Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
2 Turbos...Nope 1 Big one
United States, PA, Lake Wynonah
Joined Aug 2004
1,801 Posts
Hey Demoman,
Be sure the feathering shaft isnt too tight.
If it's too tight for the grips to rotate freely, it will give some TBE
skeppley is offline Find More Posts by skeppley
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:07 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,598 Posts
Check out the cool thread that jlk69 found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlk69 View Post
Check this thread out.
There's a picture of a Nano wearing a scale MD500 fuselage (from a Bravo SX). How cool!
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMan2502 View Post
I haven't been able to find much info on this problem. So far I have replaced the main rotors, grips and feathering shaft, but it still does the same thing. My next thought is to replace the swash plate. Has anyone had any issues like this before? I don't remember it being like this since new, and it is a pain to do anything with precision as the heli has a mind of its own where it wants to go. I also recently have started with the vibration issue that people have reported recently, but that's the least of my issues right now. This toilet bowl needs to be flushed away! :P
Also refer to the previous post....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1962
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMan2502 View Post
Hey everyone! So I'm fairly new in the whole hobby grade r/c heli field. I have had several cheapo coax helis, but a few weeks ago decided to step it up and get a nano cpx. I've had numerous successful flights (and crashes of course), but now I have something that I think the correct term is called the 'toilet bowl' effect. This all started about a week ago when I was trying to take off, and the feathering shaft nut somehow came loose, and one blade flew off. That was something I wouldn't have thought would happen... Anyway, I luckily found the nut and put it back on, and ever since then I have been having this issue. Basically when I move straight back and then let go of the stick, the heli either almost swings and rotates about itself (pivots about the top of the main shaft), or makes a large gradual loop (more of a U shape) to the right. At points it will move itself up to 4 feet over before it stops and hovers again. Moving forwards and strafing side to side I don't seem to notice this issue.

I haven't been able to find much info on this problem. So far I have replaced the main rotors, grips and feathering shaft, but it still does the same thing. My next thought is to replace the swash plate. Has anyone had any issues like this before? I don't remember it being like this since new, and it is a pain to do anything with precision as the heli has a mind of its own where it wants to go. I also recently have started with the vibration issue that people have reported recently, but that's the least of my issues right now. This toilet bowl needs to be flushed away! :P
When you reinstalled the feathering shaft nut you probably tightened it too much. Loosen it until there is just a hair width of lateral play. My experience is that too loose is better than too tight.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:54 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,041 Posts
Finally finished my brushless conversion from astroid designs wow she flies nice power boost to do 3d with my MD520 fuze. With the stock motor the added 5g of weight sure made her sluggish with the scale fuse, now no issues.

btw mad props to Varc at HF, for the tutorial on the MD520 fuse install.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:56 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,777 Posts
Anyone putting some type of Locktite on the Feathering Shaft nut? I don't relish the thought of mine flying apart. My one mCPX blade just missed my face on the first flight...
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Anyone putting some type of Locktite on the Feathering Shaft nut? I don't relish the thought of mine flying apart. My one mCPX blade just missed my face on the first flight...
I use blue Loctite on mine. It works great. No problem getting the nut off if needed.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Feb 2007
527 Posts
I use black liquid electrical tape, dries black and rubbery like the stuff that was originally on mine. I also use it on main gear to CF main shaft, again looks like original stuff. Then on the solid rod 1.8mm cf material I had to make tail boom, used the liquid tape to glue joints at frame and tail motor holder.

Quote:
jpconard is offline Find More Posts by jpconard
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
243 Posts
swash mix?

has anyone tried any swash mixing yet to get rid off the toilet bowl effect. i remember doing it on the msr many moons ago. it worked a treat. ??
harryxtc is offline Find More Posts by harryxtc
Old Nov 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryxtc View Post
has anyone tried any swash mixing yet to get rid off the toilet bowl effect. i remember doing it on the msr many moons ago. it worked a treat. ??
If feathering shaft nut is properly adjusted there is no TBE.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:29 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Quote:
Check the Feathering Shaft, probably bent. Or Gear slipped down Main Shaft some.
Will check...just to make sure...i take one blade off and spin by hand..correct?

Thanks
Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, CA, Highland
Joined Mar 2009
1,164 Posts
That MD520 looks really nice! here's some pics of my nano with it's big 500 brother. Hoping to get a wild BL kit as soon as they become available again .
JLink125 is offline Find More Posts by JLink125
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
So I loosened off the feathering nut to where there was 1+ mm of tolerance, and it worked fine! The TBE was gone!!! The only thing now is that I will have to lock the nut on using loc tite or something as through my 3 minute flight, the nut was almost completely off the shaft.

I also still have a vibration issue though. It's most noticeable at slow rpm's. When it spins fast enough it seems to even itself out. I can get it to start vibrating at almost no throttle, just when the blades start spinning pretty slow. The only thing I can see that is not balanced is my main spur gear. When It spins really slow, I can see it has a slight wobble to it. But I don't know if this would be the issue because when I can get the vibration to show up at a really slow speed, I wouldn't think this light plastic gear would make the whole heli wobble.
DemoMan2502 is offline Find More Posts by DemoMan2502
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:40 AM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushal_22 View Post
Will check...just to make sure...i take one blade off and spin by hand..correct?

Thanks
Mal
Yes turn the Shaft with the included tool.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
918 Posts
Great post. True words and well spoken. smart man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Every helicopter crash is an extremely random event involving hundreds of force vectors in all kinds of directions. How those forces come to a stop makes a big difference. Since the Nano is light weight, all those forces are small to begin with, and usually not enough to overcome the strength of the parts - but sometimes it will. It's just bad luck, your heli is the same as the rest of them. BTW, that's why you shouldn't put too much value on comments from a single person saying they had a crash and didn't break anything. I've crashed a Trex 500 upside-down without breaking anything - but I've crashed that same helicopter on the skids and broke everything on it. So, you can't tell anything from single anecdotes (that is true of most things).

You can tell something about the durability from the sheer number of people who have dubbed the thing "durable" though - because it's almost all of us. I crashed my Nano 5 or 6 times before I ever got it off the ground, because I was using a bad battery. That is pretty good - and quite a few of us do have multiple-crash data.
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie