Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,584 Posts
Wow!!!! I just got my Nano today. Charged up two Turnigy Nanotechs (lol..nano powering a nano) and took the heli up for its maiden flight. This was MY maiden flight as well. This is the first CP heli I've EVER flown. I've flown them in Phoenix on and off just for fun but never really worked seriously at it.

I set my DX6i up exactly as the manual suggested. I bound it to the heli also exactly as the manual suggested (right rudder after holding the bind switch for a few seconds).

I flew it primarily in idle-up normal mode and just concentrated on tail-in hovering. I did switch it over to stunt mode for a few seconds but then went back to idle-up normal as I was excited enough as it was! A touch of negative pitch certainly does send that heli rocketing downward!

I had a few close calls, but I can say that the experience hovering the mSRX AND playing with the mCPX in Phoenix Pro saved my arse and the heli's blades a few times!!!

The blades on mine came out of the box VERY loose and floppy. I have no idea whether my spindle is too loose as well (probably). I did have a couple of times where the heli looked like it was doing TBE but I was also actively trying to compensate for the cyclic motion on the stick at the same time. I've run into this weird little "feedback" loop before when learning to fly the mSRX...so I honestly don't know if any TBE I saw was caused by loose components or whether it was caused by me.

Hoo boy. Now I just have to try to get my butt muscles to unclench. LOL I've got a wild ride ahead of me.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RoboHeli; Nov 06, 2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: I confused "idle-up" with "normal".
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:20 PM
Joined Feb 2007
524 Posts
roboheli,

I tightened my grips/blades just slightly from stock. Mine hovers great, maybe a little tail wag. I think you will like this one and to me I don't see any more time with FP. This CP just takes care of so many of the FP issues. Still not as comfortable inside as with the slower V911s or 9958s (probably need more than dx4e for inside), but outside I'm not quite to nose-in/tail-in funnels, but fff and circuits are fun, even getting into some flips/rolls.

I think idle-up and stunt mode are the same, you probably meant "normal mode", which is what I fly inside. I did find for outside banked turns at speed, stunt mode (idle-up) seems to make them a little smoother (perhaps because the throttle remains steady), but generally flip to stunt mode when attempting flips, otherwise stay mostly in normal mode. I may start using stunt (idle-up) more for all outside flying.

Stay ready on throttle hold and this thing is pretty durable, less parts to break on the head than a FP, easier to work on.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
4,584 Posts
Hi jp. Yes, I meant "normal mode". I'm still not used to the CP terminology yet. Let's see if I can edit the above...

Should I put on the bullet blades? Would that make it a little more stable for learning?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Feb 2007
524 Posts
I have used the bullet blades since I got mine, mostly because several others thought they were better. I can't say for sure that I ever noticed a difference, but I never left regular ones on long enough to give them a chance. Mine are getting a little beat up out near the tips.

I think they do add some stability for learning with. Watching some of the brushless mod videos, they seem to prefer the bullet blades.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:54 AM
Don't tell me, I overdid it.
Joined Oct 2010
38 Posts
The way the reports are going on that subject, I hope that any aftermarket blades we see will be just stiffer perhaps, rather than heavier.
Number1BSArtist is offline Find More Posts by Number1BSArtist
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:17 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,162 Posts
I used to only fly the lighter blades, but after I cracked them I have since started using the bullet blades and I'm really starting to like them. My expo is at 15% and with the lighter blades it was fun and really maneuverable but twitchy, when doing 3d stuff it could be unpredictable but now with the bullet blades it's still very maneuverable and smoother even with 15%.
JLink125 is online now Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:51 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboHeli View Post
.....Should I put on the bullet blades? Would that make it a little more stable for learning?
Yes. As others have noted, the weighted blades increase stability.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,007 Posts
I've heard the bullet blades are hard to find right now. People on the other forum said it's not available till Jan 2013?

@RoboHeli: Welcome to the nCPX club. Fun huh? I think the manual ask for too much expo. You end up chasing your heli. I'd lower it. If you wanna tame it a bit, lower your D/R setting.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:55 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
What do people use for d/r expo settings in stunt mode?
I currently am using the settings provided in the manual.
Passero is offline Find More Posts by Passero
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:25 AM
Joined Dec 2011
4,584 Posts
Thank, guys. I'll swap out the blades tonight and reduce the expo. I currently fly my MSRX with no expo and think that's fine. I'll try that as I definitely felt I was chasing the heli around last night and perhaps was creating some user-induced TBE...

In terms of blade tightness, should the blades be able to move under their own weight or should they be tightened stiffer than that? I've heard from a few posts back that they should be tightened down like that but am not sure what kind of effect I should expect from either configuration... Maybe I could tighten them down just enough that they don't move under their own weight and then back the screw off a half turn...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Jan 2009
484 Posts
I noticed the motor is about to bog when I tried tic-tocs with the bullet blades. Not with the speed blades.
Teckos is offline Find More Posts by Teckos
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
916 Posts
Just got 2 pair of skids in the mail. I can remove the current paper clip skids. Did I see somewere that someone had put tape between the two runners? Was this for added strength?
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:33 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,048 Posts
Happy

Got mine today (only 7 left in the whole of Germany as far as I can tell) , packet delivered at around 11:00. The wife called me so I went home at lunch time and quickly set up my DX 6i following the manual, charging a battery at the same time. Test hovered on the uncharged batt in the living romm and everything was spot on!! Went back to work with a fully charged pack and hovered around the packing bay (why did it shrink when I spooled up??). This little Baby gets pretty quick pretty fast don't she .
Second pack was ready so I went around to the Repair Bay because thay always have a vehicle bay free (we repair Tanks and any other military equipment where I work so the bays are quite big), powered up, flew a couple of circuits then fliped her inverted. Jeez, a tenth of a second later I was rocketing towards the ceiling almost horizontally (work that out) 'cos she rolled FAR faster than my MCPX and pitch is also a lot more powerful. I LIKE it (I think)
BUT (never begin a sentence with and, but or because) I am going to have to get used to this little power bundle .
PaulB is online now Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Nov 07, 2012, 06:37 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,775 Posts
We had a big project last night, after-hours at work and I got to fly the Nano in the lobby during a (window). Higher ceiling, lots of room, but the air coming out of the slotted long vents would blow me around quite a bit, (down-wash).

Still had lots of fun in the half dark area, but only got two flights in, instead of the planned six. Duty called surprisingly early and we ended up back on a three hour technical call. Boxed her up and brought it home late.

Have yet to see the vid, but was hovering close in various angles in front of a camera hanging from the ceiling, glowing in the dim light.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:25 PM
Beginner Pilot
United States, NY, Coram
Joined Jul 2012
374 Posts
Hey!!! anyone order the mega power batteries from heli direct? They were on sale for $.99 each so I picked up 5 of them. They aren't taking a charge in the e-flight charger. It is the only charger I have for these batteries so I don't know if it is the charger or the batteries. I tried 3 different sets of AA batteries in the charger too thinking it was those but it wasn't. Anyone get those batteries??
gs550t1981 is offline Find More Posts by gs550t1981