HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:25 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,503 Posts
I don't have the module yet. So I can't say for certain. But the video on Hobby King says all you have to do is swap modules. (Forget to mention cutting coax cable to the existing antenna.)

I still recommend er9x for its features nonetheless.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpconard View Post
Please explain what this is. Does it work with stock 9x?, not the er9x flash.

If so it is basically a drop in add-on to get dsmx compatibility with 9x?
I asked this question in the discussion and someone replied saying that it doesn't require custom firmware or anything, just plug and play. I do however think you'll need to cut the antenna wire off of your original 9x module, because it's wired through the case to the antenna on top. There's an old post (on a French forum I believe) that covers this process well, including a way to preserve the ability to use your 9x module later on. I'll try to dig it up for you.

As far as the buddy code price of $16, Hobbyking took that down within 20 minutes of the item being posted. I had it added in cart ready to check out and while I was adding other items they removed the deal :-/. Ended up getting it anyways.
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:31 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampdraw View Post
Adapter ring is definitely eccentric. Even has a notch for "top dead center"

Amp
I was unsure since the only time I eard of it was a single post and he doesnt have the best picture of the adapter ring on his site. A very simple yet effective way to set the mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink125 View Post
Must be nice for those that got a BL kit....seriously it wasn't available when I went to bed and now I wake up and now all the mild kits are sold out!? WTH!?Hopefully the next run will be available soon.
He actually released them on his site at around 6:25 pm GMT-7. I would have been notified earlier if my auto push was set to check more often

He does still have some highspeed versions, though i am sure he will have more kits soon
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:59 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
It's nice to see more module-based transmitter choices. They've been getting tougher to find over the years. Not that long ago, Futaba. Hitec, and JR each had a line of module-based rigs. There were a few others around, as well. Nowadays, Futaba still has their 10C & Hitec has their Aurora 9, but JR recently discontinued their last module-based tx.

I've been flying module-based Futaba rigs since the late 80s. I currently fly with a 10CHP. I can't imagine being stuck with just one band & modulation scheme, and then having to either buy a separate transmitter just to fly BNF stuff, or having to convert my FASST-equipped kit-built & ARF aircraft to Spetkrum.

I really like the future-proof nature of module-based rigs. Just for grins, I dusted off my vintage Futaba FP-7FG/E from the mid-80s, popped in the Spektrum DM8 module + antenna, and flew a 21st century 2.4 GHz BNF plane with a quarter-century-old rig! I set the servo directions via the DIP swtiches, adjusted the end-points, dialed-in some expo & was ready to go. (Yup - those features were available back then.) The looks on the other pilots' faces were priceless as I walked out the the flight-line with a new BNF plane......carrying an antique tx!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:25 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
So, maybe I am expecting to much too soon? I have been trying to fly this thing in my garage for several days. I have gotten it to hover a few times, but every "flight" ends in loss of control and a crash. I do know that it takes alot of practise to do this, even a basic hover. But I am really having trouble even with getting it into a hover.
Whenever I spool up I have to give rudder input or it starts spinning on the ground. Then when I give it enough CP to lift off, it seems to always want to go skidding sideways or backwards or something, never just lift up. Do I need to just practise more? Is my heli all out of whack due to crashes? I have 0 pitch at midstick and have tried different pitch/throttle curves. I do have a MCX2 coming, maybe I just need to learn that one first. Getting frustrated
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:35 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
If you are skidding around you are not getting it in the air fast enough. Get the rpms up then just pop it up into the air

If you currently have a lot of expo and low rates and you are having issues, try even lower rates so it wont zip off but less expo so stick input is more instant
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:41 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Stuball,

In addition to what IH mentioned, make sure that the heli remains stationary until the initialization process is complete. Moving a flybarless bird before the gyros have finished initializing will make it behave erratically. After the initialization, do not move the rudder or cyclic stick until liftoff. Moving the cyclic & rudder controls while the heli is still sitting on the pad can make the flybarless unit try to tip the bird over as it spools up - even if you center the controls before liftoff.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 30, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, AR, Lockesburg
Joined Feb 2012
1,075 Posts
Sounds like the tail motor might not be working. Is it spinning? I've got some hair in it before and had problems. The flybarless system will not like skidding around on the floor. You need to get it up in the air than try to hover. Do you have a simulator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
So, maybe I am expecting to much too soon? I have been trying to fly this thing in my garage for several days. I have gotten it to hover a few times, but every "flight" ends in loss of control and a crash. I do know that it takes alot of practise to do this, even a basic hover. But I am really having trouble even with getting it into a hover.
Whenever I spool up I have to give rudder input or it starts spinning on the ground. Then when I give it enough CP to lift off, it seems to always want to go skidding sideways or backwards or something, never just lift up. Do I need to just practise more? Is my heli all out of whack due to crashes? I have 0 pitch at midstick and have tried different pitch/throttle curves. I do have a MCX2 coming, maybe I just need to learn that one first. Getting frustrated
Petrie is offline Find More Posts by Petrie
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:02 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you, very much. I do see a couple things I should be doing/not doing from the above informative posts. I think I am trying to get it up too slowly, I need to "pop it in the air" as mentioned. I will try all of the suggestions, one at a time and report back. Thanks again for the help.
What about using trim for the rudder? No good? Also, should I be adjusting my ball links so that all are exactly even? One seems to be "screwed" on further than the others.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,049 Posts
My bl kit is on its way
Do da, do da
My bl kit is on its way
Do, do, do do, da day
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Thank you, very much. I do see a couple things I should be doing/not doing from the above informative posts. I think I am trying to get it up too slowly, I need to "pop it in the air" as mentioned. I will try all of the suggestions, one at a time and report back. Thanks again for the help.
What about using trim for the rudder? No good? Also, should I be adjusting my ball links so that all are exactly even? One seems to be "screwed" on further than the others.
As long as you have 0 pitch at mid stick, you should be good to go. Find a place that has some room and punch the collective first without moving the cyclic until it gets airborne and then do your corrections.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:39 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,459 Posts
Quote:
When you spool up, there's a brief moment before the rudder authority kicks in. You can try to spool up 'super slow' to avoid spinning out the, but it's near impossible. You just need to be ready to work the rudder spooling up while everything comes up to speed. Once main blades are up to speed the tail will hold on it's own. You shouldn't need to trim the rudder, unless something is whacked. Definitely don't try to trim the rudder for takeoffs. If the rudder needs any trim at all, you'll have to get it in a nice stable hover first to find out.

Make sure your aileron/elevator stay at zero trim. Don't attempt to trim these. Ideally, your swash arms should be even all the way around, but the AS3X will compensate if they're not.

Don't try to play it safe by inching it off the ground slowly, that's a recipe for disaster. It's extremely difficult to control when it's at ground level. There's barely enough power for either you or the stabilization system to control it in this zone, and the added ground turbulence will just throw it around.

Unless you've programmed out the negative pitch, nano will 'plant' itself on the ground at low throttle. Spool up slowly to get some down force building, but not so much throttle that it's lite in the skids. Don't touch the aileron/elevator. Once the main blades get up some speed, the down force will glue it to the floor and you'll get the tail control back. Use the rudder at this point to straighten things up again. Don't touch the aileron/elevator. Then, only when things are looking good, bump up the throttle quickly to bring it to a hover at eye level. With some practice it will pop straight up and you won't have to touch the aileron/elevator until it's well off the ground.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:59 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you. I am going to give all this a try asap.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
Mini CP - Nano CPX - Devo 6
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Nov 2010
204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
I don't have the module yet. So I can't say for certain. But the video on Hobby King says all you have to do is swap modules. (Forget to mention cutting coax cable to the existing antenna.)

I still recommend er9x for its features nonetheless.
Did you order a module for your 9x? I just flashed mine to er9x but I have no idea how to program my soon-to-arrive Nano with this new firmware. Do you have a model template you plan on using for the Nano?
Couchking is offline Find More Posts by Couchking
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
United Kingdom
Joined May 2012
220 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like most peoples first step into cp heli's
I remember my msr, i could fly that thing backwards, forwards, funnels, fff, then i got an mcpx! WOW it's like a whole new set of rules!
Like others have said pop it up into a hover but YOU will have to fly it,compensate for drifting in all directions.
It won't stay in a hover on its own for long, you need to give constant small inputs with any cp heli to keep it in the hover.
Good luck with your nano.It really is great fun once you get the hang of it and can relax somewhat when flying
cheers
mygeneration is offline Find More Posts by mygeneration