HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,197 Posts
Aluminum is harder though and will still have more leverage on that tiny shaft. Might not have much effect on a stock nano but on my brushless nano it could be a problem with such a high headspeed.
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:30 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
Aluminum is harder though and will still have more leverage on that tiny shaft. Might not have much effect on a stock nano but on my brushless nano it could be a problem with such a high headspeed.
Aluminum grips won't have any more leverage than the stock grips. You've made an assumption that the plastic grips have some 'give'. But when things get this small, the forces involved don't scale like you might think. The plastic grips are already stiff enough to bend the feathering shaft (very easily I might add). If the grips were the part that failed in a crash, then replacing them with something stronger might impact other parts down the line. But as it is the (plastic) grips are a strong point of the system, not a weak point. Replacing them with something stronger (and I'm not convinced aluminum grips are stronger) doesn't change that.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
I just came in from flying my mild Nano with 16 batteries and is was so much nicer than my brushed motor could ever be. I started out at 68% TC and went to 75% and found it was much nicer particularlly during flips and rolls. The extra head speed is really nice. I was trying out my wild Nano yesterday afternoon in the bedroom when the tail motor shorted out on me and literally burnt my esc and main board to crisp. Both the esc and main board were cherry red like hot coals before I could unplug the battery. I have a coupled extra main boards and I just ordered another esc from Dylan. I had problems with this tail motor before and I should have trashed it. This time I did. I can't wait to get the wild one going plus I should be receiving six 240mAh batteries today. I was flying the 150 - 190 mAh batteries today and I could only get thirty second flights. It was so cold the batteries refused to work until I put them in the car with the heater going full blast on them. Then I was able to get 2-3 minute flights. These are new batteries and they don't like cold weather and it really does affect them a lot.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Last edited by Willyboy; Nov 24, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Beam me up Scotty!
United States, VA
Joined Nov 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBird View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Black Friday sale. I've been looking for an opportunity to pick up a second, and it just presented itself.

For my quickest outings, I generally take my nCPX and my mCPX. When conditions are perfect calm, I can actually like the slightly smoother nature of the m. But surprisingly, the Nano's stronger tail and greater power reserve makes it the better choice almost every other time. Now I can switch on and off, and I'm not totally out of luck if something gets tweaked. The m isn't going to be seeing as much action in a week or so.
Glad I was able to help someone out!
Virginian is offline Find More Posts by Virginian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:09 PM
Beam me up Scotty!
United States, VA
Joined Nov 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver22 View Post
Took the plunge for that same deal. Looking forward to trying this heli.
It seems you & I are in the same boat. I was on the fence and I jumped on this deal. Hopefully I'll be up and rolling here soon.
Virginian is offline Find More Posts by Virginian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
United States, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Mar 2011
171 Posts
Got an erratic flight problem....

I purchased my Nano in September an have enjoyed flying it since. I have recently developed and "issue" that has me perplexed..... my Nano seems to behave erratically, It hovers fine but when I move from the hover it jerks and doesn't respond to the transmitter for an instant but then recovers.....this repeats over the life of the battery. During that flight my transmitter ( Dx 8) shows an intermittent display of a bar graph in the left corner of the screen that flashes in-and-out...I have never seen that with any of my other Blade units ( mCPx, mSRx, 130x, 300x, 450x). I haven't crashed the Nano but I did replace the tail with a solid CF tail.....haven't changed the blades from stock or any other components......anybody got an idea what's gong on???? Board? Motor??
jimmiedac is offline Find More Posts by jimmiedac
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Haven't crashed? Hard to believe!

Check that the antenna has a solid connection to the board.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiedac View Post
I purchased my Nano in September an have enjoyed flying it since. I have recently developed and "issue" that has me perplexed..... my Nano seems to behave erratically, It hovers fine but when I move from the hover it jerks and doesn't respond to the transmitter for an instant but then recovers.....this repeats over the life of the battery. During that flight my transmitter ( Dx 8) shows an intermittent display of a bar graph in the left corner of the screen that flashes in-and-out...I have never seen that with any of my other Blade units ( mCPx, mSRx, 130x, 300x, 450x). I haven't crashed the Nano but I did replace the tail with a solid CF tail.....haven't changed the blades from stock or any other components......anybody got an idea what's gong on???? Board? Motor??
Did you bind it to your tx using the method in the manual?
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Nov 24, 2012, 11:18 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
Joined Nov 2010
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiedac View Post
Mine doesn't do this, but I do have a very occasional problem with my Nano not registering Fmode switch changes mod flight, ie: if I switch to IU1 and then switch back to normal and fly another minute or so and try landing, it will still be running the flat throttle curve and unless I land softly I run the constant risk of slamming into a landing. I just use the TH switch now to avoid unwanted issues but Ive never experienced this with any of my other models.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
462 Posts
I just splinted my tail with another piece of carbon rod, wrapped black thread around it and epoxied. I'd like to know how many people reinforce their tail booms (and if so how), leave them as stock, or switch to solid....

Thanks,
Charles
ccpdx is online now Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,240 Posts
I've switch to square 2mm tubes cuz I've had more luck and it's easier to fabricate should I break them.

I prefer to keep my wires running on the inside.

http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/11/bla...tail-boom-mod/
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:20 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I've switch to square 2mm tubes cuz I've had more luck and it's easier to fabricate should I break them.

I prefer to keep my wires running on the inside.

http://www.hacksmods.com/2012/11/bla...tail-boom-mod/
Just curious, how often do those fracture compared to the stock boom?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:43 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,240 Posts
I fly inside, at night after the kids and wife are down. Wild, brushless kit. I was fracturing a boom a night with the round ones. It's still flyable, but at the end entering the frame, there are usually small cracks and when you do the twist test, the boom will give.

So following a couple of batteries, I am usually in the garage making a new one for the next day. Cuz you know, you gotta spend some time on your beloved heli.

I contemplated going with a solid boom while I learn inverted flight. But I don't like the looks of running wires outside. Nor the weight penalty of shrinktubes to cover them up. Also, I see a deluge of post about burnt FETs due to nicked tail wires, as it's owners run them outside solid booms. So that got me to using the 2mm square boom mod.

Idea is, without having to file down the ends to key the round tube...the integrity of the boom is upheld. Cuz that's the part that I usually fracture. Secondly, there is more meat on the square tubes. But most importantly, if the square booms weren't stronger, and are even with the round tubes. It is at least much simpler for me to fabricate replacement booms. Simply cut to length. No need to file in the keys at each end and meticulously ensure that I don't file too much away...or align each end so the file part is on the same plane. For those of you making your own round tail boom will know that is the most time consuming part of the procedure.

Anyways, so far, so good. But I've only had one session through them. (Actually, I remember I got two nights of flying with the square booms, not just one.) The holiday nights, and drives to visit family have gotten in the way of my nightly ritual. I'll give it a more thorough test before reporting on how they hold out over the round version.

I also got more FBL100 frames on it's way to me from HobbyKing. ($1.09 with buddy code). My hopes with those is, because they are mCPX frame...I may be able to mount the Nano parts on there. I surmise it will need a 2x6x2 bearing to adapt from the mCPX frame bearing spacing...to the 2mm main shaft. Then, with the space in the motor area, one can readily mount a brushless motor. That's the upside, as well as being able to use 2mm square tail booms. I'll have to see if the antirotation guide lines up or if there are any other hurdle to contend with.

All in all, it's so easy to snip the rear portion of the FBL100 frame off. Then snip off the rear part of the Nano frame. Use a file to quickly clean up and roughen the area for the glue to hold. Gluing flat to flat is a cinch, not harder than installing the brushless kit IMHO.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:26 AM
Feeling lucky .... Punk
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Sep 2007
491 Posts
Haven't been flying my MCPX since the main motor FET's fried, so I got a nano. Smoked the first motor in the nano after around 100 flights. I decided to try and fix the MCPX myself so I can alternate between the two. Thanks to one of the guys here on the forum I found the FET's I needed. The soldering job was a challenge even with good light and the magnifying glass but it was a success ! Boy, the MCPX feels like a slug now, compared to the nano ! I think once I have a good supply of spare motors the MPCX will go in the corner of shame, with some of the other failures I've tried over the years, LoL. My flying has advanced further in 2 weeks with the nano than any other CP machine I've had. Basically, I had skipped over becoming proficient at nose in hovering and went straight to fast forward flight with my bigger heli's, that was a mistake. Now with the nano, it's a piece of cake, like the MSR. I can do loops and rolls in fast forward flight, but need more practice to hold an inverted hover, the nano is perfect for that !
joel63 is offline Find More Posts by joel63
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,240 Posts
The Nano by default has so much agility. I've seen thread comments where the guys who are proficient in flying their larger heli, are finding the nano a handful. Others chimed in saying that the nano's agility reveals flaws in the pilot's skill. The larger birds are more expensive to crash, but they are also easier to fly relatively speaking.

However, once you are used to the nano and go back to the larger bird, as one HeliFreaker state about his 450...it feels like a "Big Fat Pig!!" LOL!

I like to think of it as, flying the nano gives you super power once you got back to the larger heli. You began to see things in slow motion. That's the impression I got from reading comments of others. I wouldn't know...cuz I don't fly anything larger ATM.

BTW Joel, once you go brushless...you'll have better control of the Nano. The reason isn't simply due to the .5 gram or so you lose with a brushless, but rather, the ability to govern the headspeed. So, even though you can govern it to have the same headspeed as the stock brushed setup, the nano is more locked in at that headspeed. Because when you give it hard commands, the governor will do it's best to keep the headspeed consistent. While on the brushed motor, that slight bogging means not instant translation of your command. So like another person state, he was crashing less into the walls in comparison to his stock nano. Able to pull out of a potential crash, thanks to the govern headspeed.
Last edited by Daryoon; Nov 25, 2012 at 09:40 AM.