SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:30 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Sorry, but I don't use those batteries or the factory charger. As Stuball mentioned - if the charger charges the Eflite batteries, then the problem is with the Mega Power cells.

BTW - those batteries are cheap for a reason. They're only 15c, and the factory cells are 25c. They are extremely low-performance cells, which means they will perform very poorly in this application. Modern UM LiPos are 25c or higher.

Also - if you're serious about the RC hobby, do yourself a huge favor & pick up a decent hobby-grade multi-chemistry charger that displays charge info. Also pick up some adapter cables. You will be very glad that you did.

Joel
yes, this little bugger needs good lipos or it wont fly well at all...
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:20 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,685 Posts
On that note: anyone know what the amp demand is for the nCPX?

What is the mAh on those 15C batts. The 150mAh 25C stock batts out put 3.75amps. A 15C 150 is only 2.25. If it was closer 100-120mAh batt, they could have been drained to the point where it may require a good charger to recover them.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
United States, NH, Nashua
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
i just got my helicopter today and ive flown it 12 times so far giving 5 mins between flights of course. i am intermediate and can only fly mostly tail in inside my house but i love it. i am getting better at flying cp yay.

i am so excited my butt muscles are still clenched

mcx2, msr x, nano cp x, mcp x, 450 x
minkyboodle is offline Find More Posts by minkyboodle
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:56 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
On that note: anyone know what the amp demand is for the nCPX?

What is the mAh on those 15C batts. The 150mAh 25C stock batts out put 3.75amps. A 15C 150 is only 2.25. If it was closer 100-120mAh batt, they could have been drained to the point where it may require a good charger to recover them.
Enough that cheap, low-C LiPos are a waste of money. Remember - many (most?) of the cheapie LiPo manufacturers greatly exaggerate their C-ratings. I've tested a number of cheapie LiPos that were advertised as 25c, but were actually only 7c or so, going by industry-accepted test criteria. Also, the cheapies usually fade away in only 20-30 cycles or so. In contrast, the most reputable LiPo companies tend to rate their cells relatively honestly, and their LiPos usually last for hundreds of cycles. For instance, Hyperion LiPos are noted for their high performance in demanding apps & their 300+ cycle-life at 5c charge.

As is the case with most things in this world - if it's really cheap, there's always a reason, and if the deal seems too good to be true, it nearly always is.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Nov 08, 2012, 07:57 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,896 Posts
Pretty fun isn't it!

Ordered more spare parts stock again today, just for spares...

Grips, Head, Main Shaft, Yellow Tailblade. Will be pretty set now for any
contingencies, besides a motor and servo.

Great little Heli! Enjoying this one way more than the mCPX I had.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
$3.99 for 25c 150 mah lipos from e flite at horizon hobby.com if you are from the states its a great deal!!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Since this heli is brushed do you need breaks between flights to cool the motor down?
kidlat is offline Find More Posts by kidlat
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:45 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidlat View Post
Since this heli is brushed do you need breaks between flights to cool the motor down?
No not at all...
only if temps are near 160*
temps under that will not do any harm
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
133 Posts
Quote:
yes you should wait 5 mins after each flight to let the motors cool so they have a longer life, you don't want to burn them out.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
hmm... who to believe..
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyboodle View Post
yes you should wait 5 mins after each flight to let the motors cool so they have a longer life, you don't want to burn them out.
they burn out when they get to hot... not from normal warm temps
metal takes more that 100* F to destroy it
none of my UM helis and planes get any cool down time... temps are never an issue
I have 4 packs and fly them back to back every time I fly my Nano
the motors only get to XX* temps flight after flight.... waste of a hobby to have to cool down for 5min after a 4 min flight
or the motors are just plain junk, but they are not.................
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:28 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,895 Posts
Quote:
hmm... who to believe..
LOL. That is the dilemma of everyone who reads forums for technical information, isn't it? Sometimes you just have to go try it out for yourself and verify what you read... FWIW, I always let things cool down for a few minutes after a flight. That typically means that I'll just grab another heli and toss it up in the air.

Started working on slow piros tonight with my Nano. Flew 3 batts where I just did tail-in patterns and then I started practicing slow left and right turns while I paid attention to which way the heli wanted to drift. You know, this was REALLY similar to when I was starting to learn how to fly my MSRX. My right piros tend to have a diameter of about a foot and my left ones have a tendency to want to shoot out from under me. Where have I heard that one before?!?

I did have my first crash though. First one after 9 uneventful (read : dull to watch) initial flights. I was doing a piro and it got away from me. I compensated for it but then kind of over compensated and ended up hitting throttle hold before it ran into a wall. Seems okay though. Flew it again for the rest of the batt (~1 min) and didn't see any problems. Made sure to check all of the servo motions before putting it back into flight. I'd prefer not to have to start learning to do surgery on this guy just yet!!!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll just have to find out for myself then when the motor is done go BL like my mcpx.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2011
4,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboheli View Post
lol. sometimes you just have to go try it out for yourself
yes
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:50 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Mine has been bounced off of and banged into every floor, ceiling, wall, and piece of furniture that I own. I bent the feathering shaft and broke one of the body pins, little cracks in the canopy. That's one tough little bird. I'm still using the first set of blades too. I just smooth out the dings with some 400 grit and that seems to be fine.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56