smash the boom to pieces or cut the wires and then splice them?

What is Shoe Goo and where do I find it?
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,262 Posts
If your hollow boom is already cracked you can actually just peal it apart with some needle nose pliers (carefully of course).
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, but I have a couple of questions.

Solid tail boom mod - How do you get the wires out of the hollow boom? Smash the boom to pieces or cut the wires and then splice them?

What is Shoe Goo and where do I find it?
My boom was split to the end so I just pulled it apart. You could unsolder the connector also. Be careful not to scratch the coating or you may get a short.

If you are in US check Wal-Mart in the shoe dept. Comes in a red tube like silicone.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:14 AM
Chad deQuevedo of Olyphant, PA
United States, PA, Olyphant
Joined Aug 2012
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Znybar View Post
You have to expect the canopy to crack, it takes a lot of the impacts. Both my MSRx and Nano canopies are looking very poorly, but still do the job. Like Skaggs I broke a tail boom and just added a bit of hot glue, no issues with it now.
My canopy at this point is mostly pieces held together by canopy glue. I also broke one of the arms off the frame and my blades are almost shot, but this little guy still flies fine. I want to get a little more practice in on the basics before spending money on repairs.
Micubano is offline Find More Posts by Micubano
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Optim 80 CP Review