SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Finally got my two Servos today in USPS. Was sitting in Columbus center all weekend. Should have been here on Saturday.

Replaced the left side servo and instantly fixed my problem! Rechecked my Zero Pitch and all is good. Just a slight vibration I can see on the front of the stock skids in a hover, probably caused by my now slightly nicked bullet blades and ever so slightly bent FS. Not worth messing with at this time.

I found my old servo slider tab melted to the case of the screwjack holder. So something going on there that the motor got real hot and melted it together. I cut it free, but still has a catch in in. New mechanicals might revive that unit.

Just glad I finally got a flight in the living room and it hovers really well again. Too cold and windy this past weekend to do any outdoor, but if I had been off this afternoon I could have. Was perfectly calm and sunny, with about 48-50F temps. Supposed to get light snow tonight.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:13 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Since we were talking about boom strength ...

I am not the best pilot and often try things i shouldn't so i have crashed many square hollow booms, round hollow booms and solid round booms. In my experience which includes many , many broken booms, without a doubt hollow square is stronger than hollow round but solid round is much stronger than both.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,403 Posts
Finally got my Nano CPx going after a bit of a struggle. I purchased one at my LHS, which was DOA, it wouldn't bind. Sent it back to Horizon (I'm in Canada, they're in the States) who fixed it up and sent it back. Took a bit of time - a week to get there, a week at Horizon, a week and a bit to get here. To add insult to injury, the package wasn't marked as a warranty return when they sent it to me so I had to shell out a few bucks to the postie for customs.

Sigh. At least Horizon took care of the issue.

Now that's all behind me, I'm loving this little helicopter! I had an FBL100 which flew very well, this is at least as good. Sure takes a beating! It's a bit cool here now so outdoor flights are short as the battery cools down, but everything works well enough. I even managed to get it inverted in my small front room practice zone and land on the ceiling!

Here's my take on this model:

Blade Nano CPx: Review and Flight Testing (8 min 43 sec)
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:29 AM
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts
tail boom

Did the square boom mod. Took a back part of a genious frame and glued it on the back of the nano. Did mod the frame to get a flat "gluable" part. then used a mini cp tail setup. Could have shortened it a bit, but left it.

I have a dewo 8s so maybe i should think of installing the deviation firmware to use it for the Nano.

Hugo
hugo-norway is offline Find More Posts by hugo-norway
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:42 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post

I am not the best pilot and often try things i shouldn't so i have crashed many square hollow booms, round hollow booms and solid round booms. In my experience which includes many , many broken booms, without a doubt hollow square is stronger than hollow round but solid round is much stronger than both.
I don't own a Nano (yet?), and probably shouldn't have given Tail Boom mod advice in this thread, especially since I don't even know what shaped mounting holes it has.

After giving the subject more thought, I'm now vaguely remembering that the Nano may have a hollow round Tail Boom with both ends "keyed" for proper alignment (like the mSR Tail Boom). If so, staying round is probably the best choice, and solid would definitely be stronger than hollow. The thought of me trying to DIY the "keying" at both ends at the same angle, makes me feel apprehensive. I'm starting to think a weaker more difficult to DIY Tail Boom may be a "popular" sales item; however, I'm still wondering why it is only offered with an expensive Tail Motor? Let me guess, it might have something to do with sales again? Why sell the customer a weak $1 part, when there's an opportunity to sell the same weak part for $10? (I don't own a Nano, so I'm LOL as I type )

My earlier Tail Boom re-posts were originally intended for the Walkera Mini which comes from the factory with a hollow square Tail Boom and mounting holes, which is super easy to inexpensively DIY, as well as can be replaced and properly aligned in less than 1 min.

From a new design point of view, in my mind it's a no-brainer, a hollow square Tail Boom is the best choice because: 1) it results with the greatest strength for a given amount/weight and length of material, 2) facilitates component alignment at both ends.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Nov 27, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add grin comment
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:23 AM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
I've only fractured one tail-boom between 2 Nanos since September, but I just replaced it with a stock one.

If I were to do a new boom for the nano; coming from the Mcpx; the solid boom option is a no-brainer for me. (wires out and ugly - suck it up baby)

I can tell the square boom has merits on paper; and looks very cool though.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,073 Posts
i812, not a problem for me you giving advise without having a Nano. Before I got my Nano I read everything I could and looked at all options openly. After getting the bird I have focused more on the problems and mods on my Nano and lose some of the overall scope of the helicopter. You have the knowledge of what you have read, share it.

As for keying the boom you can just lay it on a flat surface and slide it back and forth without rolling and it will make a nice straightt line along the rod.

S
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:55 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:

+1 on all that. I have the solid boom on both my Nanos and have yet to break one (fingers crossed). lol I did have a major problem recently and that was some of the insulation came off the wiring and I was aware of it and thought I had covered all the bare spots but to my surprise, I didn't and it fried my main board and esc to a crisp. I should have trashed that tail motor but by trying to be thrifty (cheap) it cost me a whole lot more.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
+1 on all that. I have the solid boom on both my Nanos and have yet to break one (fingers crossed). lol I did have a major problem recently and that was some of the insulation came off the wiring and I was aware of it and thought I had covered all the bare spots but to my surprise, I didn't and it fried my main board and esc to a crisp. I should have trashed that tail motor but by trying to be thrifty (cheap) it cost me a whole lot more.

Bob
where do I get a solid boom?
I crushed my stock boom in my flight case...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
You can get a solid 2 mm carbon fiber rod at most hobby shops. I sized mine to about 1 cm of distance between the main rotor blade and tail rotor blade. I attached the wires with four tiny dabs of black silicone under the length of the boom. The tail fin has been removed and I use a yellow tail rotor blade. There's no tail wag and it can do a tailslide from 30 feet up.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
I don't own a Nano (yet?), and probably shouldn't have given Tail Boom mod advice in this thread, especially since I don't even know what shaped mounting holes it has.

After giving the subject more thought, I'm now vaguely remembering that the Nano may have a hollow round Tail Boom with both ends "keyed" for proper alignment (like the mSR Tail Boom). If so, staying round is probably the best choice, and solid would definitely be stronger than hollow. The thought of me trying to DIY the "keying" at both ends at the same angle, makes me feel apprehensive. I'm starting to think a weaker more difficult to DIY Tail Boom may be a "popular" sales item; however, I'm still wondering why it is only offered with an expensive Tail Motor? Let me guess, it might have something to do with sales again? Why sell the customer a weak $1 part, when there's an opportunity to sell the same weak part for $10? (I don't own a Nano, so I'm LOL as I type )

My earlier Tail Boom re-posts were originally intended for the Walkera Mini which comes from the factory with a hollow square Tail Boom and mounting holes, which is super easy to inexpensively DIY, as well as can be replaced and properly aligned in less than 1 min.

From a new design point of view, in my mind it's a no-brainer, a hollow square Tail Boom is the best choice because: 1) it results with the greatest strength for a given amount/weight and length of material, 2) facilitates component alignment at both ends.
Yes the nano like the mcpx has a keyed boom. But it is a simple flat on both ends on the same side/angle. What i do is cut the area with an x-acto knife it is fast and easy.

I was not trying to discount what you said at all and I do think what you wrote to be quite logical advise As you said it is also a no-brainer when it comes to alignment of a square over round boom.

What I forgot to write in my previous post was all was true for 100 size or smaller yet not the same for larger helis. Also I am more speaking of overall durability or solid round versus round or square tube.

While I do think square tube can be stronger/more durable I think it is situation/application dependent and it has to have a few things going for it.
Such as:
1) be on a larger heli where tail flex in a crash wonít help the lifespan of the boom (sub 100 I think some flexing during crash is helpful)
2) be better made carbon such as the spiral or weave type

As I am sure you know i have had a few of the mini cp's along with the genius heli's. There too i preferred round solid and found once i changed to solid i did not need to replace my tail boom often or if at all.

Again I crash alot.... probably more than 10 of you guys flying helis combined So i really have tested boom life on these small heli's

This is the type of area i fly in a lot and some of the silly stuff i do with these helis and why I like my solid booms on these little helis
MiniCP Floor Sweep (2 min 17 sec)
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
Joined Feb 2007
535 Posts
I didn't even bother keying the solid boom, just used a little liquid tape at the junctions. Wanted to get a small 2 pin Dean's connector to place back by the tail motor so I could leave wire taped to boom if I had to take it apart, but just soldered it (hobby shop didn't have those connectors). Again used liquid tape for covering solder junctions.

With all the talk of burnt up boards I did decide to use some regular insulated wire from V911 tail motor along the exposed areas rather than the enamel coated wire. I didn't have trouble with enamel coated wire but wanted to remove some risk.

The stock boom is just not usable. The last one I got (cause I needed the motor), had just a very minor crash not even direct hit to boom and it was cracked.
jpconard is online now Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
Nano gear is identical to MSR gear.
Agreed this is true but if you have an old msr look at the landing gear, it is more of a matt finish and more flexible that the nano landing gear!
New parts will more than likely be identical though
Cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,071 Posts
Quote:
This is the type of area i fly in a lot and some of the silly stuff i do with these helis and why I like my solid booms on these little helis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNroMVqdH7I
Cool video

Soon I'll be asking for your autograph
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
louisiana
Joined Dec 2001
384 Posts
New Nano

Just got me one last week. Perfect living room flyer

Blade Nano Cpx with Microheli swash and rear anti-rotation guide (2 min 32 sec)
d12bn is offline Find More Posts by d12bn