HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:46 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Here's a different heli cage someone else posted in that thread:
Unless it's brushless, that cage can't leave a lot of reserve power for aerobatics. I have a scale fuselage on one of my mcpxs that weighs 9gm and it really slows down the collective response.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Here's a different heli cage someone else posted in that thread:
that is to cool to learn inverted flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomber View Post
I don't know who said they distrusted product demo flights, but it wasn't me. I pointed out that the blade product video is of a paid professional, which implies a highly developed level of skill. The statement was merely intended to make a distinction between my abilities (what I would call advanced intermediate) and what was demonstrated by flipping under a desk, in a shower stall, etc. (what I would call super-expert near jedi skillz) With the amount of hours I've logged flying helis, it's clear I'll never be THAT good.

In other news, I still find the mCPx to be more stable and easier to fly overall, but I'm starting to like the nano quite a bit after tweaking the curves and getting zero pitch dialed in at mid-stick. I even managed to get a few consecutive flips without hitting anything in my basement (note: NOT under a desk)
I do like my mCPX a little more than my Nano

Quote:
Unless it's brushless, that cage can't leave a lot of reserve power for aerobatics. I have a scale fuselage on one of my mcpxs that weighs 9gm and it really slows down the collective response.
dude, this is for training
not ripping off 3d, if someone can 3d they don't need a training cage
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,114 Posts
Quote:
I know, that is why I commented about the weight and lack of supporting flight video.

I also posted the diameter of the CF Rod was 2 mm. Perhaps 1 mm CF Rod could be used at half the weight? If not, maybe 2 mm CF Tube could be used? I've read for the same amount of material/weight, tube is stronger than solid, and square is stronger than round; therefore for the same amount of material/weight, square tube is probably the best configuration to use in this application.

I tried using the standard Training Skids when I first started, and within the same day removed them because I feel safer having the ability to quickly maneuver out of danger, than being stuck in a slow moving heavy "boat". I understand different people have different expectations.
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Nov 10, 2012 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Add last sentence to 2nd paragraph
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,175 Posts
Quote:
I don't know who said they distrusted product demo flights, but it wasn't me. I pointed out that the blade product video is of a paid professional, which implies a highly developed level of skill. The statement was merely intended to make a distinction between my abilities (what I would call advanced intermediate) and what was demonstrated by flipping under a desk, in a shower stall, etc. (what I would call super-expert near jedi skillz) With the amount of hours I've logged flying helis, it's clear I'll never be THAT good.
I did not imply that anyone in particular on here said that. It is simply an observation I've made over the years on these threads. It seems like there is always a group of people who tend to think that the promo vids look too good to be real. Also, I have read many posts in which the person stated that they would rather see how a particular aircraft performs in the hands of an average pilot than a pro.

Oh - and I'll never be anywhere near that good, either! I have a number of other hobbies that I also enjoy, so I don't want to spend that much time on just one of them.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:49 PM
Heli collector
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I did not imply that anyone in particular on here said that. It is simply an observation I've made over the years on these threads. It seems like there is always a group of people who tend to think that the promo vids look too good to be real. Also, I have read many posts in which the person stated that they would rather see how a particular aircraft performs in the hands of an average pilot than a pro.

Oh - and I'll never be anywhere near that good, either! I have a number of other hobbies that I also enjoy, so I don't want to spend that much time on just one of them.

Joel
Depending on the heli's targeted skill level usage. I usually want to see how it flies and crashes and what's damaged flown by a pilot like me. Or what a average pilot can expect from it as a enjoyable everyday flier and the space required to fly it in. Or what it can do flown by a pilot that can actually get the best out of it..

So now days with all the great advancements in heli's I need at least three reviews from three different skill levels of pilots to answer my questions..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Nano CPX 14 flights

Bought this about 2 wks ago. Had great fun with it for a bit...
After 14 flights I'm getting sudden fluctuations in rpm. Tried different batts, looked over gears,links... Cant find any good reason for it. I know enough to let it cool between flighs. Called HH they tell me to go to my LHS and buy a new motor. I tell them after only 14 flights I shouldn't have to. They tell me the warranty on these are only good for day of purchase????!
After them sending me a new board for mcpx (which fried after 15 flights) and a board for the Umx beast (elevator servo lockup issue leading to crash after 17 flights), I expected more. I got a 450x on the way and now I'm thinking I'll be taking my hobby dollars elsewhere.
Got the Sbach, absolutely love the little bird, 12 flights, hope I have better luck with that one (and the 450x- now hearing the motor in that burns out qwik)- holding breath.
I like their products, was concerned with the quality of their parts but now add the lack of customer service... Frustrated!
geewow is offline Find More Posts by geewow
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:27 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
dude, this is for training
not ripping off 3d, if someone can 3d they don't need a training cage
I understand, it's just that with how much the extra weight would slow response down, it would be hard to flip/roll it from upright to inverted and back. If the intent was to start out inverted and stay that way, I missed it.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:53 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
16 flights total now, got 4 more tonight in the front yard where I used to fly the mCPX. Come to think of it, a few times the motor seemed weak, then it picked up again.

Really making progress now. Was able to fly circuits end to end with quick turnarounds and some broad and tighter turns. Then brought it in closer and started doing backflips and my first Piro's. Did some slow climbing ones and then went full left rudder and let it spin as fast as it could. I've got the rudder set on 125%. It was more stable in them that I thought.

My Glow Skids were glowing out there after that Sunset UV soaked in.

I caught the fringe twigs on a maple tree a couple times coming around from turns. Just hit the TH and no problems anytime. Skipped it across the limerock driveway a couple times and I thought surely there would be broken pins or something. Nada. Much more durable for me than the mCPX and saving me money on parts. Plus I'm advancing faster and gaining more confidence.

I had Charged 6 Batts for my 46 Yak and 57 Extra SC to fly this afternoon, but we had too much house scraping and painting outside and ran long to the point there was no time to get loaded and drive to the parking lot to fly 3D with them. The Nano saved the day and satisfied the Flying Bug again!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
Hey guys,

Just picked up my nano today. I have the Blade 450 3D, The MCPx V1, The original MSR (I see its back now), and the Blade MCX. I'm used to these can motors, the 6 or so UM planes and helis have all use them. They are a constant chore to replace thats just part of ownership. Even the can motors on the servos have been replaced on my poor MSR. I've almost worn the teeth off the main gear of that guy.

Anyway I wanted some feedback. Does anyone else notice its harder to make let hand circuits with this bird than right hand? My MsR had this problem, didnt notice it in the MCPX and now its back in the Nano. Very dissapointing. I'm also trying to do flips in a fairly spacious living room. I have better luck with the MCPX. It seems yanking back on the stick on this bird causes it to bog the rotor and lose headspeed. It's still my first night with the bird. too windy to go outside (40 MPH gusts) so I'm stuck with tight quarters flying.

Does this sound about right with this bird? Or do I just need more time at the sticks? Any tricks on setup to make her more friendy?

I've already completely changed normal mode settings, combined with higher expo and less travel makes her fly really smooth. Good for small rooms and Covert cat assault missions. Took the mid position and did a V curve with 85%-70%-85%. With the recommended low rates for travel and expo. Then my stunt mode is full everything with 30% expo. I dont have my pitch curve perfect yet, I like to transition from stunt and mid to normal mode with no jumping up or down. Just need to tinker a bit more. I will say she's a tough bird. Extremely twitchy at high rates and stunt mode. As she should be, but dialing back normal mode makes her fly like the msr and she doesn't even scratch the paint on crashes. Really, REALLY tough bird.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
Augernaut
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jan 2010
1,466 Posts
One more observation

So one thing I did notice. These batteries that came with the Nano are absolute garbage. When I saw the C rating I was skeptical. One thing I've learned is that if its got a higher C rating and its not a fatter pack, it's lying. I have about 30 160Mah Nano Techs that are a couple years old. They are a tighter fit in the holder, but even after 2 years of sitting arond in various states of charge. Each and every one out performed the stock batteries in both duration and headspeed. One thing I did notice is when the nano techs reach the end of their charge, the headspeed drops offf really quick. It's almost like how a Ni-Cad loses power. Strong all the way to the end, then off the cliff. The stock batteries give about 30 seconds of full power, then its going down the hill till LVC.

Also don't hit LVC. The Nano seems to be set a bit lower. If I hit LVC the battery wont charge in the 4 port charger. I have to give it a boost with the Accu-cycle, then move it over. Only happened once, but that batter is noticably weaker now. Then again it was the stock battery and came off hot enough that I'm wondering if it hd issues from the factory.
Wookster is offline Find More Posts by Wookster
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:42 PM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnBeeler View Post
How do you find the center of gravity with one of theses? Or is it even necessary with mico/nano helis?
You put the blades on it then sand the side that drops until they balance out.

I think it helps with the shakes when I've tried everything else. It could just be like a placebo to me. But the original question I responded to was about sanding the blades to get dings out, so he wanted to do it anyways.

Otherwise, I would say no, you don't need balance your blades for the micro helis any more than you need to always have a perfectly flying helicopter.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Last edited by Number1BSArtist; Nov 11, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:50 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passero View Post
A few weeks ago I just flew my chopped (not t the nano) right into my eye... Speak about pain...
Youch! I can see myself doing that. I have had to duck a couple of times so far.

Actualy, as long as you were not injured, that would have been funny as hell to see. Probably would have went viral, lol. "helicoper into eye" 2 million views
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 PM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
Guys talking about the flipping under the table and quickness of the Nano, we have all seen vids in this thread that show it very well can be done. I think the average pilot bar has moved up from some of us, myself included is all.

Specifically, I think that first video of the Mcpx V1 flipping over the pool-table and stuff took a lot away from Blades credibility. Because we all know that was one heck of a piece of piloting there that likely could not be done by the masses with a stock V1, hence V2.(Still not right)

Just keep at it. Once I got used to it, I can see where it's possible even if I can't make a show of it for you myself. I thought the same stuff when I first saw the vids for this thing, but the Nano is not the Mcpx.

It works in every way except having a reliable long lasting main motor.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,700 Posts
sorry to derail the discussion ...
... but did anybody notice yet? The nano bling wars are on:

http://www.microheli.com/store/produ...375e1616cbb96e
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:21 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,877 Posts
Hi Wooster,

I'm encountering what might be somewhat similar learning pains with the Nano and right/left turning. To be honest, this heli is performing remarkably similarly to the MSRX when I was first learning to fly that. When you piro you have to actively control the cyclic as it wants to lean one way or another. I'm currently working on piros and circuits and I can do left in-place piros easier than right in-place piros but can do right circuits much easier than left circuits. That's EXACTLY how both of my MSRXs fly. Weird, huh? John Salt's MSR/MSRX/120SR book describes why this is the case and I think since the Nano is so small (it's nearly identical in size to my MSRX wearing a MCPX tail boom) I think some of the basic physics applies quite nicely here.

Some other questions for you guys. I came up through the ranks of the MCX2 & MSR and I'm well versed with Blade's weird choice to use the GYRO channel (channel 5) as the low/high rate signal for those helis. The MSRX doesn't seem to pay attention to that in any noticeable way (I still fly with GYRO high though..) and so I was wondering whether the Nano also ignores that signal. Any ideas?

Also, I was wondering about the throttle hold and the pitch curve that should be set for it. I know that on really big helis you want full collective control during an autorotation maneuver. There's enough mass there that the blades will actually do something useful for you when you're moving through the air. However, is that even relevant for the Nano? I can't see those lightweight blades having any sort of momentum when throttle hold is applied. Would it make sense to set the pitch curve to be 0 degrees (which would be 50% on the DX6i programming screen) when TH is applied? I've heard of that on the mCPX threads a while ago as being something that might help avoid damage to the spindle and head... thoughts?
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Nov 10, 2012 at 11:45 PM. Reason: clarified the part in bold