HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:22 AM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
First roof landing!!!!! Starting to get the hang of upside down hover!!!! BUT, broke the swash on the 4th attempt, damn, no spares...... lhs on list today.... wonder how much that is going to cost.....
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:41 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Wow, I wish I could keep mine in the air for more than 15 seconds. Main problem, besides no skill, is that I am trying to learn in my basement. Which while finished, with a very large and never used "family room". Something like 24x24 with 8' ceiling. Pretty nice for my MCX2, but not enough room by a long shot to learn the Nano. Took it outside once and scared the pants off myself. Wind gust came up and before I could say goodbye this little bumble bee was 3 houses down. In a very brief flash of sanity, I hit the TH and it just bounced down on the grass down the way. No damage.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, IA, Solon
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1BSArtist View Post
A Blade Balancer is a good investment. There are many different kinds, I highly recommend getting one.

This is the one I use: http://www.boomtownhobbies.com/Xtrem...-038-combo.htm
How do you find the center of gravity with one of theses? Or is it even necessary with mico/nano helis?
MtnBeeler is offline Find More Posts by MtnBeeler
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:29 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Paid professional or otherwise, it proves the capability of the nano in capable hands. That was the only point I was trying to make. Truth is it just takes practice.
+1!

I don't understand why people seem to dislike or not trust demo flights that are flown by accomplished pilots. I want to see demo videos flown by top-notch pilots so I can see the true capabilities of the aircraft when flown by a capable pilot. If I want to see how an aircraft performs in the hands of an average pilot - all I have to do is watch myself fly!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:49 AM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I only wish I had made videos of my many, many misfortunes with flying different RC's. Then you could see what is possible in the hands of a pilot of the worst skill you've likely seen!
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post

Maybe you need to install a CF Geodetic Dome (cage) around your Nano.

Someone posted this in the "A trick to learn inverted flying" thread last year:

blade cp inverted hover (1 min 48 sec)
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
Someone posted this in the "A trick to learn inverted flying" thread last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7xhC...layer_embedded
very cool
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:33 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
cool stuff
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:19 AM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs550t1981 View Post
First roof landing!!!!! Starting to get the hang of upside down hover!!!! BUT, broke the swash on the 4th attempt, damn, no spares...... lhs on list today.... wonder how much that is going to cost.....
You mean your ceiling?
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:45 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
I can't even see how he does it. Varies pitch quickly during the maneuver? I can't do a flip in less than 3 fuselage lengths.
YES. For years I've been doing it wrong and the Nano showed me that. To do really tight flips you have to pull the collective back a lot faster. I kinda knew that, but the Nano flips way faster than the helis I'm used to.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by i812 View Post
A fine tooth hand file or fingernail emery board would probably allow more precision.
Yeah good point to add, I used a fine file on the second one I made. I use the flex shaft attachment so that my dremel has a thin pencil like feel and allows me better precision then I file it to the final shape, this would be a PITA if using the standard tool, it's to big and bulky. One more thing to note, I also used a decent dial caliper to make sure it was the same spec as the original, I wouldn't say it's required but it does help on something this small. It probably sounds like alot of work but in truth it only took maybe 30min. and saved me $8.99, I have a few spares now so total savings is in the range of $27 to $36 bucks not including tax or having to wait for one to be shipped, that's pretty significant to me. Horizon is really over-priced on some of it's parts!
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Last edited by JLink125; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:32 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I have that attachment too. It can come in pretty handy indeed. I have the 400 XPR and I have used too many times to count on my various RC models. On something as small as the Nano though, one slip of the Dremel could mean disaster! A file is safer, but if you can handle the Dremel well enough it is way faster and easier.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzBomber View Post
Twitchy li'l bugger this is...

I picked one up on wednesday with the proceeds from the sale of my old 1/12 pan car. I waited to get one and see what the feedback was, I thought it was a sure thing, but I'm not as impressed as I hoped. Using the stock programming, the nano is very sensitive on the collective and it's hard to maintain a steady altitude indoors where it's critical - the cyclic is twitchy too, but manageable. And surprise, surprise, it's awful in wind that my streched mcpx can easily handle outdoors.

I have come to the realization that my basement (7' ceiling) just does not have enough vertical clearance for aerobatics with anything, but the real surprise was that I'm more comfortable with my mcpx in this space; it's more predictable. It is durable though, I've dumped it a few times and only cracked the canopy thus far - panicked like an idiot when a flip attempt inside sent it right at my head, managed to pull full positive collective inverted right before I hit hold.

Overall, it seems pretty good, and I'm sure I'll get it where I want it with some tweaks; I was just hoping to be one of the guys who loved it with the box setup.

PS, if anyone has any settings for docile indoor handling they'd like to share, I'm all ears. I'm thinking of flattening the pitch curve a bit, using less overall throw on pitch and cyclic, and getting rid of most of the expo to lose the mushiness around center.
I didn't like mine at first compared to my MCPX. But changing DR to like 75 and expo of 20 seemed to help a great deal. I think I also added +10 to the first 2 pitch curve settings over stock. Someone recommended +20 but that was too much. I flew mine outside for the first time yesterday and thought it handled the wind really well.

The only caution with these setting is inverted might be a problem. MCPX seemed to flip easier and did not tail wag when inverted. Eventually I could do some decent flips but probably need to do some tuning..
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Aug 2009
5,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
very cool
Here's a different heli cage someone else posted in that thread:
i812 is online now Find More Posts by i812
Last edited by i812; Nov 10, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:44 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
I don't know who said they distrusted product demo flights, but it wasn't me. I pointed out that the blade product video is of a paid professional, which implies a highly developed level of skill. The statement was merely intended to make a distinction between my abilities (what I would call advanced intermediate) and what was demonstrated by flipping under a desk, in a shower stall, etc. (what I would call super-expert near jedi skillz) With the amount of hours I've logged flying helis, it's clear I'll never be THAT good.

In other news, I still find the mCPx to be more stable and easier to fly overall, but I'm starting to like the nano quite a bit after tweaking the curves and getting zero pitch dialed in at mid-stick. I even managed to get a few consecutive flips without hitting anything in my basement (note: NOT under a desk)
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber