HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:53 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,471 Posts
So new to Micros. Have had plenty of electric stuff but the Eflite 150mAh batts; I float around the house for about 4 min but charging it only puts back ~70mAh. 80% is 120mAh so should I just run them a little longer as the new batts break in?
I've run the 4 batts about 4 times each so far and they consistently put back in ~70mAh each time.
Push harder/run longer?
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:55 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
If you took them to 20% they would be dangerously over discharged. What is the resting voltage after flight? Should be around 3.7 for optimal battery life. That is my experience anyway.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:00 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,471 Posts
Sorry Ya good point; 3.8V so not really boarder line.
Larger stuff 3.4-3.5V is the norm.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
So new to Micros. Have had plenty of electric stuff but the Eflite 150mAh batts; I float around the house for about 4 min but charging it only puts back ~70mAh. 80% is 120mAh so should I just run them a little longer as the new batts break in?
I've run the 4 batts about 4 times each so far and they consistently put back in ~70mAh each time.
Push harder/run longer?
It only takes 5-6 cycles or so to break in the Eflites, and they are usually nearing end-of-life after just 30 cycles. I'd set the timer so that you land at or before the 80% discharge point.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
If you took them to 20% they would be dangerously over discharged. What is the resting voltage after flight? Should be around 3.7 for optimal battery life. That is my experience anyway.
The 80% discharge rule applies to all LiPos - regardless of capacity. BTW - unloaded voltage is an unreliable indicator of discharge depth. It is far better to go by the mAh required to recharge.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:34 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I am liking Hyperion Lipos is there any other in the same price range to look at and try ?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:45 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The 80% discharge rule applies to all LiPos - regardless of capacity. BTW - unloaded voltage is an unreliable indicator of discharge depth. It is far better to go by the mAh required to recharge.

Joel
The way I read his post was that he thought he should be putting closer to 120mah (80%) back into the battery after flight. I thought that was pulling too much out of the battery. Is that approximately what should be going back into the battery after a full flight?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:08 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
It depends upon where you live. If you're in the UK, Miniaviation's UM cells would be a good alternative to the Hyperions. I'm not sure if they have the 300+ cycle life of the Hyperions, though. The Turnigy 160 30c UM cell gets good reports on power & punch, but I'm not sure about their cycle life. I stick with the Hyperions, as I have had better luck with them than the others I've tried. I love their excellent voltage-holding ability under high loads, extremely flat discharge curve, and their 300 cycle lifespan at 5c charge.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:13 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I have 3 of the E-Flite 150's and 2 Hyp 160's from RC Babble, he somehow lightens them, and they weigh less than the 150's.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:13 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
The way I read his post was that he thought he should be putting closer to 120mah (80%) back into the battery after flight. I thought that was pulling too much out of the battery. Is that approximately what should be going back into the battery after a full flight?
Yes. An 80% depth-of-discharge on a 150mAh cell is 120mAh. Set your flight-timer so that it takes around 110 mA to recharge after a really aggressive flight. You want to have a bit of reserve, just in case you happen to fly an unusually aggressive flight.

Yup - RCBabbel's lightweight UM cells & UMX packs are unquestionably the best performers out there. I also build my own lightweight UMX packs. But RC does a better job on them than I do, so I usually buy his.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 04, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
I just looked for the Hyperions but they seem to be out of stock...
They sound like good alternatives. I'm only using them indoors but I'm using them quite frequently.

Today alone I had like 20-30 flights spread over 6 batteries.
Passero is offline Find More Posts by Passero
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:39 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,471 Posts
Thanks Guys. Even if I push it up to 100mAh I'd be up a minute or so longer.
Cheers.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,471 Posts
Hey. So 5 min hit exactly 3.7V after a nice and easy flying around the hse and that allowed exactly 120mAh back in.

So as youguys said I'll back off from that. Outside when I push a lot more I guess factory 3-4min make sense when pushing it harder.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:29 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Oct 2012
76 Posts
Just a question about the main motor. I see a lot of people saying the main motor won't last long.
What's the deal with that? As I'm new to the hobby and heli's, I would expect that things like a main motor would last unless you brake it in a crash. From what I can read, it looks like you have to replace the motor quite often. Or is that mostly because of crash damage?

I have been flying my nano for about 60 or more flights and I don't see any problem. I have to admit, I don't dare to go into stunt mode and 3D . It's just gentle flying around the house. Learning to hover in all directions.

Just wanted to know if I should order a batch of main motors because I hate to ground the nano because of lack of spare parts.
Passero is offline Find More Posts by Passero
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined Feb 2007
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passero View Post
Just wanted to know if I should order a batch of main motors because I hate to ground the nano because of lack of spare parts.
If you don't have a local hobby shop which stocks them, I'd have one on hand. That is one advantage to HH stuff for us in U.S., most every local hobby shop stocks parts versus China stuff where we would have to keep spares on hand. Course a few weeks ago when I visited Chicago, it took 5 calls to 5 different shops before one had any stock. The others could get them from factory within a day.

My motor lasted a month, but was still running just weak and sometimes wouldn't start unless I gave it a nudge by hand. So depending how your motor goes out you may have some warning where you can still fly easily while waiting for new motor, but motors fail in different ways so you can't count on it.
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard