HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:57 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Oct 2007
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnse7en View Post
Do anyone have a different trick to add the PVA or rubber cemement to the ends of the spindle thread? Or - an easier way using Shoe Goo?
I realize it's not exactly what you asked, but blue Loctite is the best choice for this and all metal-to-metal stuff on electric helis. Just a tiny dab on the threads, get the tension right, and leave it an hour or so before you fly it. Don't use it on screws into plastic.
CatBird is offline Find More Posts by CatBird
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
I realize it's not exactly what you asked, but blue Loctite is the best choice for this and all metal-to-metal stuff on electric helis. Just a tiny dab on the threads, get the tension right, and leave it an hour or so before you fly it. Don't use it on screws into plastic.
That's what I use. Works great.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:33 AM
United States, MA, Northampton
Joined Jan 2009
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
Correct - I use blue thread locking compound on my rc cars. I'm not at all personally comfortable using it in a tight spot on my helis though.

Do you have a trick to keep the lock-tite off the plastic blade grip?

*edit - nevermind - I got it. It's 1:35AM here and I'm going sleepy time
dragnse7en is offline Find More Posts by dragnse7en
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:17 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
481 Posts
weak throttle?

This thread is moving fast!

I'm not sure why my 'Nano barely seems to move upward even at full throttle in normal mode.

I mainly fly in normal mode, high rates on the RTF/DX4e (so I can fly indoors without having to go get my main transmitter). Two batteries are just a week or so old, and the other two were purchased today. I can fly to the ceiling of my livingroom but after the first 30 seconds of flight it may take some effort. Throttle trim is in the middle, and I haven't tried re-binding yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:05 AM
RC Aircraft Junkie
USA, CA, Chula Vista
Joined Sep 2004
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Now, slowly sprinkle baking soda on the wet CA until it won't take anymore. I do it like I am seasoning with kosher salt.

The CA reacts with the baking soda instantly to form a very hard surface..
Great tip, I have never heard of that before. I too have had problems with the arms on the swash breaking/cracking. On one swash two arms have been repaired with CA and splintered carbon fibers to reinforce. The other swash has one arm repaired the same way. Although expensive, I think an aluminum swash
is in my future. Hopefully the weight will be the same or only slightly heavier.
jlk69 is offline Find More Posts by jlk69
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpdx View Post
This thread is moving fast!

I'm not sure why my 'Nano barely seems to move upward even at full throttle in normal mode.

I mainly fly in normal mode, high rates on the RTF/DX4e (so I can fly indoors without having to go get my main transmitter). Two batteries are just a week or so old, and the other two were purchased today. I can fly to the ceiling of my livingroom but after the first 30 seconds of flight it may take some effort. Throttle trim is in the middle, and I haven't tried re-binding yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Charles
Did you do the Neutral Pitch at Throttle Midstick check? Sounds like lack of pitch, OR you may have a bad motor.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:16 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69 View Post
Great tip, I have never heard of that before. I too have had problems with the arms on the swash breaking/cracking. On one swash two arms have been repaired with CA and splintered carbon fibers to reinforce. The other swash has one arm repaired the same way. Although expensive, I think an aluminum swash
is in my future. Hopefully the weight will be the same or only slightly heavier.
yeah. The swashplate is the smallest I've seen of these types of heli. And the nano generates so much force during pitch changes. Add to that the Wild brushless motor at 16000kv. I think the swashplate needs to be reenforce. After stiffening it up, the heli feels much more precise and locked in. With the head govern at a higher speed, the nano is so stable in the air.

We'll see how this holds up.

A cnc swashplate sounds like a worth while upgrade. The stock swashplate is about .52 to .56g. The RakonHeli swashplate is .79g. The RakonHeli with the antirotation pin and guide moved to the back is .89g.

The MicroHeli weighs near identical to the RakonHeli version.

Both are about $25-27 bucks. Depending on if you buy the xswash version.

The MicroHeli antirotation guide interfered with the servo arms. And they have since fixed it and shipping replacements to owners right now. For those that purchased from another dealer, info is forthcoming on how to ask for a replacement.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,037 Posts
I just got the Nano back from HH yesterday with a new 3 in 1 board. They said it was test flown but last night could not get it bind. By the manual it is only 8 steps canít be that hard. I have tried far away and touching the canopy to no avail. Spent a time last night reading post looking for a solution. Several people have had the problem but I could not find a definite thing that was done to resolve the problem. Any ideas? Calling HH back today. Thinking of just giving up on the Nano , put it all back in the box and place it on the shelf in the shop to stay.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:43 AM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santley View Post
I just got the Nano back from HH yesterday with a new 3 in 1 board. They said it was test flown but last night could not get it bind. By the manual it is only 8 steps canít be that hard. I have tried far away and touching the canopy to no avail. Spent a time last night reading post looking for a solution. Several people have had the problem but I could not find a definite thing that was done to resolve the problem. Any ideas? Calling HH back today. Thinking of just giving up on the Nano , put it all back in the box and place it on the shelf in the shop to stay.
I posted this a little while back...
As for binding, mine occasionally has issues.
It seems to work by having the radio on the ground 3 to 4' away from the heli. Plug the battery in and if I stand up and move away from both, it seems to bind with no problems. Sometimes if I'm on my knee waiting for it to bind, it doesn't.... strange
May have to unplug and try again. Most it took me when giving me problems was 3 times.
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,037 Posts
@elgecko

You are talking about binding after a battery change right? What about your Initial bind? How did that go.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:54 AM
Fighting Gravity
USA, PA, Red Lion
Joined Sep 2005
188 Posts
Yes I was referring to after a battery change. I take it you are referring to initial binding.
IIRC I thought my heli was messed up and would not bind. Then I read the directions about holding the rudder stick...
Is it a RTF or BNF?
What radio are you using?
I have a computer radio, DX7, and think you have to hold the rudder stick to the right until the heli binds. If using a RTF radio, DX4e, the rudder stick is held to the left until it binds.

Just checked the websites manual and that is what it says.
Also saw it mentioned if the pitch and throttle must be programmed correctly or the heli will not bind.

Last resort; sometime a good chuck across the room scares the heli into binding....
elgecko is offline Find More Posts by elgecko
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jun 2010
481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Did you do the Neutral Pitch at Throttle Midstick check? Sounds like lack of pitch, OR you may have a bad motor.
Thanks. No. I'll check. Right now it's as it came.
Thanks,
Charles
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Feb 2007
531 Posts
What advantage does the pin moved to the back provide? I read it helped something on the MCPX, but is it necessary on Nano. Thinking about getting a swashplate, my stock one is glued on all 3 arms. So with glue and reinforcement it would probably be about equal to the others.

Bought a backup, OK for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
yeah. The swashplate is the smallest I've seen of these types of heli. And the nano generates so much force during pitch changes. Add to that the Wild brushless motor at 16000kv. I think the swashplate needs to be reenforce. After stiffening it up, the heli feels much more precise and locked in. With the head govern at a higher speed, the nano is so stable in the air.

We'll see how this holds up.

A cnc swashplate sounds like a worth while upgrade. The stock swashplate is about .52 to .56g. The RakonHeli swashplate is .79g. The RakonHeli with the antirotation pin and guide moved to the back is .89g.

The MicroHeli weighs near identical to the RakonHeli version.

Both are about $25-27 bucks. Depending on if you buy the xswash version.

The MicroHeli antirotation guide interfered with the servo arms. And they have since fixed it and shipping replacements to owners right now. For those that purchased from another dealer, info is forthcoming on how to ask for a replacement.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Joined Jun 2010
481 Posts
Yep, my lack of upward movement was due to lack of pitch. I found the cause in the manual - my main gear had slipped about a millimeter, so I wasn't getting enough positive pitch.

Meanwhile, kudos to Horizon's support! They're sending me a new servo. One of my side servos is/was sticking. I was able to demonstrate it to myself and my wife many times, although at the moment the symptom seems to have disappeared.

Charles
Last edited by ccpdx; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:39 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
What advantage does the pin moved to the back provide? I read it helped something on the MCPX, but is it necessary on Nano. Thinking about getting a swashplate, my stock one is glued on all 3 arms. So with glue and reinforcement it would probably be about equal to the others.

Bought a backup, OK for now.
Something to do with more Elevator travel I thought, frees it up for greater travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpdx View Post
Yep, my lack of upward movement was due to lack of pitch. I found the cause in the manual - my main gear had slipped about a millimeter, so I wasn't getting enough positive pitch.

Meanwhile, kudos to Horizon's support! They're sending me a new servo. One of my side servos is/was sticking. I was able to demonstrate it to myself and my wife many times, although at the moment the symptom seems to have disappeared.

Charles
Cool! Glad you found it! I just replaced the left side servo on mine. Locked up around flight 26 and the little servo motor got so hot it melted some of the mechanicals plastic holder frame. Bought a couple new ones and fixed it right up, got a spare too.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer